IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Asked for Lexus Glass, Got chinese aftermarket...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-11, 04:49 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Asked for Lexus Glass, Got chinese aftermarket...

I stopped into a "windshield chip repair" place. The ******** doing the work tightened the screws too tight and cracked the windshield. They don't guarantee crack repair work so all they could offer me was $50 off a new windshield.

2 weeks later I take them up on it. I told them to make sure it's "lexus" glass. They come. Not lexus glass but this guy guarantees that this glass is as good as OEM so I go for it.

It's "benson" some chinese auto glass manufacturer. I can see parts of the glass are a little wavy. I'm not sure of the process or fitment but i see dried cracked plastic on the sides exposed that was not exposed before.

Am I too picky for considering going back and raising heck?
Old 03-30-11, 04:55 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd go back and say something pronto.

Also, (someone correct me if I'm wrong) why are they tightening the windshield if chip repairs consists of using a gel that injected into the crack or chip?
Old 03-30-11, 05:03 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

the tool they used had some center piece (suction cup-like) that the gel goes into...then on the sides are two little tightening screws that tighten little posts or something. I didnt get an upclose look. All I saw was the guy turning these little screws (shouldve been done delicately obviously) I just saw the guy (with a smoke hanging from his mouth talking to his buddy) tighten it without paying much attention and then .....a big long crack.

I wish I wouldn't have fallen for the "this glass is as good as the oem lexus" speech. I figure if the glass that was on it was perfect.....the new glass should be perfect.

I think it's a matter of the glass company screwing over the insurance company and i'm the one suffering haha.
Old 03-30-11, 05:11 PM
Micaiah

If the insurance co is paying for this and you had specifically asked for OEM then I'd tell the insurance company this is NOT Lexus glass as you had ordered.

Even though the guy told you it's the same, it is not your expertise to know which is which unless you know to look for the Lexus logo on the corners.

And a lot of people really don't know that. WE may because we are **** about our cars and know every inch. But I bet grandma won't really look for the logo, she would trust the glass company.
Old 03-30-11, 05:12 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So they made the crack worse and they charged you for a whole me windshield and then gave you a crappy one at the? Shady! Take it back and tell him he promised you as good as oem and he didn't deliver.
Old 03-30-11, 05:26 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Yeah I managed to catch them before they close. They say they will look into finding a lexus windshield but at this point I seriously doubt the integrity and overall work that this place does. I'm on hold currently with insurance (good insurance). it'd be nice If i could tell this place to screw off and have a different place do the work but...hopefully i'll at least get the lexus glass put on.

Does anyone have any idea what an OEM windshield runs? I cannot find one on sewell's website.
Old 03-30-11, 05:26 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Go back, but I have a feeling all they can offer is some "deal" Good Luck!
Old 03-30-11, 05:31 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

i got genuine lexus glass when i had my windshield replaced. sounds like your body shop tried to make a quick buck by making your insurance pay for the lexus gladss, but instead, bought the OE replacement. sorry to hear man
Old 03-30-11, 05:42 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chrIS250
i got genuine lexus glass when i had my windshield replaced. sounds like your body shop tried to make a quick buck by making your insurance pay for the lexus gladss, but instead, bought the OE replacement. sorry to hear man
That's what I suspect. But the bill (despite me not having to pay anything) was only like $275. I dont think that the lexus windshield WITH labor is $275 so I don't know if that's exactly true though I can't think of any other reasons why they would try to talk me into different, cheaper, glass than I requested. When I had a smashed driver's side window on a trip a few years ago it was one call to insurance, lexus glass back on within an hour, bam, done, easy as pie.
Old 03-30-11, 06:00 PM
Micaiah

Something makes me thing the windshield is somewhere along the lines of $800.
Old 03-30-11, 06:11 PM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

Yes lexus windshield is not $275. I do think the Lexus glass has some acoustic help to cut down on wind noise. I cannot verify that but thats what I read a while back.
Old 03-30-11, 06:32 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So they broke your windshield. Then they told you to pay for a new one?
Old 03-30-11, 06:33 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
So they broke your windshield. Then they told you to pay for a new one?
yes because chip repairs aren't "guaranteed" I assumed that to mean that they wont guarantee the chip wont stay fixed. I guess that meant they wouldnt guarantee they wont bust it in the process haha
Old 03-30-11, 06:35 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

My replacement cost a little over $1000 and was a two week wait since Lexus had to order it for the installer.
Old 03-30-11, 07:26 PM
Micaiah

Patrick what's the name of this place? Do they have a website? I want to look them up.

Quick Reply: Asked for Lexus Glass, Got chinese aftermarket...