IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS-F Style Grille for '06-'08 from Option Racing (ebay)- Part 2, Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-11, 03:29 PM
hazmat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My grille just arrived today, can anyone point me where to find the replacement front emblem the cheapest I don't want to rip out the one from stock. Thanks
Old 05-31-11, 03:42 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rebs
+1 on the AWESOME work!
Thanks .

Originally Posted by suxeLSI003
Definitely respect your attention to detail. Great work btw, it turned out perfect...Didn't you have your finals last week? For you to squeeze in this DIY makes you a champ
Thanks! I finished my finals during the week so when the weekend rolled in, I was free to give this a shot !

Originally Posted by brociouz
I have a carbon fiber emblem ordered and will hopefully receive it within 2 weeks. I'll post pics when everything is done.

Another possibility to cover up the lines might be using the radar cruise control front emblem since IIRC it's a flat and solid disc, but I personally don't like the look of it.

Imagine how great it would be if Option Racing made a matching lower grille. Is anyone from that company reading this?

Once again, you're just like me - OCD FTW. Given what you and rebs are saying I'll definitely keep it matte black for now. At least when the lower is matte black it doesn't attract attention.

CF insert is en route. I've decided to go with a chrome emblem instead of BP. I like the contrast of chrome, the fact that it matches all the other chrome on my car, and if I paint the grille a gunmetal-like color I think it would blend too much. The chrome also makes my CF emblem inserts really pop.
I'll be waiting to see pics of that CF insert...I really dislike those lines behind the emblem . Don't forget to let us know how you fabricated a mount for it!

I thought about using that radar emblem but not only do I not like the way it looks, it also feels kinda weird to put that on when my car isn't equipped with that feature!

Le sigh, sometimes I feel like it's OCD FTL .

Good call on keeping the emblem chrome to match
Old 05-31-11, 04:03 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hazmat
My grille just arrived today, can anyone point me where to find the replacement front emblem the cheapest I don't want to rip out the one from stock. Thanks
You can always check eBay. Just make sure the part number is listed and they guarantee it's OEM. That doesn't necessarily guarantee you'll get an OEM emblem though. If you're ****, I'd just order one from Sewell with the CL discount. Maybe try your local dealer and see if they'll price match if you don't want to deal with shipping.
Old 05-31-11, 09:35 PM
hazmat
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexitegra
You can always check eBay. Just make sure the part number is listed and they guarantee it's OEM. That doesn't necessarily guarantee you'll get an OEM emblem though. If you're ****, I'd just order one from Sewell with the CL discount. Maybe try your local dealer and see if they'll price match if you don't want to deal with shipping.

you know the part number? sorry im bein lazy
Old 05-31-11, 11:27 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW i can't wait to see the grill in person, i have to jump on one of these too!

Last edited by KillaIS250; 06-01-11 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-01-11, 08:52 AM
mym3
Rookie

I just bought the grille from ebay, can't wait to put it on my car^^
Old 06-01-11, 11:36 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll be waiting to see pics of that CF insert...I really dislike those lines behind the emblem . Don't forget to let us know how you fabricated a mount for it!
I'm thinking of just trying to adhere it to the horizontal lines... It should be enough surface area to keep it in place, I'd just be worried about water. Hmmm...

Last edited by brociouz; 06-01-11 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-01-11, 11:37 AM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250

BTW i can't wait to see the grill in person, i have to jump on one of these too!
You are certainly welcome to take a gander at the next meet! I think it looks way better than OEM . Did you get your front lip on yet?

Last edited by Lexitegra; 06-01-11 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-01-11, 11:43 AM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

I'm thinking of just trying to adhere it to the horizontal lines... It should be enough surface area to keep it in place, I'd just be worried about water. Hmmm...
So you'll have them extremely recessed? Do you think it will fit between the large plastic "L" piece (I'm not sure how precise the inserts typically are to the emblem sizing)? Hmm...I never thought about recessed mounting...it might work!
Old 06-01-11, 12:17 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=brociouz;6432320]
I'll be waiting to see pics of that CF insert...I really dislike those lines behind the emblem . Don't forget to let us know how you fabricated a mount for it!QUOTE]

Wouldn't wind and things like bugs, rocks, etc potentially cause issues as well (utilizing just the horizontal lines as a mount)?

I really hate those lines as well. A few months ago, I dedicated an entire week to searching up solutions, but I'm not as creative as some of you guys (and girls). Are you getting the cf insert on ebay, or did you find a different vendor?

At one point, I was going take a piece of tin and wrap it in carbon fiber w/clear (because I happen to have both on hand) and then mount the emblem to the tin/carbon fiber...and then mount that whole thing to the grill, but it's just not as ... clean as I would like.
Old 06-01-11, 01:46 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

So you'll have them extremely recessed? Do you think it will fit between the large plastic "L" piece (I'm not sure how precise the inserts typically are to the emblem sizing)? Hmm...I never thought about recessed mounting...it might work!
I didn't consider how recessed the emblem insert would be... meh, I'll just figure things out when it arrives.

Originally Posted by rebs
Wouldn't wind and things like bugs, rocks, etc potentially cause issues as well (utilizing just the horizontal lines as a mount)?

I really hate those lines as well. A few months ago, I dedicated an entire week to searching up solutions, but I'm not as creative as some of you guys (and girls). Are you getting the cf insert on ebay, or did you find a different vendor?

At one point, I was going take a piece of tin and wrap it in carbon fiber w/clear (because I happen to have both on hand) and then mount the emblem to the tin/carbon fiber...and then mount that whole thing to the grill, but it's just not as ... clean as I would like.
I don't think those things would be an issue. There are enough horizontal lines that it would be stable, as long as the adhesive holds.

I got the CF insert from Kazz through L-Tuned Parts, that way I can put "Kazz-Sports" in my CL signature. Honestly though, I just wasn't sure about the eBay fitment and wanted to play it safe. It's only $50 anyway for the "real" thing. Maybe someone else has tried the eBay inserts and can comment.

Any pics of that tin/CF experiment?
Old 06-01-11, 03:47 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

I didn't consider how recessed the emblem insert would be... meh, I'll just figure things out when it arrives.

I don't think those things would be an issue. There are enough horizontal lines that it would be stable, as long as the adhesive holds.

I got the CF insert from Kazz through L-Tuned Parts, that way I can put "Kazz-Sports" in my CL signature. Honestly though, I just wasn't sure about the eBay fitment and wanted to play it safe. It's only $50 anyway for the "real" thing. Maybe someone else has tried the eBay inserts and can comment.

Any pics of that tin/CF experiment?
Oh you got the insert there too, eh? I thought you just bought the emblem with the CF. Either way is cool.

No pics of that tin/CF experiment. I never followed through with it. It seems viable, but if that $50 emblem fits decent...well I'm lazy and would rather go that route. :-)
Old 06-01-11, 11:03 PM
viprtwo
Driver

i found one on ebay for $90 plus $25 shipping~!
Old 06-02-11, 06:02 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

^ How'd that work out for you? Pics? Link?
Old 06-02-11, 08:21 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's 3 different forsale threads, with prices varying from ~$120-130 shipped. Are they all essentially the same, or any of them better quality than the next?

Quick Reply: IS-F Style Grille for '06-'08 from Option Racing (ebay)- Part 2, Installed!