IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Questions from a proud new IS350 owner: shop manual? smoked tails in MD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-11, 04:48 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Questions from a proud new IS350 owner: shop manual? smoked tails in MD?

Hi everyone,

On Monday I traded in my 2003 E55 AMG for a 2007 IS350. The guys at the dealer couldn't believe it, but they didn't know the nightmare experiences I'd had with the AMG. I probably drove it 50% of the time, the rest of the time I drove a loaner C300 while mine was in the shop. Prior to the E55 I had two LS400's, and I'm happy to be back with Lexus (and this time, I'll be staying).

I had a few questions that I was hoping you guys could help me answer. I've done some searching of the forum, however I wasn't able to find answers to the questions below, though I certainly may have missed them.

1) Does anyone know how/where I can obtain a shop/service repair manual for a 2007 IS350? Because of all the repairs the AMG needed I got intimately acquainted with its inner workings, and I'd really like to be able to delve into the details of my new car. I wouldn't necessarily be using it to perform my own repairs, since my car's certified for 5 years/125k miles, but I would like to learn more about it.

The two options I've found are: 1) Buying the whole printed repair manual set but it's $600 and I'm not looking to spend that (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...sQ5fLiterature), and 2) Buying a burned CD from an eBay seller with the PDFs of the manual on it, which is much cheaper but also a bit sketchy and the seller admitted it's not the complete manual (http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Lexus-IS250...item3cb2039b12).

I have to imagine somewhere out there is a better option than these two, and if someone has one I'd love to hear about it (and am willing to pay, just not $600).

2) Does anyone know of the legality of tinted taillights in Maryland? I live in Baltimore and really like the look of the tinted taillights, but I know Maryland is very strict on window tinting so I imagine they'd be similarly strict on taillights. However looking at the laws (http://www.berwynheightspd.com/tinted%20windows.htm) I only see:

22-227(f) COLOR OF LIGHTS ON REAR OF VEHICLE - All lighting devices and reflectors mounted on the rear
of any vehicle shall display or reflect a RED Color, except the Stoplight or Other Signal Device, which may be Red,
Amber or Yellow, except that the light illuminating the Registration Plate shall be
White and the light emitted by a Backup Lamp shall be White or Amber.

Seems that because tinted taillights still display red light, and the IS350 also has lower reflectors, they should be legal.. But I'd love to hear from someone more knowledgeable/experienced.

3) On a similar note, what is your opinion on tinting taillights using film vs. paint? How difficult is each to remove? And does it significantly dim output?

4) Lastly, any recommendations on minor/inexpensive performance, electronic, or appearance mods that wouldn't void the warranty? The car already has the F-sport exhaust, which I love. Since I just bought the car and have a warranty on it, I don't want to do anything that's too expensive nor would void the warranty, but I'd love to hear suggestions.

Very much looking forward to getting more acquainted with the forums and reading more from others. Thanks a lot for reading, and I appreciate your responses!

Brad

Below are some pictures of the car, haven't been able to take my own yet but will soon!
Attached Thumbnails Questions from a proud new IS350 owner: shop manual? smoked tails in MD?-3dd10f390a0a000201cf6aa326d3c033.jpg   Questions from a proud new IS350 owner: shop manual? smoked tails in MD?-3dd11b700a0a000201cf6aa307462daa.jpg   Questions from a proud new IS350 owner: shop manual? smoked tails in MD?-3dd1241c0a0a000201cf6aa30cb3f1d2.jpg  
Old 01-29-11, 05:36 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice ride...the MB i'm sure was a nice ride too! As far as the service manual I have no Idea. Kurtz posts when/what is due at what mileage. It's not much. Just like motor oil, brake fluid, air filter, interior cabin filter, spark plugs (I've heard 60K and others) not sure on that one. As far as the performance/aesthetics. You could always purchase F Sport parts. I'd recommend an intake for you to pair with your exhaust. There are LED interior cabin lights that are brighter from different manufacturers. Brociouz has a complete guide to LED replacement for our cars including LED DRL's(Day Time Running lights), interior lights, reverse, High beam etc. Good luck with your baby!
Old 01-29-11, 05:45 PM
LEX250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MD allows the windows to be no more than 35%, however many times even with 35% you might get a repair order (ticket). I run with 25% (darker than 35%) except the front windshield and have never had problems.
Paint (smoke) the tail lights!!! The overlays suck and toooo difficult to do on IS tails, so many shops wouldn't go for it.
Old 01-29-11, 06:05 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Nice ride...the MB i'm sure was a nice ride too! As far as the service manual I have no Idea. Kurtz posts when/what is due at what mileage. It's not much. Just like motor oil, brake fluid, air filter, interior cabin filter, spark plugs (I've heard 60K and others) not sure on that one. As far as the performance/aesthetics. You could always purchase F Sport parts. I'd recommend an intake for you to pair with your exhaust. There are LED interior cabin lights that are brighter from different manufacturers. Brociouz has a complete guide to LED replacement for our cars including LED DRL's(Day Time Running lights), interior lights, reverse, High beam etc. Good luck with your baby!
Thanks for the reply. The manual I'm looking for is actually not a maintenance manual, but is the one the Lexus shops actually use for repairs, shows detailed exploded images of components, etc.

