IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cam gears......again????

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-11, 04:52 PM
IS350rock
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam gears......again????

Ok so when I got my car I'n July I noticed the grinding noise when I start my car. So I called my Local Lexus dealer and they did the cam gears. Ok so last night I thought I herd something and today I herd a light grinding noise again. My gf is a ear whitness she herd it to. So is it possible for them to go out again and is my warranty going to cover it again. And my they shouldn't say anything about my intake right. Cuase they didn't when I got valve spring recall done.
Old 01-27-11, 05:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I had the problem twice. I wasn't very happy about it. Not sure how many revisions they've been through on their cam drive sprockets (last I checked it was 5), but this was one of the smaller reasons I decided to trade in the 350 for the F.
Old 01-27-11, 06:42 PM
IS350rock
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I had the problem twice. I wasn't very happy about it. Not sure how many revisions they've been through on their cam drive sprockets (last I checked it was 5), but this was one of the smaller reasons I decided to trade in the 350 for the F.

I'm just hoping they don't tell me it isn't covered. Iv been thinking of getting a Isf but I just got my is350 I'n July lol
Old 01-27-11, 07:11 PM
vinconist
Pole Position

It's covered under the powertrain warranty, leaving ur intake on depends on how lacks ur dealer is, I had my intake on when they replaced my engine, again every dealer is different
Old 01-28-11, 12:15 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Is this a potential "wear and tear" issue or is the "problem" in and of itself relatively harmless?

I'm toying with the notion of not even worrying about it because the noise alone doesn't bother me. Is this a bad idea? Does the mechanism underlying the grinding noise promote excessive wear and tear on the engine in any way?

For me, the problem never occurs on cold start up; it almost always occurs on a "warm" start up within half an hour to an hour of turning the car off after driving around.
Old 01-28-11, 05:51 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

I've gotten the cam gear replacement done too and I STILL get that noise every now and then.
The sound is embarrassing!

"Hey, nice car!"
"Thanks"

-person starts the car-
CLCKLKDJLKCLCLKCLKICKLAICLKCCLAIALALALCICK

"Wow.....what piece of ----."
"I know, theres nothing really wrong with it"
"Whatever dude, it sounds like crap"

thats the conversation, and everyone knows it.

I saw someone post that if you let off of your brake as soon as you recognize its about to start....it'll release some sort of pressure on that area or something like that and makes it so it doesnt chatter. I never really verified if what he said was actually possible, but I do it just because, and it seems to maybe work??? I really dont know. Sometimes, it still makes the noise but those times i may have been to slow. Maybe Lobox can give us some insight.

I want it fixed and fixed for good!

Last edited by 06isDriver; 01-28-11 at 05:57 AM.
Old 01-28-11, 09:55 AM
IS350rock
Driver

^ I so agree with you I hate that convo lol I feel so dumb. Is one of the guys on here a machanic for a Lexus dealer??? Maybe he can help.???
Old 01-28-11, 11:00 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Let off the brake? Seriously? I'd hang a dead chicken foot of the rearview. I'm sure it will have a more powerful voodoo effect than letting off the brake. Besides, the chicken foot is worth 25 hp...

The problem is oil pressure not getting to the cam drive quickly enough to stabilize it. Lexus knows this and has put a locking pin in the cam drive to hold the moving parts in place until there is sufficient oil pressure. The problem is, the pin isn't 100% reliable in locking the cam drive when the engine is shut off and then started up.

Initially, mine ONLY did it on a warm start after at least an hour of operation. After the replacement gears were installed, it did it on the occasional cold start. I know they've redesigned the part at least 5 times (last time I checked was more than a year ago, so there may be a newer part now) and they still have not achieved the goal. Maybe they want to stay in pursuit of perfection without ever getting there...

There have been any number of issues across Toyota with VVT technologies from cam drives to oil control valves. I was very happy to see the 2UR-GSE adopt an electronic control for the intake cams on the V-8. It will never make noise from the intake side for sure.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 01-28-11 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-29-11, 08:21 AM
Duke02
Driver

I too had the TSIB performed and then had the noise occur several times afterwards. The problem is that it's so intermittent that I can't get it to replicate at the dealer. And given the amount of work that was involved 1) I'm sure Lexus isn't falling over itself to redo the work and 2) I don't know that I'd want them pulling the engine apart anyway.

I'm firmly of the belief (right or wrong) that anytime you take something apart, it never really goes back the same way, especially vs how it came from the factory.

From what I understand it's not a real engine wear or longevity issue, especially with how intermittent it is, so I just roll my eyes when I hear it and curse my buying the first model year of any car.
Old 01-29-11, 10:45 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Duke02
I too had the TSIB performed and then had the noise occur several times afterwards. The problem is that it's so intermittent that I can't get it to replicate at the dealer. And given the amount of work that was involved 1) I'm sure Lexus isn't falling over itself to redo the work and 2) I don't know that I'd want them pulling the engine apart anyway.

I'm firmly of the belief (right or wrong) that anytime you take something apart, it never really goes back the same way, especially vs how it came from the factory.

From what I understand it's not a real engine wear or longevity issue, especially with how intermittent it is, so I just roll my eyes when I hear it and curse my buying the first model year of any car.
My thoughts exactly.

Maybe if the problem was definitively resolved after the TSIB, I'd highly consider doing the "fix" under warranty, but it doesn't even seem like this is the case.

I'd rather them not tinker with any engine parts if at all possible.

By the way, I don't think you're at any more of a disadvantage than I am buying the first model year of the car. I have a 2009 and I experience the issue as well.
Old 01-29-11, 12:29 PM
PTYIS2
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default i have changed gears three times already and nothing

My dealer have changed 3 times the cams gears and it still makes de noise. Im not sure if this is true, but every time it does the noise i feel that the car performance change. My teory is that when it makes the noise the sprocket get moved advancing or retarding the cam timing, but again thats what i feel, and never dynoed it to see if its true.

Today i received that car again, the dealer did the valve recall job, and up til now it havent done the noise again, who knows, maybe the combiantion of latest cam gear plus the new springs might help somehow...but it doenst think so, what i did notice is that the car is a little slower now.... My car its going to be 5 years in april so maybe its time to get something new.

keep you posted if the noise is gone in the following weeks.
Old 01-29-11, 01:52 PM
Focker
Driver School Candidate

Mine is intermitent too. I've started recording the startup of the car with my iphone to prove that it's actually happening.
Old 01-29-11, 01:56 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got mine replaced back in november and i havent heard it yet. gl with that and let us know what happens
Old 01-29-11, 06:33 PM
bronz
Driver

im gonna do my cam gears on monday.....including valve springs. and if it still makes that rattle sound on startup im gonna get rid of my is350.
Old 01-29-11, 06:35 PM
Focker
Driver School Candidate

Mine goes in on the 7th. Best part is they keep the car for a day and a half, do all that labour and still charge me $125 for an oil change!!

Quick Reply: Cam gears......again????