IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

is it normal that my S mode starts in 4th gear all the time?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 05:55 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default is it normal that my S mode starts in 4th gear all the time?

decided to use the paddle shifter at a red light, tap the gear from D to S with the car stopped, noticed it was in 4th gear. i had to manually down shifted it to 1st gear. is this normal?
Old 02-08-11, 05:56 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it's normal. But I have had some occasions where in pwr mode, under hard acceleration, switching to S mode landed me in third. Also when in pwr mode when braking hard and switching to S it landed me in the gear I was actually in which was 2nd. A lot of conditional stuff...

Last edited by MiiK350; 02-09-11 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-08-11, 05:59 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MiiK350
yes
(10 char min is annoying)
any reason behind this? good thing i didn't switch to manual mode when doing 80 mph on freeway.
Old 02-08-11, 06:09 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why? it wouldve made you accelerate faster :>
Old 02-08-11, 06:22 PM
350FSport
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you guys are missing the point. It starts off in "4" because that is the gear in which the auto shift will stop. So, when it says 4, and you are stopped, then the car will auto-shift up to 4th gear, then stay in 4th until you manually shift to 5th. While auto-shifting in "S" mode, it will get higher in the RPM range before shifting than it normally would in regular econo-mode.

Think of it more a a gear-limiter than a true paddle shift. You can use it to down-shift on command as well. I usually leave it at S-4. Bring up the "Gear Position" display to see this in action, and notice how when you shift down to 4-3-2, it takes away those dots as available gears.

Another point here is that "S" is not just for manually shifting, If you leave it as S-6, then you don't need to manually shift at all, but you will get more spirited shift points in auto. Like I said I mostly drive in "S" mode. Then again, I am not worried about gas mileage
Old 02-08-11, 06:33 PM
xology
Driver School Candidate

Yea, mine starts at 4th gear as well... But that's fine by me. 350Fsport explained it really well.

I usually drive in S mode and put the "gear limiter" at 6 so I have the option to down**** as I choose
Old 02-08-11, 06:37 PM
xology
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xology
Yea, mine starts at 4th gear as well... But that's fine by me. 350Fsport explained it really well.

I usually drive in S mode and put the "gear limiter" at 6 so I have the option to down**** as I choose
^LOL, stupid iPhone downshift must have changed to down*****. Or maybe I left out the f
Old 02-08-11, 06:45 PM
uz07lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ur not crazy I thought the same thing at first but then I thought about what if I was doing 60 on the hwy and dropped it in sport mode and it started in 1st gear I wouldnt have a tranny or I would have a very big accident.
Old 02-08-11, 10:18 PM
XxFLASHxX
Driver School Candidate

i'm assuming it's a default that it automatically goes to 4th. kinda like a safety feature so if u put it into S mode while your in a higher gear it won't damage the tranny by going straight to first.
Old 02-09-11, 04:04 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by uz07lex
ur not crazy I thought the same thing at first but then I thought about what if I was doing 60 on the hwy and dropped it in sport mode and it started in 1st gear I wouldnt have a tranny or I would have a very big accident.
The electronics won't let you over-rev, even if you try. If you click the paddle or nudge the gear selector to try to downshift into a gear that would cause the engine to exceed the red line, it won't do it and you'll just hear a beep.
Old 02-09-11, 04:11 AM
ApokC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ what about the video of that guy driving his Lexus on the freeway and he shifts to Reverse and nothing happens?
Old 02-09-11, 05:25 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd say 90% of the time mine goes to 4th gear but I have seen it drop into 3rd when I'm below 30mph.
Old 02-09-11, 09:33 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 350FSport
I think you guys are missing the point. It starts off in "4" because that is the gear in which the auto shift will stop. So, when it says 4, and you are stopped, then the car will auto-shift up to 4th gear, then stay in 4th until you manually shift to 5th. While auto-shifting in "S" mode, it will get higher in the RPM range before shifting than it normally would in regular econo-mode.

Think of it more a a gear-limiter than a true paddle shift. You can use it to down-shift on command as well. I usually leave it at S-4. Bring up the "Gear Position" display to see this in action, and notice how when you shift down to 4-3-2, it takes away those dots as available gears.

Another point here is that "S" is not just for manually shifting, If you leave it as S-6, then you don't need to manually shift at all, but you will get more spirited shift points in auto. Like I said I mostly drive in "S" mode. Then again, I am not worried about gas mileage
Thanks for explaining this so well. I'd been wondering the same thing as the OP since I purchased my 350 2 weeks ago, every time I changed into S mode it started me in 4, no matter what speed I was at. I was also wondering why the car auto-shifted while I was in S mode; I thought it wouldn't shift unless I told it to. Now I understand.

Does shifting it into S mode do anything than change the rev limits/shift points? For example, does it sharpen throttle response, change suspension settings, etc?
Old 02-09-11, 09:44 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

yup it defaults to 4th.
Old 02-09-11, 10:31 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

to quote javy
Originally Posted by javyLSU
Also, the reason the transmission defaults to 4th gear is because that is the 1:1 gear in the 2IS. It's explained in the New Car Features section of the FSM. Here are the rules by which the different 2IS transmissions allow downshifting:

As you can see, 4th gear allows a top speed of 109, 113, and 109 mph, respectively. You have to be going insanely fast for 4th gear not to be appropriate for the speed at which you're driving.

Quick Reply: is it normal that my S mode starts in 4th gear all the time?