IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pics of my '06 IS250 with 2011MY headlights w/ LED Strip

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-11, 12:21 PM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lenscap2
Did you disable the DRLs before you did the installation or after?
I had the DRLs disabled after installation, but before I got the LED strips functioning (since I had the headlights installed for about a month prior).
Old 05-03-11, 12:39 PM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Thinktwice
For anyone wishing to do this upgrade... the pics below will save you some time and frustration. This is the end result of how the wiring in the harness connector should look to get them to function.

Also, I forgot to mention that you'll need a 2011 (HID headlight version) relay flasher to get the turn signals to function correctly. If not, they will flash rapidly as if one of your signal bulbs blew since you're technically going from 2 bulbs in each side to only 1. With the new flasher, everything will work as normal, including arm/disarm flashes. The part is $60, part # 81980-06020. Hope this helps:

Just to make more sense of the photo:

As you can see in photo #2, there is a green wire in the upper left hand corner of the connector. I removed both the red wire and black wire (LED + and -) that used to be right next to the green wire. The black wire I inserted next to the white/black striped wire (previously empty). The red wire I spliced with the white/black striped wire. And that's it, it's now plug n play. You can use the little brown plugs from your old headlight connector to plug into the empty wire holes to prevent water from getting in.
Old 05-03-11, 12:56 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinktwice
The red wire isn't from the headlight, but is one of the 3 wires that plug into the LED strip (beneath the headlight). And yes, red is LED +.
if the red wire is the LED + so we can wire that wire straight to fuse box so every time when the car turn on the LED is on too? without toggle the switch?
Old 05-03-11, 01:25 PM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ohiois350
if the red wire is the LED + so we can wire that wire straight to fuse box so every time when the car turn on the LED is on too? without toggle the switch?
Yeah I guess that could be a solution for those that want it to be used as DRLs with the auto switch on.

I personally prefer to turn the LEDs off on sunny days for the simple fact that they're not as bright as the Audi LEDs, so it's harder to see on a bright sunny day anyway IMO. I believe Lexus purposely made them not as bright so that the signal light can be easily seen by other drivers (unlike Audi which temporarily turns the LEDs off whenever the signal is blinking).
Old 05-11-11, 10:04 AM
kenysl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed my sewell kit today on 2008 ISF, confirmed the AFS light will keep on flashing. Tried turning off AFS but it just would not allow to turn off. So I believe only alternative is to kill the light, but then how difficult is that?

I actually asked sewell too about the flashing AFS light but they said it stays lit, I am waiting for their explanation/solution on this!!!

But the light do look amazing, at least people knows this is a new car. The LED is very bright, I also have a 2010 Audi and this LED is brighter/denser then the Audi's.
Old 05-11-11, 10:06 AM
kenysl
Rookie

P.S. the flashing light do get annyoing as it catches your attention when u look at the dash!!!
Old 05-11-11, 10:28 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kenysl
Installed my sewell kit today on 2008 ISF, confirmed the AFS light will keep on flashing. Tried turning off AFS but it just would not allow to turn off. So I believe only alternative is to kill the light, but then how difficult is that?

I actually asked sewell too about the flashing AFS light but they said it stays lit, I am waiting for their explanation/solution on this!!!

But the light do look amazing, at least people knows this is a new car. The LED is very bright, I also have a 2010 Audi and this LED is brighter/denser then the Audi's.
I think when they test the new LED lights on when the car is not moving? that is why the AFS not flashing? or now you have to remove the dash to get that afs light off to kill that light
Old 05-11-11, 10:41 AM
bforbrian
Pole Position

Wow, some genius work here, great job.
Old 05-11-11, 11:50 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Do you remember the wiring on your connector by any chance? Maybe its just me, but I don't think the LEDs are very bright at all on mine, especially compared to an Audi A4 for example. I'm thinking that I may need to splice the wire with a different one.
Old 05-11-11, 03:52 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

I think LED look bright when you stand far away, but not look bright when up close? when I went to the dealer and look at the LED is on, it not bright up close that why I didn't like at first, but for some reason the LED that I saw was not white? it look like yellow? may be in the day light? but I never see the IS LED in white yet? may be it look whiter when low beam on?
Old 05-11-11, 04:04 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

P.S. the flashing light do get annyoing as it catches your attention when u look at the dash!!!
Good Luck getting a hold of Sewell . Id recommended you PM Dave(site admin) if they dont get back to you within a week. Or maybe ask for Daves email him and just CC him . They replied to like only half of my emails, and never returned my phone call. Atleast another member can confirm that the AFS light flashes.

Heres my proof

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBJG5E2zcW0

To fix, you need to remove your Gauge cluster and block the led so light doesnt come out. If you remove the led, chances are that half of your lights will go out with it as i believe they are all daisy chained together, like the rest of the onboard leds.

In the video below around 00:51 you can see the lights no longer flash. We tackled the Flashing LED after doing a DIY led interior swap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfzX4...eature=related

OP - Sorry for going off topic

Last edited by JoshIS408; 05-11-11 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-11-11, 08:13 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Hi Josh so what you did was remove that afs light? or can that afs led cover?
Old 05-12-11, 06:26 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

For the people that did the swap, did you turn off AFS through the info console before doing the swap? Doing this with stock pre-2011 headlights results in an AFS Off light that stays lit.
Old 05-12-11, 06:32 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by VikH
For the people that did the swap, did you turn off AFS through the info console before doing the swap? Doing this with stock pre-2011 headlights results in an AFS Off light that stays lit.
You cant access on / off after the lights are installed. You can Access it with one light installed (Like Sewells video) . Sewell should have done more extensive research, and maybe not beat around the bush when we ask questions. Needless to say even if you were to some how access the "off" AFS option via the switch, if you ever reset your ecu, or disconnect your battery, you would be back to square one.

ohiois350 - You need to completely remove your Cluster, couple screws and clips, takes ~ 15 - 20 min. The Light emits through a circular enclosure, you need to block that enclosure off with black electrical tape or something similar so that light does not pass through for that specific led. If you remove the led off the board, I believe the rest of the lights in the lower left cluster will go out aswell as they are daisy chained off one another.
Old 05-12-11, 07:25 PM
Lenscap2
Pit Crew

I had the Sewell kit installed last week and the flashing AFS light does not bother me as much as I thought it would. I'm thinking of trying to put a small black vinyl window cling over it before I have the dash taken apart.

I had a Lexus certified body shop install the lights and they had two issues. First, the light bracket that bolts to the bumper only lines up on 4 of the 6 screws. Second, they couldn't get the wires past the headlamp module without ruining the modules. I called Sewell and talked with Darrel, who then called the body shop. Only having 4 bolts hold the bumper is fine, so that was resolved. With the wires, Darrel said to cut them. But the body shop told me they wouldn't do that because it would result in corrosion. So after running the wires they replaced my headlamp modules with new ones (the old ones were ruined).

I am very pleased with the final result. Not only are the LEDs very bright, but the look of the new headlamps when the car is off is much nicer in my opinion than the older lights. I love the blacked out housing.

Quick Reply: Pics of my '06 IS250 with 2011MY headlights w/ LED Strip