IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Problems upshifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-11, 04:41 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems upshifting

Has anyone else had an issue with upshifting out of 4th at WOT since getting the gas pedal campaign completed? I took my car in and had the valve spring and gas pedal campaigns completed on the car and now when I floor the car it won't shift up to 5th gear during WOT. It basically stops accelerating at 110 and throws a flashing CEL. Then the CEL goes away. Strange thing is, during cruising, if I never downshift to 4th, I can cruise past 110 as long as I don't floor it. The dealership tried erasing the shift points on the ECU to teach the car how to shift all over again and I did all the steps they told me to, but still, I can't make it past 4th gear at WOT.

Has anyone else experienced this or know a solution?
Old 04-04-11, 05:24 PM
Devorkion
Driver

If you are talking about the IS350, yes.

Since the gas pedal campaign I have noticed that the gas pedal feels sloppy (meaning you have to press further than normal for good acceleration), and the car feels a little sluggish.

I had the campaign done 2 weeks ago...about to go back and b*$%!.
Old 04-04-11, 06:58 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by Devorkion
If you are talking about the IS350, yes.

Since the gas pedal campaign I have noticed that the gas pedal feels sloppy (meaning you have to press further than normal for good acceleration), and the car feels a little sluggish.

I had the campaign done 2 weeks ago...about to go back and b*$%!.
Yeah, that is exactly what I have.. But have you tried flooring it and seeing if your car goes faster than 110? My car basically won't upshift from 4th to 5th when I am flooring it.

I am wondering if anyone has actually tried going that fast and what the outcome was..?
Old 04-04-11, 07:54 PM
Devorkion
Driver

Is the car warmed up when you go for 110? If not, the car will stay in gear to warm up.

I will try for 110 tonighy and let u know bro man
Old 04-04-11, 08:06 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Is the car warmed up when you go for 110? If not, the car will stay in gear to warm up.

I will try for 110 tonighy and let u know bro man
Yeah, it is completely warm.. I can pass 110 if I don't floor it, but if I floor it and hit WOT then it just won't shift to 5th and continue to go faster.. the dealership is doing research and so is Lexus Corporate so hopefully someone has an idea on what the issue is.
Old 04-04-11, 09:19 PM
Devorkion
Driver

Did not experience the delay in shift from 4th to 5th getting to 110.

However, city driving, I notice now that the car tries to get to 6th as fast as it can...so it always seems like it is in too low of a gear for normal driving.

I will report this to corporate and my Dealership, see what they say...I feel like I have lost my pep'ness.
Old 04-04-11, 09:20 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

the gas pedal campaign is them just cutting the bottom inch or so off the pedal and then reattaching, correct? I declined this when I had my valve springs done. I'll have to try the 110 thing...so basically, in 'manual' mode 4th gear around 90-100....floor it & shift to D and see if she'll go into 5th?
Old 04-04-11, 09:42 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

does your car red line in 4th gear since it wont go to 5th gear? if so, is there a relation with the flashing CEL light that u see come up?
Old 04-04-11, 09:42 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Did not experience the delay in shift from 4th to 5th getting to 110.

However, city driving, I notice now that the car tries to get to 6th as fast as it can...so it always seems like it is in too low of a gear for normal driving.

I will report this to corporate and my Dealership, see what they say...I feel like I have lost my pep'ness.
That's good.. Maybe it's just my car or something..

Originally Posted by replica
the gas pedal campaign is them just cutting the bottom inch or so off the pedal and then reattaching, correct? I declined this when I had my valve springs done. I'll have to try the 110 thing...so basically, in 'manual' mode 4th gear around 90-100....floor it & shift to D and see if she'll go into 5th?
They actually replace the pedal and reflash the ECU, which is why the dealership thinks it may have been this recall that is causing the issue.

And not in manual mode, just normal driving in auto, I stomp on it and it gets up to about 6400RPM and then just remains there and does not shift into 5th gear (this happens to be at about 110). I had my dash display on telling me which gear I was in and that is how I figured out it was 4th that wouldn't shift up to 5th. If I don't stomp on it and just give it enough gas to slowly accelerate, I can pass 110, so I know I am not governed at 110, but for whatever reason the car won't shift up to 5th while at WOT.

I guess it could possibly have to do with my mods, but the wierd thing is I could floor it and get above 110 before the reflash and recalls were completed, however now I can't.
Old 04-04-11, 09:45 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by crazybuggy
does your car red line in 4th gear since it wont go to 5th gear? if so, is there a relation with the flashing CEL light that u see come up?
Yes. It basically stops accelerating and then a big billow of white smoke goes out the exhaust and I get a flashing CEL. It will either go off in about 15 seconds, or I have to stop and turn the car off and back on and it resets and stays off. The CEL code last time was P0300, which is a Random Backfire code which doesn't explain much.
Old 04-04-11, 09:58 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AZ JB
They actually replace the pedal and reflash the ECU, which is why the dealership thinks it may have been this recall that is causing the issue.
My buddy has a '10 Highlander...they just cut off the bottom of the pedal on his, lol. Sounds like you should see if they can reflash back to normal/sign a waiver?

Have you noticed a change in your MPG since they reflashed? Glad I opted out of this gas pedal nonsense....
Old 04-04-11, 10:04 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by replica
My buddy has a '10 Highlander...they just cut off the bottom of the pedal on his, lol. Sounds like you should see if they can reflash back to normal/sign a waiver?

Have you noticed a change in your MPG since they reflashed? Glad I opted out of this gas pedal nonsense....
Yup, MPG has actually gone down.. And I asked about reflashing back and they said they can't. I'm so annoyed over this..
Old 04-05-11, 10:50 AM
Devorkion
Driver

Since the reflash for me, my gas mileage has gone up, but the car tries to get to sixth gear prematurely.....car feel less peppi, sluggish acceleration under normal load.....
Old 04-05-11, 11:07 AM
Devorkion
Driver

Just spoke with Lexus corporate, thet said no reflashing was done. The ECU software was "upgraded" for the brake pedal to supercede the gas pedal when both pedals are pressed together.

Hmmm....then why are we suffering different issues? Should we have them "Reboot" the ECU and let car relearn like a new Lexus off the lot?
Old 04-05-11, 11:21 AM
AZ JB
Advanced

Just spoke with Lexus corporate, thet said no reflashing was done. The ECU software was "upgraded" for the brake pedal to supercede the gas pedal when both pedals are pressed together.

Hmmm....then why are we suffering different issues? Should we have them "Reboot" the ECU and let car relearn like a new Lexus off the lot?
I am gonna inquire about that with my dealership on Thursday. they said give them til Thursday or Friday to do some of their own research and see what the issue may be.

I also spoke to Corporate and the guy said that I am supposed to let off the gas near redline of 4th gear and then give it gas again and it should upshift, however my point is that it never used to do that so why is it doing it now.

Quick Reply: Problems upshifting