IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone try this iPod Integration kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-11, 02:36 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I installed the DICE in my toyota and it worked just fine on SAT. You can get it from BUY.COM for $99:

http://www.buy.com/prod/dice-i-toyot...211407046.html

(the Toyota and Lexus silverline pro are the same)
Old 02-20-11, 08:52 PM
jmaxey6622
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ahh the voltage level output pulled from ipod/iphone.

headphone jack 2.84
headphone line out jack 2.94
apple universal dock "line out" 2.01
typical component line out 5.76

If you have done some research on your IPod or other portable device, you may have come across the concept of a Line Out jack. For example, Apple has provided such a feature on the IPod product line. There is no plug for it, rather, you access it through the dock connector. Some portable media players even expose the line out jack, making it easy.

The good news is that Line Out jacks to sound better than headphone jacks for connecting to a stereo. First off, the line out jack addresses the impedance mismatch. And depending on your specific unit, it usually bypasses the headphone amplifier completely, thereby taking the noise, impedance and tone coloration out of the equation.

The bad news is that the Line Out jack on most portable media devices does not solve the output signal level. For example, the above tests showed us that on the Ipod, both the line out jack on the Apple Universal Dock and the Line out cables still put out a miserly signal of around 2 volts. So we still have that problem.

TO ADDRESS the lINE LEVEL PROBLEM, YOU NEED TO USE A PREAMPLIFIER.

aux jacks from IS are not pre amplified its simply an loc line. and if your recall has been dealt with now has a filter (or 08+ models) used under aux option to create sound through the stereo amplified by the factory amplifier later down the line.

thus giving an amplified signal to increase levels of sound clarity and already built in noise filtration......

"THE DINKY AMPLIFIER" IS WHAT'S CREATING INCREASED VOLTAGE MAKING AND IMPEDANCE AND OHM LEVELS HIGHER TO CREATE A BETTER QUALITY. SOUND.

lastly op why spend 30$ on one of the cords when an addition 60 can get you charging capabilities and much more.

http://www.lambros.net/LexusTechInfo...L-AU001-07.pdf
Old 02-20-11, 09:06 PM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ that was a really in-depth post. Soooo you are saying neither the integration kit or using the AUX will sound THAT good anyway since the output is only 2V. But integration is better because of the charging capabilities?
Old 02-20-11, 09:32 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jnguyen87
^^^ that was a really in-depth post. Soooo you are saying neither the integration kit or using the AUX will sound THAT good anyway since the output is only 2V. But integration is better because of the charging capabilities?
There is no "BETTER" ... its what YOU want.

To put it simply ... the whole point of using the dock connector (versus headphone jack) is BYPASSING the crappy amp on the ipod/iphone and using the one in the car.

With a DOCK —> AUX cable everything is controlled on the ipod/iphone - no charging

Ipod integration lets you control the ipod/iphone from your cars stereo/steering wheel controls - and you get charging capabilities.

Now you decide what features you want ... and if the price is worth it to you...
Old 02-21-11, 07:31 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jmaxey6622

lastly op why spend 30$ on one of the cords when an addition 60 can get you charging capabilities and much more.

http://www.lambros.net/LexusTechInfo...L-AU001-07.pdf
Again, WTF are you talking about?

The $30 kit I posted includes charging the device.

That's why you have to spend $30.

If you just want sound from the dock that's the $2.99 part I posted earlier, the Dock-To-Aux cable.

the difference comes down to this:

For $30 you get charging and line-level audio... plus you can control volume from the steering wheel, take it with you to use in other cars easily, and still use the factory XM receiver for satellite radio.

For ~$100 you get charging and line-level audio... plus you can control volume AND change tracks from the steering wheel/see text on your head unit... but you can't take it with you easily for other cars.... and you can't use the factory XM receiver either.

For ~$200 you get charging and line level audio... plus you can control volume AND change tracks from the steering wheel/see text on your head unit... AND you can use the factory XM receiver for satellite radio... but you can't take it with you easily for other cars.

None is a "better" choice because they all offer or lack different things.

If you don't care about satellite radio or portability but REALLY want text display the $100 option might be "better" for you... but if you DO care about satellite radio that option sucks.

If you don't care about text display and DO care about satellite and portability the $30 option might be better for you and the $100 option sucks.

Personally, I don't care about text display as I know what's on my ipod already, but I DO care about sat radio and portability, so the $30 option was the best one of the three to me.

My wife recently finally upgraded her Lexus to a system that includes ipod integration so I no longer need to use my kit when we take her car places... (but for the first several years I had my IS I frequently swapped my $30 ipod kit between cars depending whose we were using for a given trip) this means I might in the future go the $200 route in my own car and just relegate my $30 kit for rental car use...or I might not because, honestly, I don't care about the text so I'd be paying $200 to change tracks with the steering button... that's a pretty tiny upgrade in my book... but if I ever have to take the dash/console apart from something else I might go ahead and do it... but I'd always consider the $100 kit as sucking because I care about satellite radio. Obviously the guys happy with their $100 kits don't care about that.

Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by Kurtz; 02-21-11 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-21-11, 07:49 AM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

i really just want the best sound quality with my ipod. If you guys say that all the options will have same sound quality, i'll go with the cheapest option. Text on the headunit doesnt really matter to me. Sound clarity is the most important tho.
Old 02-21-11, 08:32 AM
jmaxey6622
Driver

Oh my the sound quality is different. The single wire iPod jack vs headphone jack is barley any difference In sound quality. Itegration kits boost the voltage of the signal.
Old 02-21-11, 08:35 AM
jmaxey6622
Driver

And for 100.00 I can use xm sat receiver in addition an extra aux port for hd radio.
Old 02-21-11, 08:39 AM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

Ahhh! Can i get ONE answer!! lol

Oh my the sound quality is different. The single wire iPod jack vs headphone jack is barley any difference In sound quality. Itegration kits boost the voltage of the signal.
Old 02-21-11, 08:40 AM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

for 100 bucks you are talking about the integration kit right? Which i thought takes away your SAT option

And for 100.00 I can use xm sat receiver in addition an extra aux port for hd radio.
Old 02-21-11, 08:45 AM
jmaxey6622
Driver

as you WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

under sat radio using the right **** you can navigate between sat radio/ipod/aux....

I STROKE SQUAVE

PLEASE READ HIGHLIGHT
Keeps the Factory Radio Intact – Plug-and-play interface eliminates the need to replace the factory radio, maintaining the vehicle’s original look and feel.
Saves Time and Money – Cutting-edge technology and compact size provide huge advantages over buying and installing a new stereo with similar capabilities.
In Most Applications Retains Original Vehicle Features – Advanced capabilities retain and all safety and convenience features tied to the factory system.i.e.OEM Satellite, Rear Seat Entertainment, and CD changers (please check vehicle compatibility notes)
Provides Multiple Entertainment Options – Additional auxiliary input could be used to connect MP3 players, satellite radio tuners, DVD players, navigation systems or other portable media to the vehicle.
Delivers Digital-Quality Audio – Direct connection to the factory radio ensures static-free, crystal-clear sound from the iPod/iPhone and many other portable media devices.
Enables All iPod/iPhone Features and Functions from the iPod/iPhone or from the Radio – iPod Interface displays information and provides iPod/iPhone control from both the iPod/iPhone and the radio- as a user selectable feature.
Works with Multiple Applications – USB connection allows the PXAMG to be continually updated with downloadable firmware to work with the latest applications.
Plug-and-play installation maintains factory wiring integrity
Old 02-21-11, 08:52 AM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

^^^ ok, which integration kit did you copy that from?
Old 02-21-11, 08:56 AM
jmaxey6622
Driver

^^^ ok, which integration kit did you copy that from?
i got it from the isimple
Old 02-21-11, 09:01 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

i got it from the isimple

And yet it's not the case here. What you're quoting is a generic message not specific to any vehicle.

Your kit plugs into the SAT port.

Which is where the OEM XM unit plugs into.

You can't have both.

You could possibly use some OTHER aftermarket XM kit with your device, but that's more money on top and who know how well it'll work?

Plus for those who already HAD factory XM they now have a $300 paperweight since it doesn't work anymore.

The Lexus ipod kit ALSO uses the SAT port, and it explicitly makes clear you can't use it with the OEM XM kit that many folks got in their cars when they bought em.

Again though, the important thing for sound quality is to use something that plugs into the dock (which all 3 options discussed provide).

The headphone jack sucks because you have to go through the ipod amp. Don't use that for anything.

If you had read the WHOLE article you were cut and pasting from you'd understand there's a large difference with the headphone jack, and why.
http://beavishifi.com/articles/headphonejack/

Line Out jacks to sound better than headphone jacks for connecting to a stereo. First off, the line out jack addresses the impedance mismatch. And depending on your specific unit, it usually bypasses the headphone amplifier completely, thereby taking the noise, impedance and tone coloration out of the equation.
NOTE: that article is somewhat out of date- it mentioned the $2.99 cable I posted earlier as selling for $30 for example... and doesn't seem to be aware of cables that provide line out and charging which have existed since at least 2007... so I'd take his voltage measurements with a bit of a grain of salt but his general points about why the headphone jack is the #1 problem with quality hold up pretty well.

Let me know if you're ever in my area though... I'll be happy to unplug my kit, plug it into your car, and we can do some blindfolded A/B listening tests where I play via your integration kit and my dock-to-aux kit.

I'd bet ya $50 you'd be incapable of accurately telling me which was which.

But if I used the headphone jack it'd be glaringly obvious.

Oh, and if you really want to stick another cheap amp in there to "boost" the signal you can do that with both the integration kits or some of the non-integration options...

Belkins previous kit for example-
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Auto-Ch.../dp/B00009KAPX

The Belkin Auto Kit features an adjustable amplifier

Last edited by Kurtz; 02-21-11 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-22-11, 01:51 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
You're getting the exact same connection with an integration kit as your are a dock-to-aux connector. A line level signal from the ipod to a line level input on the head unit.

identical
Unless of course if you get this iPod integration kit: http://www.vaistech.com/products/mlp/mlp.php

The VaisTech ML+ will give you the best iPod sound quality possible in our cars (better than Dock->Aux, better that standard iPod integration kits). It's very pricey, but does just about everything you could want including digital sound to the amp (if you have Mark Levinson), album art, steering wheel controls, iPod video, etc.

i really just want the best sound quality with my ipod. If you guys say that all the options will have same sound quality, i'll go with the cheapest option. Text on the headunit doesnt really matter to me. Sound clarity is the most important tho.
If you want the best, ML+ is what you're looking for. Whether or not it's worth $500+ is up to you.

Quick Reply: Anyone try this iPod Integration kit?