IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

suspension really stiff?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-11, 08:50 AM
misterlv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension really stiff?

hi all. im new to the lexus thing here. its really nice and i like it. but its quite stiff and rough on bumps in the road. even the smallest bumps i can feel. almost like my 02 dropped wrx i used to have. is anyone else having the same issue. also the steering kinda sucks. when make u turns i sometimes here a grinding and it feels a bit bumpy and unstable. just wondering if i need to replace anything, if any is250 owners know about a common problem. i dont want to get husled by a stealership if you know what i mean. oh i have a 06 is250.
Old 03-12-11, 09:07 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This doesn't sound like a stock suspension. Either that or maybe the stock one is blown. Why are you afraid to bring it to the dealership? They have to sell a safe car and if it's unstable.....
Old 03-12-11, 09:15 AM
misterlv
Driver School Candidate

im assuming that your ride is smooth like a luxury should be? ive been in luxury cars before and if my memory serves me right it should be smooth and less bumpy. unless my shocks are dead. i pushed down on the front of the car and seems like they are not.
Old 03-12-11, 09:39 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you suspension is blown or shocks are dead, it shouldn't feel stiff. The shocks are basically dampeners to counteract the bounce effect of the springs. So the opposite should be true... you're car should be bouncing all over the place when you hit pot holes.

How you are comparing the stiffness to? If you came from an SUV/Minivan/Full Sedan, then it will feel stiffer. We are rolling in a sports coupe so the suspension is tuned a bit stiffer. That's the first thing I notice coming from my Civic is that the 2IS is stiffer.

Another possibility is that the car has been lowered or you have aftermarket springs. Lowered car have a higher spring rate so it's going to feel stiffer.
Old 03-12-11, 09:39 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by misterlv
im assuming that your ride is smooth like a luxury should be? ive been in luxury cars before and if my memory serves me right it should be smooth and less bumpy. unless my shocks are dead. i pushed down on the front of the car and seems like they are not.
Ummmm...no. If you read my sig you'll see I have the F sport springs and shocks. Not at all smooth like a luxury suspension, which is why I said yours must not be stock or blown, hence being unstable.
Old 03-12-11, 10:35 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

My stock suspension is pretty stiff. Maybe it jus needs to be broken in or somethin still. But I would imagine your suspension is broken in. Maybe aftermarket?
Old 03-12-11, 06:50 PM
misterlv
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the info on the stiffness. its the set up i guess. i dont know why i thought.. lexus.. luxury smooth. okay that was my bad. but what about the turning. if i make a narrow turn i hear a low noise grinding and it kinda feels like im rolling over small bumps. i have tried to do some research and some say that the steering rack might need to be replaced. any suggestions or similar experiences?

Last edited by misterlv; 03-12-11 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-12-11, 06:53 PM
misterlv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shadowman
If you suspension is blown or shocks are dead, it shouldn't feel stiff. The shocks are basically dampeners to counteract the bounce effect of the springs. So the opposite should be true... you're car should be bouncing all over the place when you hit pot holes.

How you are comparing the stiffness to? If you came from an SUV/Minivan/Full Sedan, then it will feel stiffer. We are rolling in a sports coupe so the suspension is tuned a bit stiffer. That's the first thing I notice coming from my Civic is that the 2IS is stiffer.

Another possibility is that the car has been lowered or you have aftermarket springs. Lowered car have a higher spring rate so it's going to feel stiffer.
oh yeah that makes sense. well ive owned a 350z and a dropped wrx. but i just thought that the is250 would be smooth. well i guess i should never assume. the car is at normal height. thanks for filling me in thought i appreciate it.
Old 03-12-11, 07:14 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

grinding noises are never a good sound. how big are the front tires? Could the sound and feel be from rubbing?

i'm guessing you didn't buy CPO from a dealership? Otherwise I would say just take it back and have them look into it...