Thinking about getting a 2IS...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-11, 06:45 PM
BigClexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Thinking about getting a 2IS...

Hey everyone,

I usually fool around in the 2GS side of the forum but I wanted some opinions from over here. I currently own a 2001 GS300 with 60k miles. My whole family has lexuses (lexi?) including my mom who has a 2001 GS with 110,000 miles. I am really happy with my current car, but I am thinking about getting a IS250 / IS350 and giving my car to my mom to replace hers. I wanted to know what you guys think I can get in California for 20k, 25k or 27k? What do you honestly think I could get a new is250 for OTD (professional bargainer)? I figure that I could get an ok is350 for around 25-27 but I could get a really nice nearly new is250 for the same money. Im 19 so performance is big on my list, but idk I would like something really nice, fresh and low miles. Any big problems I should look out for when buying either an IS250 or IS350? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-11-11, 06:59 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you want performance get the 350. they are in your price range. look around in your area to see whats avail
Old 02-11-11, 07:23 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

i'm not sure how the market is in CA but I just picked up my 07 350 with 40k miles, lux package, nav, ML audio, the works for 24.5 out the door.
Old 02-11-11, 07:32 PM
grondie
Merkur Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's going to be a big change going from a 2GS to an IS, less space, harsher ride, etc. I'd go with the 350 though if performence is big on your list.
Old 02-11-11, 07:56 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

the performance feel between the 250 and 350 is quite different. i drove my cousin's 250 back to my place to do an oil change and detail, and it was okay. not fast, but great enough for traffic and daily driving. being 19, you'd have to consider insurance and gas as well. if you can find an older (2005-07) IS 350 with low mileage, i'd say go with that. but using the alloted money for a newer IS 250 with some tech changes might be better- possibly still even under warranty. best of luck, and I hope you find what you're looking for.
Old 02-11-11, 08:08 PM
BigClexus
Rookie

Thanks guys... Idk I agree on the performance; however, the 250 would probably be better for insurance and I know the mileage is great. I will have to start doing some serious looking and comparisons. I keep going on different car kicks, but my whole family has had great luck with lexuses... reliable, handle great, decent gas mileage, long lasting. Everyone of my friends tells me to get an sti, srt8, mercedes, bmw, but Ive been spoiled by the reliability and luxury of the lexus. I would still be at the back of the pack (compared to my friends) with a is250, but screw it I hate spending money. I will have to look into this more. As far as ride quality / handling goes... the gs300 is no comparison to the is250 (test drove a loaner)... the 250 is truly unbelievable and this is compared to a gs which is already unbelievable. I love how lexus maintains a luxury ride will still keeping it sporty (very sporty on the is).
Old 02-11-11, 08:25 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

IS350 =

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxILfpAkPGs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r65HZxyZ0xs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqVigcwfH98

IS250 = common trucks like titans or common SUVs like rav4s or "sports trim" econoboxes like Civic Sis will be more powerful than you -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjjaDo6fP10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xftZWFahJf0

You also have to figure out what type of person you are. You see, most IS250 owners tend to be really humble and know that their car isn't super powerful. An IS250 owner will race an exotic (Ferrari) for ****s and giggles and expect to lose badly, as shown here -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSsDGLQPZ4A

See, the IS250 owner is a nice, chill guy.

IS350 owners??? IS350 owners tend to be a bit more big-headed and cocky, bordering on arrogance . Being faster than 95% of cars (stock) on the road, they aren't used to losing. An IS350 owner will race an exotic (Lamborghini) and will seriously expect to...win as seen -->

http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/40356085

Do you want to be the chill, cool, humble guy who enjoys riding in luxury and style, the IS250 calls for you.

If you're more of a confident, cocky, "my car will destroy you from a dig" alpha male, then the IS350 beckons
Old 02-11-11, 08:31 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Ok in all seriousness I was obviously just kidding and poking fun at stereotypes

Really though, you should just test drive both cars and see what fits your needs more. You are correct an IS250 will be much easier on insurance than an IS350 for obvious reasons (see first three videos I posted)
Old 02-11-11, 08:52 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the IS! If you had driven one already, you wouldn't be posting this thread. The GS are nice cars, but really not in the same class as the IS (literally). If you want the Lexus badge, but performance is important, you should be in an IS. The 350s are strong, and quicker than the 250s, but either is a step up (in reagrds to performance) compared to what you are in now. The ride is going to be rougher, but handling and acceleration are going to be like night and day. At 19yo, this is going to be what you want....... seriously. Take a test drive, or ten, then do your due diligence in regards to pricing, insurance costs, etc, and make an EDUCATED decision. Then DO IT!
Old 02-11-11, 08:52 PM
BigClexus
Rookie

I like the sterotype analysis and its so true. IDK I would like to think of myself as the humble guy that likes to really get on it at certain times and appreciates great performance... I can relate to the after school burnout . That being said I also like to save money... How I can afford to buy a new car in the economy and give my old one to my mom. I know that the 350 will never fail to satisfy my performance needs, but the IS250 will save me on insurance, gas, initial price, probably repairs down the road. Im thinking of taking the road of a 250 but upgrading the brakes, suspension, intake... but at that point I might as well buy an is350. It really comes down to what kind of car I can buy in my area. I kinda came here for initial responses and I will definitely look at all ends of this. Definitely going to do alot of test drives with the 250 and 350.
Old 02-11-11, 08:54 PM
is350idlh
Driver School Candidate

Hey there, I would HIGHLY recommend the is350! A great balance of lux and performance. I def not the guy who is out to race everything on four wheels, but def enjoy punching it every once in a while when entering on ramps or blasting by the occasional slowpoke. Where I live, most IS's are the 250's...it seems there aren't many 350's so there is a sense of "exclusivity." can't go wrong with either in the long run, both should last a very long time. Good luck with whatever you decide! Thanks
Old 02-11-11, 08:55 PM
BigClexus
Rookie

Slammer 1: Yeah I have been doing a long term test in my mom's loaner IS250 (her gs is in the shop)... thats how I got on this kick. Im really into the IS... I wanted to go American and German, but screw it im staying Import luxury !
Old 02-11-11, 09:02 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Get what you want bottom line. As insurance difference for me when I traded in my 250 for the 350 no increase stayed the same. As For mpg no difference either it how you drive HW vs city.
Old 02-11-11, 09:03 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

The styling of the IS series is arguably impeccable. They really are beautiful cars. I am a huge Ferrari fan, and have often commented that each and every line in the body of their cars is deliberate and serves a purpose. You can sit back and look at the IS in the same way. They look so much better than the rest of the Lexus line, and the other cars are attractive by anyone's standards. Add to that the fact that you get the fine attention to detail and couple that with the performance of the IS, and it really is an amazing car. I don't do parking lot burn outs in mine, but it is VERY nice to push down on that pedal and see the chumps in the Mustangs look up like, WTF?, when they suddenly aren't sure they can take you.
Old 02-11-11, 09:05 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

As for insureance (and I'm not 19), I traded an SUV when I got my IS350, and my insurance only went up $125 a year....... Needless to say I was shocked, but glad. Made the purchase that much easier.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a 2IS...