IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS-F Style Grille for '06-'08 from Option Racing (ebay)- Part 2, Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-11, 01:41 PM
Alias
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good! I agree with spraying it with some sort of gunmetal gloss so it pops out a little bit more. Nonetheless great job!
Old 04-25-11, 01:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Very cool!!
Old 04-28-11, 09:26 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I like it! Do you think it would be possible to install a carbon fiber emblem insert with the grille?
Old 04-28-11, 09:51 PM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ had the same thought too, and I would say "may be", and it "may not" be securely attached unless you super glue the insert I guess.... the place where the insert goes is different between OEM and IS-F style grille; the OEM one is solid back where the IS-F has see-thru wholes with 2 -3 horizontal bars. if you have the insert handy, test fit on mine next time we meet
Old 04-28-11, 10:28 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks brociouz! There unfortunately isn't a large enough surface area to adhere a CF emblem insert . I perused the aisles at AutoZone and even Michaels looking for a way to create one, but it was difficult to test without having any inserts! I'm thinking of using styrofoam of some sort that I can cut and mold to the open areas, but then I'll have to figure a way to create a smooth surface vs the pocked foam surface for better adhesion. I'll be removing it to paint it (once I figure out how and what color) and if by that time I've found some inserts to buy, I'll test out some of my ideas and share for anyone interested. Of course if you or anyone else has any suggestions, they are welcome!

Last edited by Lexitegra; 04-29-11 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-28-11, 10:45 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ If the surface you adhere the L emblem to is on the same geometric plane (i.e. not curved), perhaps you could manufacture a plastic or metal oval. Then adhere that oval to the surface area that the emblem used to be on and put the emblem on top of that oval. Then you'd have a flat surface to stick the CF emblem inserts on. Only thing I can think of at the moment.
Old 04-29-11, 02:04 PM
SILVRLININ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexi, great work with the DIY. I think a touch of paint would give it a unique and complete look. Perhaps gunmetal could bring it out and give it some contrast.

Originally Posted by SPNinjA
Looks good, bro. I would get it but, the stock grill doesn't bother me enough to change it...;
Bro, I hope ur now convinced that Lexi is a female friend.
Old 04-29-11, 03:19 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

This is kinda of a side topic (but it's related). I did the grill swap, but I broke one of the clips on the weather stripping. Can anyone lend a hand on finding the correct part number? I looked through Sewell and google'd it but I just can't seem to find the correct ones.
Old 04-29-11, 05:12 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brociouz
^ If the surface you adhere the L emblem to is on the same geometric plane (i.e. not curved), perhaps you could manufacture a plastic or metal oval. Then adhere that oval to the surface area that the emblem used to be on and put the emblem on top of that oval. Then you'd have a flat surface to stick the CF emblem inserts on. Only thing I can think of at the moment.
I think it's slightly curved. Even so, I might be able to find a pliable/flexible plastic to use in the same application you're suggesting and don't think it would present a problem. It would just require that I remove my emblem . I tried fabricating a styrofoam insert support and failed horribly at getting a smooth surface ! That probably wasn't the best way to go .

Originally Posted by suxeLSI003
Lexi, great work with the DIY. I think a touch of paint would give it a unique and complete look. Perhaps gunmetal could bring it out and give it some contrast.
Thanks! I definitely want to paint it, but I also haven't figured out how to paint only the surface without having to paint it by hand with a small paintbrush. I was hoping I could find some sort of stiff roller type brush to use on the surface. I haven't had much time to look into this though .

Originally Posted by rebs
This is kinda of a side topic (but it's related). I did the grill swap, but I broke one of the clips on the weather stripping. Can anyone lend a hand on finding the correct part number? I looked through Sewell and google'd it but I just can't seem to find the correct ones.
These little guys:

In case you can't read the part number: 90467-07137
Old 04-29-11, 05:42 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexitegra
I

In case you can't read the part number: 90467-07137
You are my new best friend. Thank you soooo much!

p.s. If you know a supplier that has reasonable shipping rates on these, please feel free to pass it along.
Old 04-29-11, 07:34 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm doing an install of this exact part from eBay tomorrow, thanks so much for the write-up and info!
Old 04-30-11, 01:23 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by calvin2376
I'm doing an install of this exact part from eBay tomorrow, thanks so much for the write-up and info!
You're welcome! Though it's not really a DIY since I omitted pictures of bolts, clips, and tabs to remove, I'm glad it was helpful!
Old 04-30-11, 03:31 PM
DOUGLis350
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure what you mean by excessive black on the emblem area. I have the 200 eBay grille and just went to look at it. Emblem fitment is exact top to bottom, look oem. There are 0 fitment issues.
Old 04-30-11, 04:27 PM
IS35O
Pole Position

Was hoping it would have the same finish as the real IS-F
Old 04-30-11, 05:15 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DOUGLis350
Not sure what you mean by excessive black on the emblem area. I have the 200 eBay grille and just went to look at it. Emblem fitment is exact top to bottom, look oem. There are 0 fitment issues.
Well then maybe yours is different after all! If you look at my close-up picture of the grille, you'll see that while there is very little excess black plastic showing on the inside part of the "L", there is a noticeable margin of excess black plastic showing along the bottom of the "L".

Quick Reply: IS-F Style Grille for '06-'08 from Option Racing (ebay)- Part 2, Installed!