IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pics of my '06 IS250 with 2011MY headlights w/ LED Strip

Old 02-13-12, 11:42 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Since posting my diagrams earlier I have installed them in my car that way and can confirm everything works as expected. They come on 100% when the engine is running, stay at 100% if the marker is turned on, and drop to 50% with low or high, and they come on at 50% with marker, low or high when the car is off.

It is of course quite a bit more complicated, but I do enjoy the correct functionality. Wonderful.

Jeff

Jeff,

Glad to hear the good news..!!

Any chance you documentated the process with Photos and parts needed for some of us DIY'ers...

~ Joe Z
Old 02-13-12, 11:47 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we need to find an electrical diagram to stop that AFS light
Old 02-13-12, 12:01 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
Jeff, I am wire diagram DUMB to put it at best words.

Any physical instructions? run wire here, tap this, so on and so on? LOL
Unfortunately I probably won't be able to do anything that simple for it, there's just too much wiring involved.

I will put together a semi-DIY post on how to do it, but you'll need to be able to read wiring diagrams.

Originally Posted by robertrios
I'm pretty sure unplugging the AFS computer should take care of that, from my research, though you will lose auto-leveling if you do that (which might not be working anyway since the AFS light is on?)

I never had AFS so I cannot confirm or deny that.

Jeff
Old 02-13-12, 12:02 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by robertrios
Already dug that up.. It's written into the ECM.. there is no way to disable, snip or fool it..

~ Joe Z
Old 02-13-12, 12:09 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe: Ohhhh lol I got it now

My other side should get here on tuesday, I'll post a before picture when its here.

Jeff: ahhh damn, well i'll wait on that semi DIY and ask a million question
Old 02-13-12, 12:09 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks Joe,

It literally took me 9 hours from start to finish in terms of taking things from my old headlights, putting them in the new, find the flasher unit, and then the pinouts killed me.
I would've trie the red tapped into the black/white but I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone and get rid of the orange and power the LED

Thanks again

JE

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Glad you got it John... I didn't have "time" to search for different options...

As I mentioned in post # 203 of this thread... "Thinktwice's" original wiring worked, his updated version has NOT worked for anyone else...

All I did was snip the thin Red wire and tap it to the Black&White wire underneath it..
I then moved the green wire (for 100%) to the empty slot right next to the Black&White wire that I tapped.. and I was done..

I didn't not touch the amber led lighting as I like how it works..

~ Joe Z
Old 02-13-12, 12:14 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

yea the pinouts were a PITA at first but I finally figured how to pop them out with some help, as well as taking apart my ballast sockets, thanks to mr. joe
Old 02-13-12, 12:19 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

The fact that some of us have been able to get the headlights to work properly (less the 50% brightness) and we all have different wiring patterns, makes me believe that maybe we just need to figure out the right pin sequence and it will work like factory.... if only we could find someone with these headlights from factory who would be willing to take theirs off and snap a picture.
Old 02-13-12, 12:22 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

That's not going to happen. I have all of the wiring diagrams, I know how they work from the factory. It's all controlled by the front controller in the multiplex ECU in the main engine bay fuse box. If you bought the 2011 HID MPX ECU, and added the wires from the ECU to your headlights, you could get them to work like factory. I can also tell you how all of yours are working, you're not going to just stumble upon some magic combination that will get everything working. Sorry

New MPX ECU is honestly the easiest way to do it. The cheapest way is to do it like I did.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 02-13-12 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-13-12, 12:44 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

aw man

would you mind explaining how we all have different patterns yet they work?

thanks jeff
Old 02-13-12, 12:55 PM
enlight
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you share on exactly which wires you would need to run from the 2011 MPX ECU to the headlights?
Old 02-13-12, 01:12 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
aw man

would you mind explaining how we all have different patterns yet they work?

thanks jeff
There are various wires running into the headlights, that do the same thing. All of the ground wires go to the same place, so you could tap into/use any of a large number of tires for that and it would work. There are 2 wires for +12V to the marker light and running light, they both come on at the same time, so either one of those would do the same thing.

Take a look at this wiring pinout, it shows you what all the wires on the lights are for:

Originally Posted by enlight
Could you share on exactly which wires you would need to run from the 2011 MPX ECU to the headlights?
Pin 4 from the 2G connector on the MPX ECU to Pin 22 on the headlights
Pin 12 from the 2G connector on the MPX ECU to Pin 24 on the headlights
Ground Pin 23 on the headlights

I actually did notice wires in my 2011 non-HID car-side harness going to Pin 22 and 23, but I didn't probe where the other end was going to. It's possible I may have had a couple of the wires going to the correct places already.

Jeff
Old 02-15-12, 06:53 PM
grassmoker
Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Glad you got it John... I didn't have "time" to search for different options...

As I mentioned in post # 203 of this thread... "Thinktwice's" original wiring worked, his updated version has NOT worked for anyone else...

All I did was snip the thin Red wire and tap it to the Black&White wire underneath it..
I then moved the green wire (for 100%) to the empty slot right next to the Black&White wire that I tapped.. and I was done..

I didn't not touch the amber led lighting as I like how it works..

~ Joe Z
hi joe! im sorry but i just want to ask if you spliced the red wire to the black and white wire and do you really have to get that relay for flashing? i have 2006 is350 with halogen tho andi just want to make sure that im doing the right thing sorry. thanks!!

Last edited by grassmoker; 02-15-12 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-18-12, 06:20 PM
Nate008
Pole Position

Questions for you braniacs lol.

Just installed the 11 LED headlights on my 08 IS-F. All the lights/LED's work properly etc. However the dash is now lit up with CHECK VSC, the traction control symbol, the ABS and BRAKE lights are also on. None of those were on before install.

I know the dreaded AFS light stays flashing and I am ok with that one.

Also, I bought the flasher relay since 08 headlights had 2 turn signal bulbs and 11's only have 1 and installed that to where I thought it should go under the steering wheel area (part I took off looked just like it just a different color). Even with the new relay the turn signals still blink very rapidly. The relay I replaced was pretty much just on top of the actual top of the brake pedal . Did I replace the wrong part? Is there another relay in that area that looks just like it? Don't know why I'm still getting "ricer" turn signal speed lol.

Thanks for any advice/help.

Nate
Old 02-18-12, 06:47 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Nate,

I'm not sure what you disconnected but it was not the flasher box. The flasher box is pretty high up almost behind the dash cluster, you really have to get on your back and look up to see it. It's a turquoise / blue ish box, that's the one you want to replace. It's more above the accelerator than the brake pedal if the helps.

John

Originally Posted by Nate008
Questions for you braniacs lol.

Just installed the 11 LED headlights on my 08 IS-F. All the lights/LED's work properly etc. However the dash is now lit up with CHECK VSC, the traction control symbol, the ABS and BRAKE lights are also on. None of those were on before install.

I know the dreaded AFS light stays flashing and I am ok with that one.

Also, I bought the flasher relay since 08 headlights had 2 turn signal bulbs and 11's only have 1 and installed that to where I thought it should go under the steering wheel area (part I took off looked just like it just a different color). Even with the new relay the turn signals still blink very rapidly. The relay I replaced was pretty much just on top of the actual top of the brake pedal . Did I replace the wrong part? Is there another relay in that area that looks just like it? Don't know why I'm still getting "ricer" turn signal speed lol.

Thanks for any advice/help.

Nate

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pics of my '06 IS250 with 2011MY headlights w/ LED Strip