IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

After Market MidRange Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-11, 11:00 AM
Alex2422
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Market MidRange Speakers

Has ANYONE put in after market midrange speakers in there IS yet? Ive seen one pic of a car with 3.5 in the spot but dont want to buy a full set of speakers bec I already have new 6-1/2 and Tweeters in now.. Im pretty sure the speaker is a 2-1/2 but will make a custome mount for a 3-1/2 if it will fit there. Speaker ideas anyone? Or ideas besides just taking them out or putting another tweeter there..
Old 02-21-11, 01:07 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I know Hertz, JL Audio, Focal make three way component speakers. Try and buy just the mid.
Old 02-21-11, 04:49 PM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you'll have to make yourself a custom mounting bracket if you want to run aftermarket speakers for the mids
Old 02-21-11, 05:42 PM
swong46
Driver School Candidate

custom definatly, id look into Rainbow 3 way comps =] drool
Old 02-21-11, 06:42 PM
Alex2422
Driver School Candidate

Ya I already have a guy that can make the custom brackets for $20 a piece which sucks but figured someone maybe put in something already that would fit easier than other mids. Like after looking at JL Pioneer polk and focal mids thay all have different depths figured one was easier maybe.. And he said I would need a crossover if I bought them by themselves?? so suggested a comonent set but dang those get real $$$ seeing how I already put in after market speakers. Hes pushing focal but they run pretty high, already spent alot on what I have
Old 02-21-11, 08:59 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

I'd say don't spend any more money if you already spent a lot on what you have. Should have done a little research if you planned to fill all the speaker locations. Are you not happy with your current sound?
Old 02-21-11, 10:22 PM
Alex2422
Driver School Candidate

Yea im very happy with how it sounds the reason why I didnt look into buying component sets was becuase I already had the 6-1/2's and one set of tweeters from my last car.. The place im going to now will refund the new tweeters i just purchased if I want to switch to something differnt but just trying to figure out all the options first. If im going to spend the money down the road id rather swap them now and just get it over with if that makes since.. if it comes down to me unhooking the mids and keeping the rest then i wouldnt lose sleep over it
Old 02-21-11, 10:47 PM
AZ IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Alex2422
Ya I already have a guy that can make the custom brackets for $20 a piece which sucks but figured someone maybe put in something already that would fit easier than other mids. Like after looking at JL Pioneer polk and focal mids thay all have different depths figured one was easier maybe.. And he said I would need a crossover if I bought them by themselves?? so suggested a comonent set but dang those get real $$$ seeing how I already put in after market speakers. Hes pushing focal but they run pretty high, already spent alot on what I have
$20 for custom brackets is cheap, you should go for it before he changes his mind.

There's not a lot of aftermarket speakers that will fit the stock location without modification. PPI has a 2-1/2" mid they sell in this 3-way set that may fit: http://www.precisionpower.com/html-v...s/PC3-65C.html
They are supposed to be selling it a seperate component sometime this year and the price is supposed to be reasonable, <$100.

Pioneer has this baller 2-5/8 mid: http://www.crutchfield.com/s_130TSS0...5dCar+Speakers
I have this in another vehicle and it's a solid performer, but it's hecka spendy and you might have to cut off the grille bars out to make it fit.

Hybrid Audio and Hertz also make some nice 3" mids that might fit with modification, but they're going to be in the $250 range.

If you're running them off an aftermarket summed signal, then you'll definitely need an HP'ed signal or at least an inline cap to block the lower frequencies. I wouldn't run any of these lower than 400hz, just to be safe. For the non-ML, the OEM mids are HP'ed at around 1khz, so you'll probably be ok if you're feeding it the stock mid signal. (don't know if ML is the same).

I'm a big fan of larger wide-band mids, so I went with 4-1/2" mids in the kick panels.
Old 02-21-11, 10:48 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

I personally just heard JL Audio, Focal (not their HIGH line), and Hertz speakers. Think I'm going with Hertz!
Old 02-22-11, 02:16 PM
Alex2422
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AZ IS350
$20 for custom brackets is cheap, you should go for it before he changes his mind.

There's not a lot of aftermarket speakers that will fit the stock location without modification. PPI has a 2-1/2" mid they sell in this 3-way set that may fit: http://www.precisionpower.com/html-v...s/PC3-65C.html
They are supposed to be selling it a seperate component sometime this year and the price is supposed to be reasonable, <$100.

Pioneer has this baller 2-5/8 mid: http://www.crutchfield.com/s_130TSS0...5dCar+Speakers
I have this in another vehicle and it's a solid performer, but it's hecka spendy and you might have to cut off the grille bars out to make it fit.

Hybrid Audio and Hertz also make some nice 3" mids that might fit with modification, but they're going to be in the $250 range.

If you're running them off an aftermarket summed signal, then you'll definitely need an HP'ed signal or at least an inline cap to block the lower frequencies. I wouldn't run any of these lower than 400hz, just to be safe. For the non-ML, the OEM mids are HP'ed at around 1khz, so you'll probably be ok if you're feeding it the stock mid signal. (don't know if ML is the same).

I'm a big fan of larger wide-band mids, so I went with 4-1/2" mids in the kick panels.

Thanksss thats what I was looking for!! Ya hes charging $50 an hour and said prob take an 1-1/2 hours so about 20 a piece if no problems come up! I like the idea with using a cap so will prob do it that way I just hope a 600 watt amp is enough to power all 12 speakers should be fine. Those Pioneer are very nice and great size but dang 450 is a lot for a pair but I guess u get what u pay for. Prob just wait on the precison power or call them and see if I can just buy the mids now
Old 02-22-11, 03:02 PM
swong46
Driver School Candidate

Go with seas or raindow if you have that much money to spend, much better then nae brand stuff...
Old 02-22-11, 04:14 PM
RickJames1
Lead Lap

i heard the focal yellow series cost over a grand but they sound way better than the other speakers i hear (alpine, pioneer, etc.)
Old 02-22-11, 07:56 PM
qgoat
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sffd103
I personally just heard JL Audio, Focal (not their HIGH line), and Hertz speakers. Think I'm going with Hertz!
GOOD choice. I have 4" hertz two-ways in my rear doors of my Gs and polk audio in the front doors and I can tell you the hertz are clearer and more efficient than the polk audios. They are all running off of head unit power no external amps. the head unit is a Kenwood ecxelon kdc-x494 50x4 which is prolly similar to factory amp output.
Old 02-22-11, 08:06 PM
swong46
Driver School Candidate

Hertz Milles??? =D