IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Humming sound at ~40-45mph

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-11, 11:27 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Bummer bro, those guys should have told you from the start that you had "bad" wheels. I just picked up my 350 in April, and it immediately needed new tires. Always go through Discount Tire for tires and they get me good deals. After the install and the guy was handing me my final paperwork, he was like...you know, you should really look at getting a new rear wheel. It's definitely bent. I knew I had a bad wheel while driving on the HWY, so I knew this was coming.

Luckily I found on here through another member and it'll be in the mail tomorrow.

GL on your search!
Old 06-02-11, 02:40 PM
bucd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok...updated my post. Finally fixed. I'm just upset the first place didn't test correctly for wheel bearings. GRRR!!!!

UPDATE: 06//02/2011
Ok...after new wheels. Still had issue. Finally got in touch with regional manager of tire discounters. Said to go to another location, i went there and they were able to hear the noise. Quick test found rear wheel bearing going out. So finally found the issue. Luckily i have 69,810 miles on my car and it's still under powertrain warranty. Lexus of Dublin took care of me, they went ahead and replaced both rear wheel bearings and i got the car back today and noise is gone. Great service and finally fixed!!!

-D
Old 06-02-11, 03:22 PM
Devorkion
Driver

Wheel bearings are included in the powertrain warranty?
Old 06-02-11, 08:02 PM
bucd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Devorkion
Wheel bearings are included in the powertrain warranty?
Yes sir! I called to verified before i had other place do the work. And im glad i did.

-D
Old 06-03-11, 06:38 AM
Devorkion
Driver

Hrrrmmmmm, very nice
Old 06-20-11, 10:13 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank u 4 this thread
Old 07-09-11, 11:19 PM
titlenhand
Driver School Candidate

Default IS250 wheel bearing noise

I am posting a video recorded from inside the cabin of my 2006 IS250 (windows are up). Is this same or similar humming sound that you heard in your car that was caused by a bad wheel bearing?

This noise was present for many months now and was initially suspected to be caused by the tires. All 4 tires have been replaced a couple of days ago and the noise persists. The hum can be heard at all speeds, however, it is most noticeable at 40-50mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjZ13bMykho

Last edited by titlenhand; 07-09-11 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-10-11, 10:03 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by titlenhand
I am posting a video recorded from inside the cabin of my 2006 IS250 (windows are up). Is this same or similar humming sound that you heard in your car that was caused by a bad wheel bearing?

This noise was present for many months now and was initially suspected to be caused by the tires. All 4 tires have been replaced a couple of days ago and the noise persists. The hum can be heard at all speeds, however, it is most noticeable at 40-50mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjZ13bMykho
I suspect rear driveshaft outta balance. never heard a wheel bearing do that but here is a way to check if it's your wheel bearing.
Lift a tire off the ground.
Grab the tire at 10 & 3 & try and shake tire/wheel. & 12 & 6 o clock position. If it moves too much. you have bearing issue
Old 07-19-11, 06:48 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Wow, thanks for this thread. Will definitely keep an ear out for humming noise in the 40s - especially before I hit 70k miles so I can get the wheel bearings fixed for free (I'm at 46k-ish right now).
Old 11-20-13, 04:06 PM
ataft86
Driver School Candidate

Default sound coming from the driver side front tire

I have a similar situation, I just bought this beauty and a very happy with it, but this sound is killing me. Its a deep humming sound that comes in waves like mmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm
when I drive over 60. the weird thing (and hopefully identifying) thing is that when I slightly turn to the right it goes away until I come back to going straight.
Ideas?
Old 11-21-13, 02:17 PM
ISterguy
Rookie

I had a similar experience on my 06 IS350. I had hit a LARGE road titty that popped my tire and bent my front left rim. I replaced the rim and tire but then noticed humming at about 60-65mph. When I turned right it would be less and when turned left it was louder. I figured since I hit the titty pretty hard it probably did some damage to that wheel bearing also. I jacked up the car and pulled both wheels & brake calipers off. I then took a pneumatic grinder motor (2200rpm) and adapted a rubber bushing to it and gave both hub assemblies a spin. Sure enough at max speed the left wheel hub made a noise the right did not. I replaced the left wheel whole hub assembly and problem was eliminated. I now have the humming at the rear of the car (I think) much like the original post at between 40-50mph. It has been like this for about a year now but does not appear to be getting any worse. Just bugs me a bit.

Tom
Old 11-21-13, 02:57 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Had a slight humming around 40. Thought it was bearings too and wanted to get it checked out before it got worst. Took it to dealer for warranty work, tech rode shotgun and pinpointed to a transmission bearing. Replaced tranny under warranty. Hopefully yours is a much simpler fix but just throwing this out there.
Old 11-21-13, 03:09 PM
ISterguy
Rookie

Wow, hope its not that. Car has 74K on it now and I don't think it's still under factory warranty. Thing is it doesn't appear to be getting any worse. If a bearing is going out would it not keep degenerating?
Old 11-21-13, 04:53 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ISterguy
Wow, hope its not that. Car has 74K on it now and I don't think it's still under factory warranty. Thing is it doesn't appear to be getting any worse. If a bearing is going out would it not keep degenerating?
Probably. I only put up with it for 1,500 miles before taking it to the dealer. Was cutting it close and almost out of warranty so got lucky... I doubt its the transmission but just in case. Dealer said it was the first time they've ever seen this problem on the 2IS
Old 06-18-19, 10:54 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

I have this noise that gets louder the faster I go from 45 and up. Replaced one bad wheel bearing. Got new tires. Balanced twice. Replaced front rotors and brakes. Replaced engine and tranny mounts. Had rims checked for bends. Replaced tranny filter and fluid twice. Replaced drive shaft center mount. Had drive shaft checked. Diff fluid changed. All pulleys and tensioners checked. However a similar noise presents itself when revving at idle. I'ma rev at 2500 rpm tomorrow morning and see if it sounds the same. Could be a pulley?

Quick Reply: Humming sound at ~40-45mph