IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Quick question on fog HIDs from HID kit newbie - reflector vs. projector?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-11, 10:57 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Quick question on fog HIDs from HID kit newbie - reflector vs. projector?

I have a 2007 IS350. I'm planning on replacing my stock fog halogens with a HID kit from DDM Tuning (specific product here: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W). I'd be purchasing the 35W, 9006, 3000k kit.

I'm planning on following the DIY thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...for-cspec.html

Here are my questions:

1) The DDM ordering site is asking if I want "HID Harness", "Error Eliminator", or "Adaptor Cables". Do I need any of these things to install this kit for the fogs on my 2007 IS350?

2) I believe with this kit I can use the stock connector, and do not need to run a wire directly to the battery. Is this correct?

3) My friend was cautioning me about putting a HID bulb in a reflector housing. I'd never heard the terms projector and reflector. Can someone educate me? What's the difference between projectors and reflector housings? What type is the stock 2007 IS350 fog? Will I have any trouble installing the above kit in my car? Will I get much lens flare/glare using this HID kit in the stock reflector housing?

4) I'm planning on doing the install by taking off the bumper, ziptie-ing and taping the ballast to the back of the bumper guard, popping out the stock bulb and popping in the HID bulb, and the connecting the ballast to the stock connector. Anything I'm missing or need to know?

Thanks so much for your help in advance.
Old 03-22-11, 11:04 AM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) no, but I ran a harness just in case. But will work fine without it.

2) correct

3) i see no problem with putting hid in reflector housing. i been running them for over a year and no melting at all.

4)nope. zip tie and maybe double side tape just in case.
Old 03-22-11, 11:38 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by new.era.13
3) i see no problem with putting hid in reflector housing. i been running them for over a year and no melting at all.
I think the main concern I was seeing online about HIDs in reflector housings wasn't so much the melting but the lens flare/glare blinding oncoming drivers. Having installed them and looked at them from head on, you don't have concerns about them being too bright or glaring to other drivers?
Old 03-22-11, 11:41 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Here's the source of the concern. In the left image below, the stock bulb is shown in the reflector housing, with the reflector housing built to exactly match the bulb's output so the reflection is all aimed forward. In the right image, with an aftermarket bulb that is not designed to exactly match the reflector housing, you have light escaping out of the housing diffusely and not directed forward by the housing, creating glare and potentially blinding other drivers.

Is this a concern with anyone who has these fog HIDs installed without custom setups like retrofitted projectors?
Attached Thumbnails Quick question on fog HIDs from HID kit newbie - reflector vs. projector?-changedfocal4yr.jpg  
Old 03-22-11, 12:08 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by calvin2376
I think the main concern I was seeing online about HIDs in reflector housings wasn't so much the melting but the lens flare/glare blinding oncoming drivers. Having installed them and looked at them from head on, you don't have concerns about them being too bright or glaring to other drivers?
i doubt it will blind drivers. since they are pointed quite low. i parked my car down the street, locked my car and walked with the headlights and fogs still on and i could see past my car. i believe lexus make the driver side pointed down more than the passenger to protect from blinding.
Old 03-22-11, 01:01 PM
calvin2376
Racer

And what's a harness?
Old 03-22-11, 01:05 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

And what's a harness?
HID harness
Old 03-22-11, 01:46 PM
calvin2376
Racer

2) correct

4)nope. zip tie and maybe double side tape just in case.
HID harness
Sorry, what does it do?
Old 03-22-11, 02:58 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered the exact same kit for my car, If you havent ordered yet make sure you get the upgraded shipping, i was informed they are 4+weeks behind in shipping out regular orders currently, had i known this before i would have just paid for the faster shipping which was only a few days.

You dont need anything else it should all be plug and play, you might have to flip the connector and reverse the polarity into the ballast if it doesnt come on at first.
(sometimes they are backwards??)

I wouldnt worry about the harness on the 35w kit but id recommend it for the 55w kits. (it has thicker wire and relay that goes to the battery and carries more current)

Ive run HID's in reflector fog housings in several cars and never had any issues.
Old 03-22-11, 03:08 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

nah not for the fog since they're positioned low.
Old 03-22-11, 07:48 PM
korupt1
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2006 IS250, and am currently running 55W 6000K HID for headlights and 35W 6000K for fog lights from DDM. Using stock wiring harness all plug and play. Have been running this set up for 2 years and counting and absolutely no problems. If your headlights are adjusted properly you will not blind oncoming traffic either. GL with HID project
Old 03-23-11, 12:30 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Here's the source of the concern. In the left image below, the stock bulb is shown in the reflector housing, with the reflector housing built to exactly match the bulb's output so the reflection is all aimed forward. In the right image, with an aftermarket bulb that is not designed to exactly match the reflector housing, you have light escaping out of the housing diffusely and not directed forward by the housing, creating glare and potentially blinding other drivers.

