IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help! headlights all out and fog not working!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-11, 02:43 PM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^ are you using a aftermarket harness for the HID? If so, check the fuse and relay on the harness. If fuse is still good then it is the relay. But since you're saying that the halogens are not working too then it should be the fuse in the fusebox or somehow you fried your oem harness.
Old 03-18-11, 04:51 PM
jvxdriver
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to check out a few more fuses. Please refer to the picture below:

There's a black rectangular control unit with tabs on the sides where you can push and pull it out. Underneath it, you'll find some more fuses that control your DRL, Highbeam, etc. Hope this help.
Old 03-18-11, 10:37 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^
thank you ! i will check it out tomorrow !

anybody know how much it will cost to replace the ballast on both side for the low beam? or do i need to replace the whole headlight?
Old 03-18-11, 10:57 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by someboy
^
thank you ! i will check it out tomorrow !

anybody know how much it will cost to replace the ballast on both side for the low beam? or do i need to replace the whole headlight?
Cheap. You can just get a aftermarket one from HIDextra or xenondepot...
Old 03-18-11, 10:57 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

Fixed it guys thanks for help!
Old 03-19-11, 12:38 AM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Cheap. You can just get a aftermarket one from HIDextra or xenondepot...
But my headlight comes with factory HID, so does that mean even though the factory ballast is broken, but i can still just hook up a HID kit to it and it will work?
Old 03-21-11, 11:37 AM
goldzilla
Rookie

Originally Posted by someboy
But my headlight comes with factory HID, so does that mean even though the factory ballast is broken, but i can still just hook up a HID kit to it and it will work?
You can find oem ballast on ebay, but I need to know my self if the ballast is removable.
I'mOn the same boat, my driver side ballast is messed up
Old 03-21-11, 06:25 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

yeah i did some research and bought the ballasts already ! i will let you know once they get here!
Old 03-22-11, 02:27 PM
jvxdriver
Rookie

Fyi. The ballast is not easily removed. It's located underneath the headlight. You will need to remove the entire headlight. Further, you will need to use the oven method to open up the headlight. The issue is not so much with the ballast itself; it's the wire harness connecting to the HID bulb. Reason is because the ballast's wire goes inside the headlamp and goes through twists and turns to get to the hid bulb. The ballast's bulb connector is a huge golf-size socket, which will get stuck between the projector mounting bracket and the internal wall. It's a tight spot to maneuver around. That's why I mentioned the oven method.

I didn't have to change my ballast when I did my projector retrofit on my 08 IS, but I've seen how the ballast's wire is connected internally. Just a warning. Good luck replacing your ballast.
Old 03-23-11, 12:59 AM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

holy crap >< i don't think i will be able to do this myself, i wonder if any shop is up to the project ....
Old 03-29-11, 04:07 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Unless I have missed something, did both your headlights and fog lights go out all at once??
Old 04-02-11, 04:18 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

yeah they both went out around the same time, also i found one of my fog light ballast was a little wet..

Here is my story of getting it fixed:
both of my headlights went out and one side of my fog also. So, after buying the ballasts from ebay ( you can search for lexus is250 oem ballast) and brought my car to a shop. They took out my ballasts and it turns out they are completely covered in moles, most likely due to the water got in ( due to the LED DRL, i also did not have my covers on for months and one side of my headlight is foggy as hell during rainy days).

So for replacing the ballasts, you have to take your front bumper off in order to get to the headlights. The original ballasts that you have in the car will be almost impossible to take out, and the new ones will be impossible to be just fitted in there due to the large "bulb" cover and the wires need to go inside the headlight and then out again. So, what the shop did was cut off the wire which is connected to the bulb from the ballast. Then put the wires from one end inside the headlight and pull it out from the other end and rewire it with the ballast.

it took about 3 hours for them to do this for me, due to the technician is a friend, only charged me 100 bucks.

Note:
the ballasts i bought from ebay was used, so if you want new ones you have to go to the dealer, they have a "parts" department.

blow drying the headlights will not unnecessary just leave it under the sun and it will clear out by itself, and if your ballast is broken it won't matter if you dry out the headlights first or not, won't make a difference.
Old 08-21-13, 10:30 AM
IC3B3RG
Driver School Candidate

My driver side fog keeps blowing. All fueses are good and bulb isn't actually blown, it just won't work. This is the second time it has happened. I change the driver side fog, it works for a while then it doesn't turn on. Change bulbs same thing. Could there be a power surge into the driver fog causing it to malfunction? I also do not have a warranty.