IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY: 2006 IS250 sealed transmission replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-17, 11:42 AM
woowoo
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you "the Jeff" from Jeff garage on YouTube?!
bro I was able to change my crankshaft pulley because of you! #2jz Thanks a lot seriously!
back to topic
I have a buddy of mine's Foos transmission keeps going into safe mode limp mode and I was curious about the wiring solenoid...
he did a transmission flush or fluid exchange and it worked perfectly for about a week and he takes long commutes to work
however his check engine light came on in his transmission went back into limp mode
Old 04-11-17, 02:13 PM
chriso5573
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you drain the transmission before removing? I have a transmission jack and am hoping to swap without draining. Thanks again!
Old 04-11-17, 02:18 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by chriso5573
Did you drain the transmission before removing? I have a transmission jack and am hoping to swap without draining. Thanks again!
If you're talking about an auto trans, you'll not have to worry about draining any fluids. However, there are lines external of the trans that you'll have to disconnect that will leak some minor amount of fluid.
The following users liked this post:
chriso5573 (04-11-17)
Old 04-17-17, 08:38 PM
chriso5573
Driver

For the top bolts 12 o'clock bolt on the bell housing, I had to use an impact wrench with no extensions because the extensions would make it loose torque. It also could be because I took it out last but hope that helps someone. I was only able to fill the transmission (per the filling instructions) with 5 quarts and then it started coming out the fill hole. Maybe I put too much??
Old 04-17-17, 11:00 PM
motoxxx
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice DIY!....
Old 10-06-17, 02:37 PM
jehmin
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello sorry for the newb question but how do you remove the bolts from the torque converter? which mode of attack did you use. Did you go in from the top or the bottom and what tool did you use? for some reason my socket keeps slipping off. im not sure if bolt is getting deformed or not. Also what is the best way to keep the fly wheel from turning? can the torque converter be left on the engine or will it get damaged if i drop the transmission?
Old 10-14-17, 03:34 PM
chriso5573
Driver

That's legitimately the hardest part of the transmission swap. I did everything else by myself. You need a socket that can angle slightly and attack it from underneath with a long extension and a breaker bar while someone else holds the flywheel from spinning with a long screwdriver or what have you. Hope this isn't too late for it to help! Everything else is a piece of cake in comparison to these 6 bolts.
The following users liked this post:
jehmin (10-15-17)
Old 10-15-17, 09:00 AM
jehmin
Driver

That's legitimately the hardest part of the transmission swap. I did everything else by myself. You need a socket that can angle slightly and attack it from underneath with a long extension and a breaker bar while someone else holds the flywheel from spinning with a long screwdriver or what have you. Hope this isn't too late for it to help! Everything else is a piece of cake in comparison to these 6 bolts.
Im still working on it..
So i used a compact impact i got 3 out of 6 out but the other 3 wont budge...
the screws are starting to strip and my sockets wont grip tight on it. Iv tried heat and pb blaster already.
Some of the problems im faceing are space and getting the socket to fit on the bolt. its kinda short and its not getting enough grip to it.
That other little portion of metal on the engine or ac is blocking me from the socket exactly 100% on it.

I even tried to use an angled adapter with the socket and a long extension to the impact to start impacting where the radiator would sit but it didnt seem to have enoug torque and grip to get it off. the extension of the bolt was almost 2 ft maybe and i think it lost power driving that thing.
Old 10-15-17, 09:40 AM
chriso5573
Driver

I wouldn't recommend using an impact anything on these. You're more likely to strip the bolts. You honestly need a special socket not a regular socket with the elbow adapter. Those cheap elbow adapters are too floppy. Image below is the ball joint socket I used and worked like a charm. With this and a breaker bar and extension you're much less likely to strip it. Just take it slow.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: 2006 IS250 sealed transmission replacement-s9710ka.jpg  
Old 10-15-17, 10:11 AM
jehmin
Driver

I wouldn't recommend using an impact anything on these. You're more likely to strip the bolts. You honestly need a special socket not a regular socket with the elbow adapter. Those cheap elbow adapters are too floppy. Image below is the ball joint socket I used and worked like a charm. With this and a breaker bar and extension you're much less likely to strip it. Just take it slow.
I actually have the angled adapter of those. 1/2". It looks to be of limmited range but more robust in handeling torque compared to the standard angled adapter. saw the integrated socket set too but my local hft only had the integrated shorts not the deep. I also didn't know how much more effective it would be compared to the adapter itself. So i never purchased it. Because mine is already starting to strip and a 14mm won't fit properly. I'm about to hit it with and air hammer a little or buy one of of those bolt extractors. That's threaded counter clockwise but it's only a 3/8 drive
Old 10-17-17, 09:03 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Would removing the starter gain you access to what you need better?
Old 02-20-18, 02:10 PM
sicilygirl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whazzzzuup
Remove shifter link and attach to new transmission:
Attachment 434524

Old transmission coming out:
Attachment 434525

Transmission out:
Attachment 434526

New transmission with half-shaft attached:
Attachment 434527

Flywheel (where the torque converter attaches):
Attachment 434528

When the new transmission lines up this pin will help with the process. You can adjust the torque converter to line up with the flywheel by sticking a hand into the starter hole, reaching back there and moving it.

Reinstall in reverse. Good luck! Thanks for looking.

P.S: These pictures should also help a member that may wanna just install headers or an exhaust.
Can you explain "reinstall in reverse?"
My mechanic said he marked the front where the differential connects, but for the rear where the male/female splines are, they can't see that part and it's difficult to get it aligned (different transmission with my old mount). Is that kind of what you are referring to?
Old 02-20-18, 02:21 PM
Texas149
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Can you explain "reinstall in reverse"
Simply means put it all back together in the reverse order, ie the last thing you took off goes back on first, and the first thing you took off goes on last....
Old 02-20-18, 02:24 PM
sicilygirl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Texas149
Can you explain "reinstall in reverse"
Simply means put it all back together in the reverse order, ie the last thing you took off goes back on first, and the first thing you took off goes on last....
oh thanks. didn't address my issue then! I'm wondering how they aligned the splines in the drive shaft since my mechanic said it's "guesswork"
Old 02-20-18, 02:57 PM
Texas149
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

oh thanks. didn't address my issue then! I'm wondering how they aligned the splines in the drive shaft since my mechanic said it's "guesswork"
I think ' your mechanic' might be thinking of a manual transmission that has a Clutch Plate that needs careful alignment on re-assembly?

what issue ? just insert the female of the driveshaft into the male splined shaft in end of gearbox ( Transmission!). It's the UJ end that should go back in exactly the same place on the diff flange ( to negate any chance of imbalance problems)

bigger prob is gonna be the top bell housing fixings I reckon!

Last edited by Texas149; 02-20-18 at 03:10 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY: 2006 IS250 sealed transmission replacement