Is this a concern with anyone who has these fog HIDs installed without custom setups like retrofitted projectors?
The harness is basically hook up your HID kit so it draws power straight from the car battery instead of the stock wiring. It's so the HID's draw more power when they light the bulbs, and sometimes a car's wiring cant supply enough juice. Don't worry about it for the IS though, as it's plenty capable of doing so on its own. People apply them also because it includes a fuse so you don't mess up anything with your electrical system by running HIDs. I've never really heard of an instance where HID's without a harness caused any harm to a car though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's generally frowned upon to put HID kits into halogen reflectors, because there are no solid cutoffs to protect the light from being sprayed upwards like the picture you have. With a projector headlight, however, there's a cutoff mechanism behind the projector lens that prevents the light from spreading everywhere. For foglights, the reflectors are aimed so downward that it really shouldn't cause a problem with blinding other drivers. It's only really a concern with low beams.
Here's a couple picture of an HID projector (s2000) taken apart so you can see the cutoff shield inside.

This is what the cutoff shield does to the projector that you don't get in reflector-based housings.
Old 03-23-11, 05:42 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by kumquatism
The harness is basically hook up your HID kit so it draws power straight from the car battery instead of the stock wiring. It's so the HID's draw more power when they light the bulbs, and sometimes a car's wiring cant supply enough juice. Don't worry about it for the IS though, as it's plenty capable of doing so on its own. People apply them also because it includes a fuse so you don't mess up anything with your electrical system by running HIDs. I've never really heard of an instance where HID's without a harness caused any harm to a car though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's generally frowned upon to put HID kits into halogen reflectors, because there are no solid cutoffs to protect the light from being sprayed upwards like the picture you have. With a projector headlight, however, there's a cutoff mechanism behind the projector lens that prevents the light from spreading everywhere. For foglights, the reflectors are aimed so downward that it really shouldn't cause a problem with blinding other drivers. It's only really a concern with low beams.
Here's a couple picture of an HID projector (s2000) taken apart so you can see the cutoff shield inside.

This is what the cutoff shield does to the projector that you don't get in reflector-based housings.
Thanks so much for the thorough and detailed response, that's exactly what I was looking for.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's generally frowned upon to put HID kits into halogen reflectors, because there are no solid cutoffs to protect the light from being sprayed upwards like the picture you have."

This is exactly what my friend was telling me, and since I was new to HID kits I wanted to ask the question. It sounds like in general yes, there are risks with putting HID kits in reflector housings, but in this specific case, since the fogs in the IS are positioned and focused downward, there isn't much risk of the light spraying upwards and causing glare.

Thanks for also clearing up what a harness is. Sounds like this isn't necessary for the 2IS foglights.

I'm really amazed at how easy and inexpensive this mod is. I always thought HID kits were 1) very expensive and 2) difficult to install due to the wiring harness. But these DDM kits have gotten great reviews on CL, don't require a wiring harness, and are only $40. I think I'm sold.

Last question: on DDM's website, they ask if I also want "Error Eliminator" or "Adaptor Cables". Do I need either of these? What do they do?
Old 03-23-11, 06:13 AM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

You dont need those the adapters are for cars with other connectors that wont plug into the hid kit and the error eliminators are for bmw and i think dodge cars because it keeps them from thnking a bulb is out due to different resistance and tripping a light on the dash.

Its really not that complicated man u are way overthinking things and making a mountain out of a molehill, just order the kit and plug it in and enjoy!!

Last edited by IOWNALEXUS; 03-23-11 at 06:16 AM.
Old 03-23-11, 06:17 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by INEEDANSC3
You dont need those the adapters are for cars with other connectors that wont plug into the hid kit and the error eliminators are for bmw and i think dodge cars because it keeps them from thnking a bulb is out due to different resistance and tripping a light on the dash.

Its really not that complicated man u are way overthinking things and making a mountain out of a molehill, just order the kit and plug it in and enjoy!!
Thanks for the help, and I apologize for doing my due diligence beforehand on a topic I didn't know much about...

Quick Reply: Quick question on fog HIDs from HID kit newbie - reflector vs. projector?