IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sun visor Lights Not Working, Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-11, 10:26 PM
loftus112
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sun visor Lights Not Working, Help

I recently found out both sides of my visor lights are not working when I slide the slider for the mirror. I assume it's the fuse that's blown.

Can anyone help as I know the fuse is under my steering wheel but I don't know which one to check. If anyone can share some info or can provide pics to show me how to rectify the problem, it'll be much appreicated, thanks.
Old 03-09-11, 10:41 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

On the driver side underneath your instrument panel/steering wheel:
Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 10264
Size:  12.4 KB

Check fuse #18 in the above diagram. Should be a 10amp low profile fuse.

There should be a diagram on the lid of the fusebox too.
Old 03-09-11, 10:46 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

I've been having the same problem. My light actually flickers and it looks like I have a rave party in my car at night when I use them. I went to the dealer and asked them if they could fix it and they said that there is a switch inside of the visor that you have to enable...by doing that you have to mess around with the slider until the light turns on. I tried doing that and it didn't work. The other option they gave me was replacing both mirrors for about $300 each...no thanks. In your situation it could be a blown fuse, if not we might be on the same boat. Kinda sucks cause I replaced it with LEDs and I can't even use them
Old 03-09-11, 10:47 PM
loftus112
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexitegra
On the driver side underneath your instrument panel/steering wheel:

Check fuse #18 in the above diagram. Should be a 10amp low profile fuse.

There should be a diagram on the lid of the fusebox too.

Thank you much Lexi, I will check it out when I get a chance tomorrow.
Old 03-09-11, 10:53 PM
loftus112
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dvo
I've been having the same problem. My light actually flickers and it looks like I have a rave party in my car at night when I use them. I went to the dealer and asked them if they could fix it and they said that there is a switch inside of the visor that you have to enable...by doing that you have to mess around with the slider until the light turns on. I tried doing that and it didn't work. The other option they gave me was replacing both mirrors for about $300 each...no thanks. In your situation it could be a blown fuse, if not we might be on the same boat. Kinda sucks cause I replaced it with LEDs and I can't even use them
That sucks.

I'll try your method first by playing with the slider to see if it'll hit any switch on the inside of the visor.
Old 03-09-11, 11:08 PM
loftus112
Pole Position

Thanks for chiming in dvo, it worked! I can't believe it, I just slide the puppy like 10-15 times on both sides and it just worked. Guess it wasn't the fuse afterall but very strange that this needs to be done in order to get it working.

Great tip/thread for pple having this problem. BTW, good luck with your issue dvo hope you get it resolved with minimum to no cost.
Old 03-09-11, 11:16 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by loftus112
Thanks for chiming in dvo, it worked! I can't believe it, I just slide the puppy like 10-15 times on both sides and it just worked. Guess it wasn't the fuse afterall but very strange that this needs to be done in order to get it working.

Great tip/thread for pple having this problem. BTW, good luck with your issue dvo hope you get it resolved with minimum to no cost.
You're very welcome & thanks! As much as it sucks that mine doesn't work, I'm glad it solved your problem
Old 03-09-11, 11:31 PM
SD.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I was the only one with this problem.. My driver side takes like 4-5 times and some light taps to get it to work. My passenger side one I gave up on. I replaced it with LED ones too
Old 05-21-11, 05:58 PM
flyfl1pguy

Originally Posted by dvo
You're very welcome & thanks! As much as it sucks that mine doesn't work, I'm glad it solved your problem
did you ever find out how to get this thing fix?
MIne is also doing the same thing. I figured ill swap out the bulbs on the other visor and it still works.
So i know for a fact that it is the visor it self.
Now I wonder how to fix this problem.
It takes like 5-10x opening and closing the mirror to make the light work.
Old 05-21-11, 06:58 PM
1badlex
Rookie

my passenger doesnt work, ill try the open n close trick. also is that number 18 fuse for the passenger side only or both visor lights?
Old 05-21-11, 09:23 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flyfl1pguy
did you ever find out how to get this thing fix?
MIne is also doing the same thing. I figured ill swap out the bulbs on the other visor and it still works.
So i know for a fact that it is the visor it self.
Now I wonder how to fix this problem.
It takes like 5-10x opening and closing the mirror to make the light work.
No, I think I'm out of luck because I've tried sliding it back and forth and still no light. My passenger side still flickers now and then when it's on. I guess my only solution is to replace the visors with new ones...unless something else is wrong with my car that could cause my visors to do that
Old 05-21-11, 10:27 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dvo
No, I think I'm out of luck because I've tried sliding it back and forth and still no light. My passenger side still flickers now and then when it's on. I guess my only solution is to replace the visors with new ones...unless something else is wrong with my car that could cause my visors to do that
If you buy new visors, I'll buy the old ones. I'll take them apart to see if there is a way to clean the electrical contacts.
Old 05-22-11, 12:05 PM
flyfl1pguy

Originally Posted by dvo
I was thinking of opening the visor and take a look at the electrical wires, but I dont even know where to start
Old 05-26-11, 04:15 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tenspeed
If you buy new visors, I'll buy the old ones. I'll take them apart to see if there is a way to clean the electrical contacts.
I wish I knew how to work with wires, lol. I highly doubt that I will replace them with new ones just because I rarely use them and it doesn't bother me to the point where I would want to spend $600. But if for some reason I decide to get them I will let you know about the old ones.
Old 12-20-11, 09:42 AM
flyfl1pguy

so the light finally stopped working! tried opening it 10x and no luck
Maybe a new visor is needed.
Has anyone have problems with their visors?

Quick Reply: Sun visor Lights Not Working, Help