IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Check VSC after replacing sparkplugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-11, 10:57 PM
willfxp
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check VSC after replacing sparkplugs

So I replaced my spark plugs in my 250 the other weekend and had to take off the intake manifold with all that glory.

After buttoning everything up, turned on the car, got the Check VSC light (CEL light and the red triangle, but NOT the slippery car icon). Did a little research, jiggled the MAF and TB/TPS connector around, and it went away.

A few days ago, as I was backing up to park, the light came back, and doesn't seem to want to go away. The car runs perfect, accelerates fine, idles steadier than my hand. The only thing I've noticed is that the car seems to have a lot more exhaust "steam". Only notice it at night when someone's headlights light it up. Didn't notice anything during the day time (i.e., not black smoke).

I got the codes checked and this is what I got from Autozone:

P0121 - Throttle pedal position sensor/switch "A" circuit range/performance

Probable Cause:

1. Open or short circuit condition
2. Poor electrical connection
3. Failed TPS

P0123 - Throttle pedal position sensor/switch "A" high input

Probable Cause:

3. Failed TPS

P2135 - Throttle pedal position sensor/switch "A"/"B" voltage correlation

Probable Cause:

3. Failed TPS

P0171 - System too lean- Bank 1 (Cylinder number 1 denotes bank 1)

Probable cause:

1. Lean air/fuel ratio fuel injector or vacuum leak
2. MAF sensor concern
3. ECT sensor fault
4. Faulty HO2S (heated oxygen sensor)

P0174 - System too lean- Bank 2

Probable cause:

1. Lean air/fuel ratio fuel injector or vacuum leak
2. MAF sensor concern
3. ECT sensor fault
4. Faulty HO2S (heated oxygen sensor) Bank 2

This coming weekend I'm planning on taking off the intake manifold again, and re-doing everything. Try to retorque everything etc. Just wondering if any of these symptoms hint at anything specific so maybe I won't have to do that again

Thanks!

Oh, is it still ok to drive the car? Looking through other postings, seems like when the car is in "limp home" mode, the slippery car icon is lit, and you really shouldn't be driving it. But not sure in this case as the car seems to perform well.
Old 03-07-11, 11:00 AM
willfxp
Driver

If it helps, the exhaust doesn't seem to have any noticeable smell. This morning, cold start up, figured should smell something. My nose might not be working though...
Old 03-09-11, 10:11 AM
DreamerzCC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the same issue yesterday....I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery and left off for a minute or so (because I was talking to my mechanic) then reconnected the terminal and it reset the computer for the O2 sensor and VSC. Hope this helps....
Old 03-12-11, 05:08 PM
Navigatn
Pole Position

Just replaced my spark plugs on a IS350 and the check engine light (cel), check vsc, and traction ctrl lights are on. got the obd2 code P0348 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit High Input (Bank 2).

anyone had this before?
Old 03-12-11, 05:18 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can try to simply disconnect negative terminal of the battery on your car and leave it for 30 seconds and reconnect it to see if that works. I replace the spark plugs myself 2 months ago but didn't have a single problem. Are you using the correct spark plugs with proper gap? And did you plug everything back in? I remember having to disconnect a few random plugs to gain access.
Old 03-12-11, 06:15 PM
Navigatn
Pole Position

i bought the right plugs from sewell. they're the iridium (FK20HBR11). i did have a hard time on the driver side with all the harnesses in the way and had to unplug a few sensors to get to the spark plug shaft. the one furthest away from the firewall was a real pain.

The P0358 code says it's the camshaft sensor A. anyone know which sensor that is? The car drives fine, but i think is idling a little low at 500rpm.
Old 03-16-11, 03:59 PM
willfxp
Driver

All those issues I posted above was because of a missing gasket on the fuel line into the intake. The posted howto didn't say to remove the whole unit, just the fuel line, but I did anyways I was _LUCKY_ that the gasket dropped and stayed in the engine bay after a bunch of driving miles. Plugged that back in, started her up, and still had the codes. I removed the fuses for the ECM and now everything is back to normal. Yay!
Old 03-21-11, 07:09 PM
sseaman
Driver School Candidate

I had the camshaft sensor error come on after the plugs were replaced and found the connector for the sensor looked like the wires we partially pulled out. After making sure they were reseated the lights all went away.
The following users liked this post:
Vovchik (04-29-21)
Old 03-27-11, 05:32 PM
Ki11switch
Rookie

Originally Posted by sseaman
I had the camshaft sensor error come on after the plugs were replaced and found the connector for the sensor looked like the wires we partially pulled out. After making sure they were reseated the lights all went away.
I am currently having the same camshaft error after sparkplug change, but i do not know what "wires" you may be talking about. thank you

Last edited by Ki11switch; 03-28-11 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-03-12, 10:34 AM
emadrigal
Driver School Candidate

Just got my 08' IS250 spark plugs changed, having same issues as many of you. Check engine light, check VSC and icon with the traction control car is on.

Car starts up in the morning with high than normal RPM's then goes back to normal. Car feels a little stuttery while driving. Will take it to autozone to get codes checked.

I replaced the spark plugs with the NGK Iridium IX. Any thoughts?
Old 04-29-21, 01:21 PM
Vovchik
Driver School Candidate

Default CEL after spark plugs replacement. P0348

I’ve got the P0348 code after spark plugs replacement. Troubleshooting on this screen shot helped ( see attachment )
Old 04-30-21, 08:53 AM
Armadous1
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Check the vvt solenoids