IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DRL/HIGH BEAM light issues. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-11, 01:00 PM
dmLsix
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation DRL/HIGH BEAM light issues. Help!

So I was installing my LED bulbs that I got for the high beam/DRL light..

Plug and play kit...

At first i plugged it in just to see if it would work and it lit up, everything looked fine. So I go to do the actual install and once i had everything in and plugged in, it wouldnt light up

All other lights work except for my daylight running lights/high beam lights.

When I turn the high beams on inside the car, it turns the fog lights off.

I put everything back to normal and plugged the normal OEM bulbs back in and now they also don't work.

So right now I have no daylight running lights or high beams. Can anybody help or know what may be the problem?
Old 03-03-11, 01:27 PM
pfdaxe
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the fuse. Also, you may have plugged your LEDS in backwards. Sometimes aftermarket connectors are reversed....
Old 03-03-11, 01:35 PM
dmLsix
Rookie

I tried switching around the connectors and it still didnt work.

But even now with everything plugged back to normal, it doesnt work anymore.

I've also checked all the fuses related to the lights and they all look good (all the ones that I know of anyways).

Do you know all of which fuses i can check? ill take another look just incase. I remember having trouble finding the fuses for the DRL or high beams.
Old 03-03-11, 03:05 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

The same thing happened to me. Check your fuses. It should be in the engine compartment on the driver side. It'll be a little 15amp low profile fuse.
Old 03-03-11, 03:59 PM
showtymers
Driver

e brake on?
Old 03-03-11, 04:57 PM
dmLsix
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexitegra
The same thing happened to me. Check your fuses. It should be in the engine compartment on the driver side. It'll be a little 15amp low profile fuse.
thanks I'll check that out and see.

Do you know how this happened?

And also do I have to do something different to prevent this from happening again if the blown fuse is actually the problem?

Originally Posted by showtymers
e brake on?
nope my DRLs dont work at all...
Old 03-03-11, 07:29 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Your fogs turn on when your high beams should? Interesting... not sure how that would be fuse related but I'm not an electrical expert.
Old 03-03-11, 09:02 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brociouz
Your fogs turn on when your high beams should? Interesting... not sure how that would be fuse related but I'm not an electrical expert.
When he turns his high beams on, his fog lights shut off. I was told that was normal. Whether or not this is true...I'm not sure ...

I'm not sure how it caused the fuse to blow, but when I installed it, I tested it without having connected everything ( i know..) to first test my parking lights. Then when I put the 2 DRL modules in, they didn't work. Thinking I'd done it backwards, I tried flipping the input connector. That didn't work. so I tried putting my original bulbs back in and they didn't work either! So I checked the fusebox in the engine compartment on the driver side and found the fuse corresponding to the high beams/DRL and sure enough, it had blown! I bought a new low profile 15amp fuse, replaced it, and both modules lit right up.

Just make sure you have everything connected before you test anything...maybe buy a few extra fuses in case it blows again. In my case, since I'd put my original bulbs back in, I "installed" the modules before I replaced the blown fuse with the new one.

Last edited by Lexitegra; 03-03-11 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-03-11, 09:07 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

^ Oh, j/k. I read his post wrong. Yeah, that's normal for the fogs to turn off whenever your high beams are activated. Doing the standalone fog mod allows you to get around this though.
Old 03-03-11, 09:17 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Phew! Glad to get confirmation that's normal . I rarely used the high beams and so never noticed that before!
Old 03-04-11, 12:05 AM
CLIS250
Pole Position

it is normal for your fogs to turn off when your high beams are on. the only way to bypass it and have your fogs on while your high beam are on, is use a switch for your fogs so therefore making those independent and you can turn on your high beams with the fogs on via its own switch.
Old 03-04-11, 06:59 AM
dmLsix
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexitegra
When he turns his high beams on, his fog lights shut off. I was told that was normal. Whether or not this is true...I'm not sure ...

I'm not sure how it caused the fuse to blow, but when I installed it, I tested it without having connected everything ( i know..) to first test my parking lights. Then when I put the 2 DRL modules in, they didn't work. Thinking I'd done it backwards, I tried flipping the input connector. That didn't work. so I tried putting my original bulbs back in and they didn't work either! So I checked the fusebox in the engine compartment on the driver side and found the fuse corresponding to the high beams/DRL and sure enough, it had blown! I bought a new low profile 15amp fuse, replaced it, and both modules lit right up.

Just make sure you have everything connected before you test anything...maybe buy a few extra fuses in case it blows again. In my case, since I'd put my original bulbs back in, I "installed" the modules before I replaced the blown fuse with the new one.
So I just checked my fuses and you were right, it was a blown 15amp fuse.
I just replaced it and it all works good now.

thanks a lot for your help, much appreciated.

Also glad to hear that it's normal for the fog lights to turn off when the high beams are turned on, I have never noticed that and thought something might be wrong.
Old 03-04-11, 10:41 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ I thought that was weird the first time too. With my old car the fog lights would stay on lol
Old 02-03-13, 02:13 PM
Chow
Pit Crew

Are there any spare 15 fuses in our car?
Old 02-04-13, 09:14 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Originally Posted by Chow
Are there any spare 15 fuses in our car?
I believe so. Check underneath the fuse box cover in your engine bay.

Quick Reply: DRL/HIGH BEAM light issues. Help!