IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pics of my '06 IS250 with 2011MY headlights w/ LED Strip

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-11, 08:11 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by PNice972
whats a good wire to tap for the ACC. i just got everything installed in my IS, i have a free day tomorrow and want to get the LED strip to turn on without turning on the parking lights.
Like thinktweve said the green wire from the small plug under the headlight is the 100% bright leds wire and the black wire from the same plug is 50% bright it function like when the low beam turn on so the leds get dimmer. If the we can not make the leds work like the way it suppose to work like 2011, I gather wire the leds to acc power so every time the car turn on the leds turn on as well, at least the leds it work like it suppose to work in 2011 without turn the parking light on
Old 05-26-11, 10:17 PM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ohiois350
Like thinktweve said the green wire from the small plug under the headlight is the 100% bright leds wire and the black wire from the same plug is 50% bright it function like when the low beam turn on so the leds get dimmer. If the we can not make the leds work like the way it suppose to work like 2011, I gather wire the leds to acc power so every time the car turn on the leds turn on as well, at least the leds it work like it suppose to work in 2011 without turn the parking light on
yeah, i got all of that but I was wondering which wire would be the best to tap for the ACC.
Old 05-26-11, 10:30 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

you mean the ACC wire? if that I don't know which wire it is, but when you look in the engine compartment fuse box their is a fuse slot for ACC? I have to look again to confirm that, but the way I hard wire my radar detector is wire to the acc fuse box by using the fuse spliter with extra wire to connect to detector. It is the same way with the fuse box in the engine bay too.
Old 05-27-11, 11:04 AM
hybridanim
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinktwice
Only one of the wires can be used at a time. If you want to use the green wire, you'd just leave the black wire where it already is originally. I'm working on a fix however to use a relay (SSR) to act as a switch between the two, with the low beam being the trigger.
Thanks again! works like a charm. Just switched it over yesterday. There's a huge difference in brightness, especially during the day.
Old 06-06-11, 10:35 AM
89Scores
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just about to do this mod and need some clarification.
Think twice - your method is to remove the Thin Black wire and place Solid Green Wire in it's place. Is the Black wire completely disconnected and not used for anything? This will make LEDs function at 100% by turning on the parking lamps and when headlights kick on.
Brighter is better so I say LEDs 100% for 100% of the time and annoy anyone in front of you. They should be behind you any way right.
Here is a question if anyone can answer. Can you splice and connect both Thin Black and Solid Green Wires to go in the Thin Black wire slot so you do not need to use Parking Lights and utilize the Auto Feature and just leave it.
Is there any danger to both wires sending power at the same time?
Any help much appreciated.
Old 06-06-11, 10:55 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

in my opinion is to run the solid green to it own switch ( which can be turn on and off) and relocate the black wire to where the green wire originally from, so during the day time it could be turn on by the switch, and turn that off and leave it switch off and turn the light on to get only 50% bright as the low light on too, I think that would be the best way to make the leds is 100% bright when the low beam not on and it could be 50% bright when the low beam is on?
Old 06-06-11, 11:07 AM
89Scores
Driver School Candidate

My goal is to have 100% LEDs 100% of the time while functioning in the Auto Headlight option
Old 06-06-11, 11:21 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 89Scores
My goal is to have 100% LEDs 100% of the time while functioning in the Auto Headlight option
OH I see, I wonder what it look like at night time when 100% bright, I do like brighter than 50% dim, if your goal is 100% bright, if I would be you, I wire that green wire straight to acc 12V fuse box, so every time I turn the car on the leds will come on too, so you don't have to worry about turn the toggle on or off or even auto on, that leds will be on as soon as the car turn on
Old 06-06-11, 01:48 PM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 89Scores
I am just about to do this mod and need some clarification.
Think twice - your method is to remove the Thin Black wire and place Solid Green Wire in it's place. Is the Black wire completely disconnected and not used for anything? This will make LEDs function at 100% by turning on the parking lamps and when headlights kick on.
Brighter is better so I say LEDs 100% for 100% of the time and annoy anyone in front of you. They should be behind you any way right.
Here is a question if anyone can answer. Can you splice and connect both Thin Black and Solid Green Wires to go in the Thin Black wire slot so you do not need to use Parking Lights and utilize the Auto Feature and just leave it.
Is there any danger to both wires sending power at the same time?
Any help much appreciated.
Actually, in the pic I posted just pretend the thin black wire isn't there because I believe that slot is empty in the 2011MY headlight by default. But that's the slot where the green wire needs to go for the LEDs to function at 100% brightness via the parking light switch.

I personally haven't tried to use the black wire and green wire at the same time, I'm not sure what would happen. My guess is that the green wire would simply override the other one if they were spliced, if not something worse. But regardless, that wouldn't be the solution because that slot simply provides power to the parking light when it's switched on.

If you want the LEDs to operate at 100% brightness while using the Auto function on the stalk, you'll need to connect that green wire to ACC somehow so that it automatically illuminates every time you turn your car on.

Last edited by Thinktwice; 06-06-11 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-15-11, 07:55 PM
flyfl1pguy

thinktwice do you have a step by step on how to do this mod?
Old 06-15-11, 11:49 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great! Kinda too much work for my newb self, but its an excellent mod nonetheless.
Old 06-16-11, 12:08 AM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

Tap to white ignition wire. problem solved. Every time car is on led strips on full brightness. when turned off, led goes off. Just get your DRLS disabled and leave the stalk on auto
Old 06-16-11, 07:59 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flyfl1pguy
thinktwice do you have a step by step on how to do this mod?
I don't only because at the time it was mainly trial and error, but I'll try to do one after I figure out how to get the LEDs to function like they do on the "11 models (bright when low beams off, dim when low beams on). I just need a sunny Saturday when I'm free to try out my idea as I already have the parts I need.
Old 06-16-11, 10:20 AM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

Please do a write up when you get a chance.

This will be my next mod, soon as they fix the paint bubbling problem.
Old 06-16-11, 02:17 PM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
Tap to white ignition wire. problem solved. Every time car is on led strips on full brightness. when turned off, led goes off. Just get your DRLS disabled and leave the stalk on auto

Where is this wire? Are you talking about on the headlight harness??? I tried to tap the green wire into both the thicker white wire and thinner and they both didn't work.

Quick Reply: Pics of my '06 IS250 with 2011MY headlights w/ LED Strip