IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone else think the ABS is a little too sensitive? 07 is250

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-11, 02:00 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh wow. Just thought of something. Maybe your car was peeing brake fluid in the snow.

Well maybe not. It would feel spongy. Well it would be spongy if there were air in the line. GAH!! Check your fluid.
Old 02-01-11, 02:00 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by laobo979
my 350 with snow tires and my abs dont kick in unless i tap it hard to lock up.
I'm on tire rack looking for snow tires.

My only issue now is that I might as well buy new rims too, the ones on the car right now have curb rash.

Put the snow tires on the stock rims.

And the current tires on the new rims, is what I'm thinking.
Old 02-01-11, 02:11 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

LoL, these prices are redic.

My camaro tires are much wider and 18's and are less than this!!
Old 02-01-11, 02:14 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

It the season prices change for the demand of the season...That why i bought mine in the summer time when they offer free shipping and $100 rebates
Old 02-01-11, 02:21 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by laobo979
It the season prices change for the demand of the season...That why i bought mine in the summer time when they offer free shipping and $100 rebates
Lol, guess I'll be fixing the bronco brake lines, I already have them, just too lazy to get under there and fix it.

that's the real winter beater.

Old 02-01-11, 02:23 PM
IS250TW
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha... yeah the abs did kick in pretty fast
Also as the traction control lol

seems that the is had everything coming fast lol
Old 02-01-11, 02:58 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someones proud of there bronco . I've seen more pics of the bronco than the lexus lol
Old 02-01-11, 03:44 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmags
what do tires without brakes do? ROLL :P
Actually, no, they stop the car.

They take longer to do so of course.

Do you think if you take your foot off the gas, and never touch the brakes, that it'd just keep going forever or something?

If not, what is stopping it?

It's the friction between the tires and the road.

That's the only thing that stops your car. Brakes allow it to do so with the maximum possible amount of friction. (which is why larger brakes beyond the friction capacity of the tires are completely useless for stopping any shorter... past the limit of the tire the brakes don't help any).

Your ABS kept kicking in because the all-seasons, which suck in snow compared to winter tires, were managing very little friction... and the ABS system noticed.

As others with snow tires have mentioned, they don't have that problem.

FYI, pulling the fuse for ABS will set off a cascade of other malfunction lights on the dash, makes the multi-display useless, and disable a number of other useful systems on the car (the e-LSD for example, which would come in useful in limited traction weather).

Oh, and the reason it's slowing down with the paddles is that the car can engine brake... This is most often useful to preserve the brakes from overheating when coming down out of the mountains and such.
Old 02-01-11, 05:32 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PEARLIS250
Someones proud of there bronco . I've seen more pics of the bronco than the lexus lol
LoL, I do love the bronco, sux that it's brake lines keep rotting out on me!!
Old 01-21-14, 01:01 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

so.. any idea how to disable abs? I have this problem even with snow tires.
Old 01-23-14, 01:24 PM
codenko
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You stopped the car with the emergency foot brake in the snow/ice??

sigh... correct me if I'm wrong since I'm from california and our idea of winter is anything below 70, but chancing locking up your rear tires in ice or snow doesn't seem like the greatest idea...
Old 01-25-14, 02:43 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by szrae
You stopped the car with the emergency foot brake in the snow/ice??

sigh... correct me if I'm wrong since I'm from california and our idea of winter is anything below 70, but chancing locking up your rear tires in ice or snow doesn't seem like the greatest idea...
it's the only way to do it. Just happened again and had to use the emergency brake pedal to avoid sliding out into an intersection.

doing 15/20 mph, hit brakes, nothing, the milisecond I hit the brakes abs is already on and being useless.. now slipping into an intersection on a down hill, hit the emergency brakes car starts to slow dragging the back wheels and comes to a stop seconds later. Abs is useless in this car, it doesn't even let the wheels slip at all. It'd be nice if we could choose to disable it.
Old 01-25-14, 04:02 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
Abs is useless in this car, it doesn't even let the wheels slip at all. It'd be nice if we could choose to disable it.
the fact that anyone would consider disabling ABS just makes no sense. Without ABS, what are you going to do--pump the brakes old school? Just stomp on them and lock them up?
Old 01-25-14, 04:20 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tex2670
the fact that anyone would consider disabling ABS just makes no sense. Without ABS, what are you going to do--pump the brakes old school? Just stomp on them and lock them up?
Do you drive in snow and ice much? I have slid RIGHT BY the turn I'm trying to make at 5mph because abs comes on and what little traction I had is now gone.

Yes, just like tonight as I'm doing MAYBE 10mph up to a red light I would just stomp on them and lock them up.. when abs kicked on and I was now not stopping in the slightest I locked up the two rear wheels via the emergency brake and guess what.. stopped quickly.

Here's some with more experience talking about what I've personally experienced.

I have put on 250,000+ miles on a 2004 and 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 's over the past ten years, and I can say without a doubt that the abs system on these trucks dramatically increases the stopping distances in many of the road conditions I encounter, and can be downright scary at times.

