IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rear Defroster Interfering with FM Radio!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-11, 11:46 AM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Defroster Interfering with FM Radio!

As I was leaving school last night, I had the FM radio on and when I turned on the REAR defroster, the music turned into STATIC!! I turned the rear defroster off, and the radio sound returned to normal . I tried my front defroster and it had no effect on the radio. I tried AM radio with the rear defroster on, and it was fine. So it seems like the REAR defroster somehow interferes with the FM radio only.

I did a search and found a similar thread wherein people suggested that it was either a metallic tint creating a connection between the defroster lines and the antenna lines OR that there may be a break in one of the lines, but there didn't seem to be a definitive answer.

My windows aren't tinted (rocking the "fishbowl" for now), and I looked at the lines and didn't see any obvious breaks (I realize it could be a miniscule break that I can't see). I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Any ideas what else it could be? I'm really hoping my only solution isn't to have the rear windshield replaced ....

I drive an 06 IS250 without Navi or Mark Levinson.
Old 02-02-11, 11:59 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

you SURE you dont have a light metallic tint? I have metallic tint and it does the same thing on my car
Old 02-02-11, 12:29 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

I'm positive it isn't tinted at all! I wish it were! It's greenish from the factory, but clear!

Last edited by Lexitegra; 02-02-11 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-02-11, 02:53 PM
LEXtegra
Driver

Lexitegra, somethings very familiar about your user name.... If I were you I would double check and recheck that window. Maybe the previous owner had the windows tinted then removed the tint before selling it. Its the only thing I can think of.
Old 02-02-11, 02:55 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

damn that sucks... ill keep that in mind when gettin tints
Old 02-02-11, 04:40 PM
willfxp
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexitegra
I'm positive it isn't tinted at all! I wish it were! It's greenish from the factory, but clear!
I have an 06 250 AWD, no tint, and I don't have that problem. I can play FM and turn on the rear defroster.

Originally Posted by crazybuggy
damn that sucks... ill keep that in mind when gettin tints
It's only the less expensive metallic tints that do it. Who'd want those anyways
Old 02-02-11, 04:41 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FM radio is OLD school.

What cell phone and plan do you have?

www.slacker.com / www.pandora.com

Download the subsonic app and you can stream from your home laptop/desktop!

I don't use my radio for anything other than AUX
Old 02-02-11, 04:57 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LEXtegra
Lexitegra, somethings very familiar about your user name.... If I were you I would double check and recheck that window. Maybe the previous owner had the windows tinted then removed the tint before selling it. Its the only thing I can think of.
So YOU'RE the LEXTEGRA user! That was the user name I originally tried to create but had to settle for LEXITEGRA! hehe.

I've checked and there aren't any signs of tint, but I would think any good tint removal place would not have left residue right? There aren't any adhesive or tint remnants anywhere. Now, assuming the previous owner did have a metallic tint on it, is this not remedied by removing the tint? Is it just permanently damaged?

I can deal with not having FM radio when using my rear defrosters, it's just annoying
Old 02-02-11, 05:01 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jmags
FM radio is OLD school.

What cell phone and plan do you have?

www.slacker.com / www.pandora.com

Download the subsonic app and you can stream from your home laptop/desktop!

I don't use my radio for anything other than AUX
I'm one of the last people on earth to have a "stupid" phone (non smart phone ). I know, I know, it's like I'm living in the Dark Ages or something! That's another story...

I like listening to some of the morning and evening radio programs....otherwise I'm usually connected to my mp3 player....which is why i didn't notice it sooner!
Old 02-02-11, 05:30 PM
SUPERBRINO
Pole Position

I have the same problem in my 06 civic, always had static when listening to FM and defroster was on SAME CIRCUMSTANCE past several months, half my defroster lines stopped working, now none of the defroster lines work and im wondering if it fried them! we need more people to chime in ...
Old 02-02-11, 07:58 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SUPERBRINO
I have the same problem in my 06 civic, always had static when listening to FM and defroster was on SAME CIRCUMSTANCE past several months, half my defroster lines stopped working, now none of the defroster lines work and im wondering if it fried them! we need more people to chime in ...
Your Civic's defroster just stopped working? Yeesh, sorry to hear that.

Well, after doing a bit of searching, it seems that a likely cause could be a broken or scratched rear window defroster grid line since my windows aren't tinted. It must be a hairline fracture because I couldn't see anything obvious. This apparently could have resulted from turning on the defroster in very cold temperatures...but I live in SoCal so that doesn't really make any sense....Superbrino, can you see any cracks or scratches in your Civic's rear windshield grid lines?

Someone else suggested a faulty ground for either the antenna or defroster, but since I have absolutely no electrical knowledge, I don't know if this sounds right or what and where I would need to check to make sure!
Old 02-02-11, 10:32 PM
SUPERBRINO
Pole Position

thanks Lexitegra ... I will definitely check, never really examined it up close ... I certainly used the defroster in extremely cold weather, tinted the car as soon as i bought it (oct 2005) ... I also know that the antenna is in the back window so all of these things you mentioned seem to make sense, someone mentioned a fuse but i doubt that considering some of the def lines worked and now its all of them ... im gonna check it out and get back to you, thanks for the info!
Old 04-02-11, 09:41 AM
drewfus32
Driver School Candidate

hey i have this same issue on my 06 is250, radio goes out with rear defrost and comes right back when defrost is turned off. no Tint or residue at all, i saw some GS owners have the same problem but no fix.
Old 01-09-13, 10:26 AM
cmf007
Driver School Candidate

I have the same issue on 06 GS 300; the car still under CPO and I took to the dealer to take care of it. I let you know what they say or do.
Old 01-09-13, 03:38 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same issue with my 09 IS, but it only happens sometimes. I have ceramic tint on it.

Quick Reply: Rear Defroster Interfering with FM Radio!