How much is the F-sport intake?

By the way, your car is beautiful, I checked out your profile with the list of mods. Love the grille, where can I find genuine LX Mode grilles and what do they run? I think I'd be interested in the gunmetal without emblem...
Old 01-29-11, 06:08 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by LEX250
MD allows the windows to be no more than 35%, however many times even with 35% you might get a repair order (ticket). I run with 25% (darker than 35%) except the front windshield and have never had problems.
Paint (smoke) the tail lights!!! The overlays suck and toooo difficult to do on IS tails, so many shops wouldn't go for it.
Thanks for the reply. I bought the E55 in Virginia, it had 20% tint all around, and when I brought it to MD it wouldn't pass inspection so I had to take everything off. It was a shame because it looked great. I'd love to put 20-25% on the IS, but I don't need the hassle from cops.

Do you have smoked tail lights? Where do I go to get that done, what kind of shop do I look for? And what do you think it'd cost to paint them? And is it permanent?

I'm with you, I think overall the painted smoked lights look better, but I just don't know where to begin or what it would cost.
Old 01-29-11, 11:38 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Start right here!!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is2...-09-tails.html

I want oem 09+ tails or ISF tails. Find me those and you can have my smoked ISF tails. They're professionally done and look great, I just want to switch it up. There is NOTHING wrong with them at all. In the thread is a pic of them on a blue ISF and my grey IS350. LMK!!
Old 01-29-11, 11:45 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought my LX Mode grille from L-Tuned ( look in the vendor section). There is also one for sale in gunmetal in the classifieds. Jump on it $300. Also, thanks for the compliments on my car!
Old 01-30-11, 06:17 AM
calvin2376
Racer

I bought my LX Mode grille from L-Tuned ( look in the vendor section). There is also one for sale in gunmetal in the classifieds. Jump on it $300. Also, thanks for the compliments on my car!
Shoot, I missed that one. Thanks for the heads up though, now I'll be looking.
Old 01-30-11, 06:18 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by ScKcBc
Start right here!!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is2...-09-tails.html

I want oem 09+ tails or ISF tails. Find me those and you can have my smoked ISF tails. They're professionally done and look great, I just want to switch it up. There is NOTHING wrong with them at all. In the thread is a pic of them on a blue ISF and my grey IS350. LMK!!
I appreciate the offer but those might be a little too dark for me, plus I have no way of acquiring 09+ or IS-F tails. Sorry!
Old 01-30-11, 06:39 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Rather than buying an expensive printed service manual or something of dubious quality and legality on eBay just purchase a subscription to TIS, the always-up-to-date service online resource the dealers use. 2-day subscriptions start at $15. http://techinfo.lexus.com
Old 01-30-11, 07:21 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by calvin2376
I appreciate the offer but those might be a little too dark for me, plus I have no way of acquiring 09+ or IS-F tails. Sorry!
they light up perfect, they're just completely black when off. If you decide you want to just buy them, lmk
Old 01-30-11, 09:22 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats on the purchase. I picked up my 07 about 6 months ago and love it. I would check out Sewell (they are a vendor on the forums) for some good prices on Fspot parts. If you register on their site with your club lexus ID they offer you even better pricing. Also check out the JoeZ intake. Its a popular alternative to the Fsport and cheaper. (I just picked opne up myself). Rear Fsport sway bar is a top 5 mod for these cars as well.
Old 01-30-11, 10:26 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by Bichon
Rather than buying an expensive printed service manual or something of dubious quality and legality on eBay just purchase a subscription to TIS, the always-up-to-date service online resource the dealers use. 2-day subscriptions start at $15. http://techinfo.lexus.com
What does this offer me? If I sign up for two days, can I go in and download everything available (I assume they have PDFs of the repair manual) so I have it on my computer and don't have to keep up a subscription?

Does anyone else have experience with TIS?
Old 01-30-11, 01:04 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
What does this offer me? If I sign up for two days, can I go in and download everything available (I assume they have PDFs of the repair manual) so I have it on my computer and don't have to keep up a subscription?

Does anyone else have experience with TIS?
The best things about TIS are that it is searchable and always up-to-date.

Yes, you can go to town downloading PDFs of everything you are interested in during a 2 day subscription. It's pretty labor intensive though, as the repair manuals are broken down into small sections; you can't download an entire manual in one PDF.
Old 01-31-11, 07:59 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Can you link me to more info on the LED DRL's? Specifically, what's involved in installing them and what it costs?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Questions from a proud new IS350 owner: shop manual? smoked tails in MD?