IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is it necessary to strictly follow Lexus Maintenance Schedule?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 06:40 PM
skinfan2k
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hate to ask all these dumb questions but thanks. I just brought 12K on my 09
Old 04-12-11, 07:35 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

At major intervals I would get everything checked out. If you have a good dealer they will take care of you. Full service records always help at resale.
Old 04-12-11, 07:35 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanIS350
Very good discussion...

The last service I got was one of the larger ones where they go through that long list of inspection activities. They actually found that one of my rear calipers was seized and replaced it under warranty. To me, this made the expense worth it because I would have never noticed on my own.

Right now I'm at 48,000K, and due for a service. I'm actually thinking of getting them to do the long list of inspection activities again this time in case they can catch anything before my warranty expires.

What do you guys think? Is this a good strategy or am I wasting my money?

Most places I know of will inspect brakes free for the asking anyway.

Most of the other inspections are checking for leaks that'd be visually obvious both to the observant owner and the guy under the car changing the oil.

I suppose doing a $100 once-over just prior to warranty expiration isn't the worst idea I've heard though.
Old 04-12-11, 07:56 PM
LiLC
Driver School Candidate

I just picked up mine last week it had 35k miles on it and its a 07 IS250 would it be a good guess that they did all the necessory maintence on the car since I just bought it and would 7k miles be good for the next oil change and 1 more question would putting regular gas in the tank hurt performance in it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-12-11, 08:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by Keppie
...Full service records always help at resale.
This is a myth. I've never been asked for service records on any car I've sold.

I also pretty much ignore the "recommended service" and stick to the inspections Lexus says need to be done, but I don't pay anyone to work on my car.
Old 04-12-11, 09:19 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LiLC
I just picked up mine last week it had 35k miles on it and its a 07 IS250 would it be a good guess that they did all the necessory maintence on the car since I just bought it and would 7k miles be good for the next oil change and 1 more question would putting regular gas in the tank hurt performance in it.

Thanks in advance.
I'm sure the maintenance was done, most Lexus owners are probably on top of the maintenance (i'd hope ). If you don't know when the last oil change was done, just do it now anyways. Can't hurt.

And yes, regular gas would affect performance. The engine is optimized to run on 91. 87 gas isn't the same and you'll probably start getting knocks/pings and other little noises as well a slight dip in performance and MPG.

Btw sign up on the Lexus owners site and you can see what history (if any) there is with Lexus dealers as far as servicing goes:

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Old 04-12-11, 10:02 PM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Most places I know of will inspect brakes free for the asking anyway.

Most of the other inspections are checking for leaks that'd be visually obvious both to the observant owner and the guy under the car changing the oil.

I suppose doing a $100 once-over just prior to warranty expiration isn't the worst idea I've heard though.
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to do it for peace of mind. I would hate for them to find something after the warranty expires that I could have detected if I had done it.
Old 04-12-11, 11:50 PM
freeflight
Driver

Great discussion, I learned a lot. Special thanks to Kurtz for listing key maintenance items. I think I am going to cherry picking those from now on.
Old 04-13-11, 06:02 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
This is a myth. I've never been asked for service records on any car I've sold.
I think the only time service records could help resale value would be if you're trying to sell the car on your own and you have a potential buyer ask (usually the smart ones will). This happened to me in the past. If you're simply trading the car in obviously none of that stuff matters.
Old 04-13-11, 06:33 AM
Keppie
Lead Lap

I only traded in once. I sell private. When a potential buyer meets you and you hand a copy of every service record it helps a lot. If I was trading in it would not matter.
Old 04-13-11, 06:35 AM
LiLC
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
I'm sure the maintenance was done, most Lexus owners are probably on top of the maintenance (i'd hope ). If you don't know when the last oil change was done, just do it now anyways. Can't hurt.

And yes, regular gas would affect performance. The engine is optimized to run on 91. 87 gas isn't the same and you'll probably start getting knocks/pings and other little noises as well a slight dip in performance and MPG.

Btw sign up on the Lexus owners site and you can see what history (if any) there is with Lexus dealers as far as servicing goes:

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Wow cool site I didnt know they had a place like that lol. 10000 MILE SERVICE NON WARRANTY-NON OEM this was at 35k miles arent they a little behind? So I have to spring for the 100.00 a gallon gas lol ouch I shoulda bought a pinto lol lol
Old 04-13-11, 06:35 AM
monet33
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

since you have a 2010 model, you should get 2 free oil changes as stated on the window sticker I think.
Old 04-13-11, 12:18 PM
kevetard
Rookie

i try to justify asking for the "10k" service...my dealer (santa monica) has a $25 off minor service and im pretty sure most dealers have some type of service discount... so heres my breakdown

$150
-$25 coupon
-$50 bucks for a tank of gas
-$20 for a car wash

so in total you're really only paying $55 for a oil change and "inspection." Im not sure if the dealership includes a car wash with a oil change but if they do then it might be worth it just to ask for that. Thoughts?
Old 04-13-11, 12:22 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ Car wash should be free though. Every Lexus dealer ive delt with does them for free, even if you get just the oil change. Some even give you a free wash just by itself if you want one. I always skip the dealer wash though...not good for the paint!
Old 04-13-11, 12:24 PM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kevetard
i try to justify asking for the "10k" service...my dealer (santa monica) has a $25 off minor service and im pretty sure most dealers have some type of service discount... so heres my breakdown

$150
-$25 coupon
-$50 bucks for a tank of gas
-$20 for a car wash

so in total you're really only paying $55 for a oil change and "inspection." Im not sure if the dealership includes a car wash with a oil change but if they do then it might be worth it just to ask for that. Thoughts?
I think you should ask them how much it would cost to have them not wash your car.

Quick Reply: Is it necessary to strictly follow Lexus Maintenance Schedule?