These trucks have 4 wheel disk brakes, with a 3-channel abs system.

These are my personal daily driver trucks that I use in the city, on the highway, on the farm and for driving to remote oilfield work sites. I can list several driving conditions that I regularly encounter that the abs on these trucks increases braking distances to the point that is truly dangerous.

1 - Gravel Roads - Even your study that you linked showed that with every one of the test vehicles the stopping distances were significantly increased on gravel with ABS. (an average of 30%!)

2 - Gravel Roads with a Washboard Surface - Braking is horrendous with my trucks on this surface that is routinely encountered at intersections on gravel roads

3 - Washboard Gravel Roads During the Winter Months - Add a bit of ice or packed snow to a washboard surface, and braking essentially non-existent. I was absolutely shocked when I experienced this during the first winter I owned this truck. I was travelling down a gravel road, and was late to notice my turn off. I had to brake a little harder then normal to make the turn off, but the abs wouldn't let that happen, instead braking force was virtually non-existent, and I slid wayyyyy past my turn off! Blown away by how horrible the braking performance was, I immediately pulled the abs fuse and attempted the same stop again. This time I was able to lock up the brakes, and the tires dug in and I was able to stop so hard that any thing I had on the seat slid off, and I stopped well before my corner! There had to be a ten fold decrease in stopping distance!

This wasn't an emergency situation, but I'm glad I experienced it, in a non critical situation. After this I started to pull my ABS fuse anytime I left the pavement.

4 - Muddy roads. This is another situation that a locked up tire will allow the truck to stop in a lot shorter distance.

5 - Pavement with Sand or Gravel on the Surface - They put a lot of sand on the streets during the winter up here. There are several weeks in the spring time, before the city has a chance to clean the streets, that the abs on my trucks is horrible. A locked up tire will slow a vehicle far quicker then a rolling one on sand covered pavement.

7 - Icy snow covered roads - The roads up here rarely have a uniform coefficient of traction. Usually traffic makes a pretty good path on the road, but move over a few feet, and the surface can dramatically change. You can have ice, packed snow, snow drifts, etc. I find that these rapidly changing road surfaces can really confuse my abs system.

6 - Rough Roads on any Surface During any Season - This is the big one. I can handle poor brakes off the pavement where there isn't a lot of traffic, but when the abs fails you when you need it the most on the streets with traffic, you really start to hate the system.

Our roads here in Canada are far from smooth. We have potholes, bumps, frost heaves, railroad tracks, grooves in road, etc. These uneven surfaces really upsets the abs on my trucks. I'm often unloaded, so it doesn't take much of a bump to cause a tire on the back axle to lock up under moderate braking. When this occurs the abs pushes the pedal up, and significantly decreases the deceleration. I have yet to have an accident, since I try to always maintain a safe following distance, but everyone knows that if you leave a car length of space in front of you, someone is going to try and fill it. It's when these cars pull in front of you and then suddenly have to brake for whatever reason, that I have repeatedly had some white knuckle experiences wondering if my truck will stop in time!

I have had several people experience my abs kicking in way sooner then expected while driving my trucks, and it has startled them to the point where they don't feel safe driving my truck!

There is no doubt that there are better ABS systems out there. The four channel systems that can reduce braking force to a single wheel without reducing braking force to the other wheels are ideal. Unless we mandate 4 channel ABS systems that are tested to ensure that they perform in real driving conditions, I'd much just prefer an ABS switch like a cruise control cancel switch, which allows the driver to disable the ABS when the conditions warrant it!

ABS is great at higher speeds for maintaining control under hard braking, where swerving to miss an object is still an option. Most of the situations I listed above, having the ability to turn doesn't help, and anything that increases the braking distance is a hindrance.

I love winter driving, since it allows you to drive at the limit at relatively slow speeds without to much risk. My friends and I love to drive after a fresh snowstorm. We routinely go out in the middle of the night after a fresh snow to play, and test the limits of our vehicles without endangering or harming the public. We all run studded tires in the winter, and with the grip they provide, I've observed that it is only the trucks that have ABS issues. Any of the cars in my circle of friends are just fine with ABS and studded tires on the street.

I know when ABS systems came out I was told in panic situation to slam on the brakes, and let the system due the work. This doesn't work to well on icy surfaces, instead we have observed that threshold braking on slippery surfaces with or without the abs produces the shortest braking distance. One can usually stop a couple feet shorter without the abs, but it isn't as controlled or as pretty.

I'm late to discussion, but it's essentially the same every winter. The arguments are quite heated with strong support for either side. I always find it quite entertaining, especially since there is a simple and obvious solution that can keep everyone happy. A switch!

A switch would allow a person to have full control over the ABS system, allowing the choice to turn if off if the road conditions warrant it! Like it was previous mentioned Audi used to have an ABS off switch on their cars, why can't we have a switch like that today?
Old 01-25-14, 04:37 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...oftware-update something like this.

Quick Reply: Anyone else think the ABS is a little too sensitive? 07 is250