IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Michelin pilots A/S falling apart

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-11, 05:09 PM
GSdriven
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Michelin pilots A/S falling apart

After my original tires wore out on my IS350 at 20k I bought Pilots A/S but yesterday I noticed that that there are chunks missing on both side of the tires on both front tires at 44k I went to Costco and they told me it would not be covered through the hazard warranty that I purchased. I have never seen tires do this. I am presuming it is some kind of defect for the rubber to come out in small chunks. Any other owner have similar problems?
Attached Thumbnails Michelin pilots A/S falling apart-wp_000025.jpg  
Old 02-04-11, 06:32 PM
willfxp
Driver

Only on the front? How often do you rotate? Looks like some triangle shape thing you may be rolling over?
Old 02-04-11, 08:04 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGuy35
Yea man, looks like you ran something over.

It looks like you ran over something and it gouged/damaged your tires
Old 02-04-11, 08:48 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It put a triangle shaped mark onto your tire. It it were to fall apart, it wouldn't put the same mark throughout the tire.
Old 02-04-11, 09:41 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

With all the little bits stuck to the tires, I'm wondering if you drove over gravel with the fronts only while turning into a driveway?
Old 02-04-11, 10:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

The wife has these tires on her Scion tC in 245/35/17. They have a two layer tread and will show this kind of wear pretty normally. They're guaranteed for 45k, so you're pretty close to the end of the mileage warranty. I'm not surprised the tire shop won't do anything.
Old 02-05-11, 04:51 PM
GSdriven
Pit Crew

In my attempt for brevity, I was not being detailed enough. The tires cannot be rotated since the is350 has offset tires and they are unidirectional. I live in Tampa all the roads are paved. The markings are identical on both front tires. I have the same tires in the back but they look unblemished. I still have 25k miles left on my tires. I did talk to the general manager of Costco and they are going to prorate my tires about 50% the original cost were $ 240. The tire guys cannot tell me what happened or they do not seem to want to blame the tire. They asked me if I ride rough? What does it mean? I have driven fast on the high way? yes but the tire is supposed to be rated to 150. I have not drag raced it or taken it to track. The brochure I read about the tires says it has different layers of rubber to maintain traction as it ages. Maybe it was not done right or it was not designed to handle the stress of turning. I wonder if I should spend more money to get the same tire and have the same thing happen or get the Hankooks av.
Attached Thumbnails Michelin pilots A/S falling apart-wp_000027.jpg   Michelin pilots A/S falling apart-wp_000028.jpg  
Old 02-05-11, 09:24 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

We see this concern with this particular tire ALL the time. Whether it is on an IS350, LS430, SC430, doesnt matter... This type of tire wear, called "chunking", is extremely common with the Michelin A/S.. why? No idea.. Is it normal? I guess if you compare it to like vehicles with the same tires exibiting the same condition. One of the only tires that Michelin makes thats worth while is the PS/2.
Old 02-05-11, 09:33 PM
shiny250
Advanced

hm i havent seen this sort of wear on my michelins but now ill be sure to check more often.
Old 02-05-11, 10:21 PM
GSdriven
Pit Crew

Thanks RTIS250 There is something going on almost sinister. The Costco guy did tell me that he has seen this before but he did not say that it was common to these tires but he did try to stir me to the PS/2 at $30 dollars more per tire at $195 each prorated instead of the Pilots A/S. Unfortunately Costco only sells Michelin and I think Goodrich. I contacted Michelin, I do not want a proration I want a refund. So I can buy some different tires. This incident has made me done some googling and I found an answer to my previous post about the car pulling to the right, even after spending money on an alignment that showed it in specs. Blamed everything else but the tires. Some GS and Benz with these tires exhibited my same problem.
I am going to find out who regulates the tire industry and try to bring this to the forefront. I am disappointed with Costco and I am pissed. Trying to make me think it was the boogie man.
Old 02-05-11, 10:42 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Spend the extra bucks for the PS2s... It's worth it!!
Old 02-05-11, 11:03 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSdriven
Thanks RTIS250 There is something going on almost sinister. The Costco guy did tell me that he has seen this before but he did not say that it was common to these tires but he did try to stir me to the PS/2 at $30 dollars more per tire at $195 each prorated instead of the Pilots A/S. Unfortunately Costco only sells Michelin and I think Goodrich. I contacted Michelin, I do not want a proration I want a refund. So I can buy some different tires. This incident has made me done some googling and I found an answer to my previous post about the car pulling to the right, even after spending money on an alignment that showed it in specs. Blamed everything else but the tires. Some GS and Benz with these tires exhibited my same problem.
I am going to find out who regulates the tire industry and try to bring this to the forefront. I am disappointed with Costco and I am pissed. Trying to make me think it was the boogie man.
So, you drove on the tires for 1/2 their life, they are giving you 50% of the cost back, yet you think you deserve a full refund?

Aren't you getting a full refund for the mileage you didn't put on them?

IMO you're being a tad greedy.
Old 02-06-11, 04:01 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
So, you drove on the tires for 1/2 their life, they are giving you 50% of the cost back, yet you think you deserve a full refund?

If there was nothing wrong with the tires he would be.

This situation is different, the tires are obviously defective.

Defective = 100% refund or replace with the same product that isn't defective.
Old 02-06-11, 05:55 AM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

I live in Tampa, buy the PS2's, I love mine. I have them on all 3 of the cars. Well worth the extra money, now I'm waiting on the tires on our new suv to wear so I can put michelins latitudes on that too. I think you need to make a trip out to Winter Haven to Discount Tire, or order from TireRack. You go to Costco for food.
Old 02-06-11, 06:49 AM
GSdriven
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Infra

Lets supposed you went to Thailand and visited one of those bath house and you pick one of those cute girls and she does a dirty deed but lo and behold you find it is not a cute girl but a cute guy. Do you pay half, or want a refund?
I would not expect them to pay anything if it is something I did, either through neglect or accident but if you did not get what you expected or thought you were getting because of defect or misinterpretation who is at fault then? I do not know if my situation is a rarity or common. But I have already spent time on these tires for an alignment, aggravation, and made to think it is something I did. and I only want the money so I do not have to buy another Michelin and can go someplace else and I would take a partial. I also paid extra for the road hazard warranty. I know PS2 are great. I research them before I bought the Pilots which were a great bang for the bucks. I think the wear rating on the PS2 are like 200 or about 20k miles.

Quick Reply: Michelin pilots A/S falling apart