IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is it necessary to strictly follow Lexus Maintenance Schedule?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-11, 12:31 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanIS350
Right now I'm at 48,000K, and due for a service. I'm actually thinking of getting them to do the long list of inspection activities again this time in case they can catch anything before my warranty expires.

What do you guys think? Is this a good strategy or am I wasting my money?
I think this is a very, very smart idea. Paying $100-$120 for an hour's worth of labor to do a full checkover of the car and diagnostic checks is definitely worth it. There are too many posts on CL of people saying "I'm 500 miles out of warranty and now ____!" to count, and this check won't of course identify every potential issue, but it could definitely save you some headaches.

Also, just to throw my 2 cents in to the more general discussion, my personal opinion is that you should follow Lexus' recommended maintenance schedule, as very few people know better than the manufacturer how to properly maintain and care for a car. In the luxury car world, Lexus is far and away the best when it comes to recommended maintenance. By this I mean Lexus has the fewest maintenance recommendations and therefore is the least expensive of the luxury car manufacturers. I've owned Mercedes and BMW and both had far more stringent and expensive recommendations. Let's all be happy Lexus isn't recommending a $200-400 maintenance service every 5k/10k and just take care of our cars!
Old 04-13-11, 12:43 PM
kevetard
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinktwice
I think you should ask them how much it would cost to have them not wash your car.
you're right if i could i would ..but given that i dont own a house to wash my car myself the dealership isnt any different than any other car wash i take my car to..my car has to get washed somehow..i just have to take the extra time polishing and waxing it when i get home
Old 04-13-11, 12:55 PM
viper522
Driver

Originally Posted by SeanIS350
I'm actually thinking of getting them to do the long list of inspection activities again this time in case they can catch anything before my warranty expires.

Or they fracture something by being clumsy and it doesn't fully break until JUST after that darn warranty expires, leaving you holding the bill. Just playing devil's advocate.
Old 04-13-11, 01:44 PM
freeflight
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by monet33
since you have a 2010 model, you should get 2 free oil changes as stated on the window sticker I think.
I think only the 1st one at 5K is free.
Old 04-13-11, 01:46 PM
freeflight
Driver

BMW has free maintenance program for 4 yrs/50k miles.

Originally Posted by calvin2376
I think this is a very, very smart idea. Paying $100-$120 for an hour's worth of labor to do a full checkover of the car and diagnostic checks is definitely worth it. There are too many posts on CL of people saying "I'm 500 miles out of warranty and now ____!" to count, and this check won't of course identify every potential issue, but it could definitely save you some headaches.

Also, just to throw my 2 cents in to the more general discussion, my personal opinion is that you should follow Lexus' recommended maintenance schedule, as very few people know better than the manufacturer how to properly maintain and care for a car. In the luxury car world, Lexus is far and away the best when it comes to recommended maintenance. By this I mean Lexus has the fewest maintenance recommendations and therefore is the least expensive of the luxury car manufacturers. I've owned Mercedes and BMW and both had far more stringent and expensive recommendations. Let's all be happy Lexus isn't recommending a $200-400 maintenance service every 5k/10k and just take care of our cars!
Old 04-13-11, 02:06 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by freeflight
Have you seen how much servicing is after that though?
Old 04-13-11, 02:13 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by freeflight

as well they should since their cars cost many thousands more.

A 335i similarly (but still not quite as well) equipped would've cost $9000 more than my IS350.

I would HOPE I at least get some oil changes for that.
Old 04-14-11, 02:39 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Yes but BMW also started to change their maintenance intervals to be longer. They originally had oil changes every 5000 miles but now they're at 10000 mile recommended oil changes. Plus the maintenance only covers scheduled services which within the 4 years or 50000 miles, you'll end up with 5 free oil changes, 1 free brake pad service, 1 to 2 free brake fluid flushes and a couple of free filters. At 60000 miles you'd want to change your spark plugs which is not covered. Honestly, I can do all of these "free" services" myself.
Old 04-14-11, 03:44 PM
freeflight
Driver

Do you always get a free tank of gas when you take the car in for service?
If so, then the price is less outrageous.

Originally Posted by kevetard
i try to justify asking for the "10k" service...my dealer (santa monica) has a $25 off minor service and im pretty sure most dealers have some type of service discount... so heres my breakdown

$150
-$25 coupon
-$50 bucks for a tank of gas
-$20 for a car wash

so in total you're really only paying $55 for a oil change and "inspection." Im not sure if the dealership includes a car wash with a oil change but if they do then it might be worth it just to ask for that. Thoughts?
Old 04-14-11, 03:55 PM
freeflight
Driver

No question about the value of Lexus, otherwise I wouldn't have bought one. I am just pointing out a fact.
Old 04-28-11, 09:04 PM
Tanquen
Driver School Candidate

Default What is the deal with the first two free services?

Before I bought my 2011 IS250 I looked online and it said (somewhere) that you got two complimentary services. One at 5,000 miles or six months and one at 10,000 miles or twelve months. I’ve now seen this in my 2011 IS 250, IS 250C Warranty and Services Guide as well. So why is did the dealer put a sticker in the window saying that the two free services are at 1,000 miles or 0ne moth and at 5,000 miles or six months??? Which is it? I'm a moth late for my one month.
Old 05-08-11, 09:58 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

^ when I bought my '08 IS 350 new, iirc, I got a 1k service and a 5k service for free. The 10k service oil change I paid for. There's also a free alignment you can get done before 12k if your car needs it which I did.
Old 06-23-14, 03:41 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looking to buy the 60k kit from sewell. is there anything else i need besides some mobi1 oil ? do i need brake fluids?
Old 06-24-14, 04:34 PM
trblmkr
Driver School Candidate

You've been given excellent advice! Speaking as the owner of an Independent shop (I'm merely the mouse in his pocket)--for $50 or less in our part of the country (unless you want/require synthetic), any good technician is going to do nearly everything on that list (check brakes, top off fluids, reset maint light,etc.). The exception is that we don't wash/vacuum it for you, and it will only be road-tested if the technician notes something unusual or the owner requests it.

A large part of our business is built on giving our customers GREAT service and that means that EVERY time your car comes in, it will be given the once-over. Our customers appreciate it when we are able to let them know that while they don't need X, Y or Z, now, they will need it in _____ amount of time and it will cost approx $XXX. While we STRONGLY encourage routine maintenance, we don't fix things that aren't broken, nor do we charge our clients out the wazoo. We do provide documentation that your service was performed in the event that your vehicle requires warranty work at some time in its life. (Many folks don't understand that the service does not have to be performed by the dealer. Particularly important when there is NO dealership in your town!)

I'm not bragging on "our" shop. I am simply pointing out that ANY reputable independent shop should do all of those things...and generally for a significantly less than the dealer. There are rare occasions when we send a car to the out-of-town dealership, i.e. when an unusual repair requires a special tool that we will likely never use again.