IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-11, 06:10 PM
Alias
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by syzygy
If you're relatively young and don't anticipate the whole "married life with kids" deal in the near future, I would highly consider the 350z. As you grow older, your opportunity to own such an impractical vehicle like the Z will inevitably shorten.
i like this, very true. , im in a similar situation as well... but i still love my IS
Old 01-26-11, 06:11 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by syzygy
...As you grow older, your opportunity to own such an impractical vehicle like the Z will inevitably shorten...
not necessarily true
Old 01-26-11, 06:25 PM
ohiostate
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with the is350, but its pretty much a no lose situation
Old 01-26-11, 06:27 PM
relaxfoo
Lead Lap

I had a 350z before selling it to get an IS250. In terms of power I really miss the 350z, it was really fun to drive compared to my IS250. Then again you are considering an IS 350 so that doesn't apply to you. Also if you were a MT man you will always be a MT man, yo will regret selling out to an AUTO. Auto is really boring, yes IS350 comes with shifters but they are just rev limiters - not the same at all (someone correct me if I'm wrong.) This is one of the main reason I chose the is250 bc of the MT factor. I rather drive a slower car with MT than a faster car with auto, unless it's a GTR I'll make an exception for that. Then there is an issue of space, there is absolutely no space in the Z which is good and bad. You can't fit more than two bags of luggage but then again you have an excuse not to drive people around. Personally I do enjoy the back seat of an IS, it is very useful. However the back seats doesn't fold down which I think is stupid. Overall you are choosing a real sports car (350z) vs a sports sedan (isx50). You might also want to consider that if you get a 350z you will be getting a car design that is dated, I mean it still looks nice but the 370z looks a lot better. For me I think I should have just kept the 350z and modded it heavily, but I do enjoy the luxuries of a lexus.

Ps: I almost died twice in my 350z that's how much fun it will be...and I had 10 points on my license during the 3 years I owned it.

Last edited by relaxfoo; 01-26-11 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-26-11, 06:33 PM
pratik_10
Pole Position

since your thinking about the long run and you love the is already i say go for the is. go for the 350. this car turns a lot of heads i have had it ever since i got my license and trust me you can get just as many girls with this car as you could with the Z. plus the 350 is low on maintenance. for me it basically feels like a two door car because no one can sit behind me because of the lack of space after the seat is adjusted
Old 01-26-11, 06:48 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IS bec its awesome if you need a Manual then go for Z if you willing to settle for an auto get IS. GL dude
Old 01-27-11, 02:41 PM
00LexusGS3
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoAlias
i like this, very true. , im in a similar situation as well... but i still love my IS
same here i love both cars
Old 01-27-11, 02:44 PM
00LexusGS3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by relaxfoo
I had a 350z before selling it to get an IS250. In terms of power I really miss the 350z, it was really fun to drive compared to my IS250. Then again you are considering an IS 350 so that doesn't apply to you. Also if you were a MT man you will always be a MT man, yo will regret selling out to an AUTO. Auto is really boring, yes IS350 comes with shifters but they are just rev limiters - not the same at all (someone correct me if I'm wrong.) This is one of the main reason I chose the is250 bc of the MT factor. I rather drive a slower car with MT than a faster car with auto, unless it's a GTR I'll make an exception for that. Then there is an issue of space, there is absolutely no space in the Z which is good and bad. You can't fit more than two bags of luggage but then again you have an excuse not to drive people around. Personally I do enjoy the back seat of an IS, it is very useful. However the back seats doesn't fold down which I think is stupid. Overall you are choosing a real sports car (350z) vs a sports sedan (isx50). You might also want to consider that if you get a 350z you will be getting a car design that is dated, I mean it still looks nice but the 370z looks a lot better. For me I think I should have just kept the 350z and modded it heavily, but I do enjoy the luxuries of a lexus.

Ps: I almost died twice in my 350z that's how much fun it will be...and I had 10 points on my license during the 3 years I owned it.
that sounds like so much fun, i mean i can settle for a auto but i will always wonder how the Z was, or if i settle for the Z, i will always wonder about the IS...

I have a buddy who has a 2007 350Z with only 20k...i might go take a look at it and test drive..(if u guys wanna see it then go to sweetcars.com and click on inventory and its a red 07 Z)...

I also saw a 07 IS350 with only 18k last night...I seriously put that into mind but then again the Z is still buggin me...ur experiences really want me to get a Z but then again my dad would never lemme drive again..lol

Also what year and how many miles did u put on the Z? were their any problems?
Old 01-27-11, 02:46 PM
00LexusGS3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by pratik_10
since your thinking about the long run and you love the is already i say go for the is. go for the 350. this car turns a lot of heads i have had it ever since i got my license and trust me you can get just as many girls with this car as you could with the Z. plus the 350 is low on maintenance. for me it basically feels like a two door car because no one can sit behind me because of the lack of space after the seat is adjusted
i dont doubt about getting girls, i told some that i will be gettin one of these cars and they were like ur def takin me for a ride...lol cant wait man
Old 01-27-11, 02:54 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the Lexus, its classier and cleaner then the out dated body style of the 350...

My Bro has a red 350Z and wishes he had something bigger all the time.

The IS350 Will perform, and the manual transmission isn't all that great after owning one for 10 years... Personally auto with the flippers are just as good IMO plus If you really want to show off you can do it with those flippers and most people will be like WOAH..

So yes get the IS350 cause honestly i'd rather be seen driving my girl/friends around with a LEXUS then a NISSAN. just my 2cents.
Old 01-27-11, 03:20 PM
texas02118
Driver

I would've loved to be in college and drive a Lexus IS350. That's all I can say...
Old 01-27-11, 03:39 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
not necessarily true
Absolutely not necessarily true. I've never owned so many impractical sports cars as I do now that I'm an old man.
Old 01-27-11, 03:48 PM
KangstaxD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2IS350DT
In that case, it all depends on whether you want performance or a combination of luxury and performance. The 350Z is faster, but not by a lot. If you do not plan on doing a lot of performance mods, then get the IS!
I don't think the Z is faster than the is350. I have done plenty of race and not from statistics on websites, I can tell you that the is350 will edge the HR. Most of the time it was drivers race. If you are single, don't be thinking that you will be picking up chicks with nice cars. If you do, she will use you. When I go on dates, I always drive my sentra. If the girl digs me for who I am and not what for what I drive, than after a couple of dates later, thats when the Lexus is350 comes in =). Just my 0.2 cents! I really like the 350z but you don't see is350 around. In PA, I think there are only 2 IS350s.

Last edited by KangstaxD; 01-27-11 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-27-11, 03:59 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Get the is350. the novelty of a 350z will fade as soon as you start realizing how impractical it is. i couldnt even fit 2 sets of golf clubs in my s2k when i owned it, so even though it would be a nice sunny day for golf, we would have to take our rx400h and the convertible would sit in the garage cuz we couldn't fit the clubs in it. I ended up trading in the s2k after less than 3 years for an a4 convertible, mainly cuz there were back seats!
Old 01-27-11, 04:28 PM
DreamerzCC
Pole Position

My brother had the same dilemma and bought a 350Z.....3 months later he sold it and bought an IS because the Z wasn't practical enough. He is having more fun with his IS. Good Luck figuring this out. I would not be able to decide myself.

Quick Reply: What would you do?