IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY - Bluetooth Music Streaming using A2DP

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-12, 06:28 AM
ydnandy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr2KiEu
ydnandy, did your IS come equipped with bluetooth?

does anyone know if the BBMG works for phone calls on IS not equipped with bluetooth?
I have a 2008, so BT only for the phone and not for music streaming.

The BBMG should work for phone calls if your car doesn't have BT stock. Without BT stock, you would just be reliant on the phones mic to your voice during your phone call. Audio from the other party should still play through your car speakers, but the other person may have problems hearing you unless your cell is sitting in your lap or nearby.
Old 11-19-12, 11:39 PM
Mr2KiEu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ydnandy
I have a 2008, so BT only for the phone and not for music streaming.

The BBMG should work for phone calls if your car doesn't have BT stock. Without BT stock, you would just be reliant on the phones mic to your voice during your phone call. Audio from the other party should still play through your car speakers, but the other person may have problems hearing you unless your cell is sitting in your lap or nearby.
Thanks for the feedback ydnandy!

I recieved my package today. can't wait to hook it up tomorrow!
Old 11-25-12, 07:12 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Surprised nobody's mentioned it yet; anyone using the Monoprice A2DP adapter?

Usuallly goes for <$20, i've been using mine successfully for the past 6 months on my LS.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Old 11-28-12, 07:30 PM
Nikon
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

^ how's the quality of that unit? music quality sound good?
Old 12-01-12, 04:01 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon
^ how's the quality of that unit? music quality sound good?
sound quality is perfect but make sure your cigarette lighter is properly grounded and your USB-Cig Lighter adapter isn't a $0.01 win off ebay, you'll get feedback loops otherwise
Old 04-14-13, 12:46 PM
switters
Driver School Candidate

Default Does Grom Audo solve this problem with better quality?

I recently had a loaner and really enjoyed the high quality music from the BT streaming on my phone. I have been researching this and similar threads and came across several options for BT streaming (I was not interested in the AUX options because the sound quality is not as high).

The first was the Vice Mediabridge, but I could not find any responses that verified if it worked.

After a lot of thread searching I found the Grom Audio that connects directly to the back of the head unit. Has anyone used this with the BT dongle? Due to the fact that it is directly connected it seems like it would have better quality.
Old 04-16-13, 09:30 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by switters
I recently had a loaner and really enjoyed the high quality music from the BT streaming on my phone. I have been researching this and similar threads and came across several options for BT streaming (I was not interested in the AUX options because the sound quality is not as high).

The first was the Vice Mediabridge, but I could not find any responses that verified if it worked.

After a lot of thread searching I found the Grom Audio that connects directly to the back of the head unit. Has anyone used this with the BT dongle? Due to the fact that it is directly connected it seems like it would have better quality.

uh...the AUX is directly connected too. There's nothing wrong with its quality if you have a good source.

It'll be better than BT in fact. BT music is compressed by the very nature of the technology.

Where people go wrong with the AUX jack is plugging their headphone port on their iphone into the AUX jack, instead of using a cleaner line-level signal from the dock connector.
Old 04-19-13, 03:11 PM
datdat
Driver School Candidate

So I've been using a BT adapter (made by Belkin) that plugs into the aux port. It works great and I'm able to play music from my iphone5 including Spotify and Pandora. This option is really convenient since it's connecting via BT so all the cords are hidden in the armrest. The music quality is average at best since it's connecting to the 3.5 mm jack via BT.

So I decided to try this 3.5 mm Audio Line Out to 30 pin cable from Amazon. It's only $8 but you will need to spend extra if you have an iphone5 to get the lightning adapter. This route is not a convenient but the music sounds so much better. A lot better!! So if you don't mind connecting with a cable, this route will generate better sound quality.

Amazon.com: 3.5mm Audio Line Out + 30pin Usb Dock Cable for Iphone Ipod: MP3 Players & Accessories Amazon.com: 3.5mm Audio Line Out + 30pin Usb Dock Cable for Iphone Ipod: MP3 Players & Accessories
Old 05-02-13, 10:55 AM
myculito
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
sound quality is perfect but make sure your cigarette lighter is properly grounded and your USB-Cig Lighter adapter isn't a $0.01 win off ebay, you'll get feedback loops otherwise
I bought the Blackberry Music Gateway from Rakuten ($30 on sale the other day,) and have it powered off of a Griffin 1.8A Micro USB adapter.

Makes an assload of road noise, and it's driving me ape****. PureDrifter, could it be that my center console cig lighter is not properly grounded?
Old 05-18-13, 09:41 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Interesting. You sure the BBMG on the boat isn't connected directly to the battery and therefore is always on standby for your ipad?

I have ordered the new BBMG. Let us see how it works with my car and my phone.
Originally Posted by chikoo
I have an iphone4, ipad1 as well as Android, and a Windows Mango 7.5
I will see how each one of them work with the new BBMG.
Originally Posted by J3ffrey
thanks, please report back.

I just want to get in my car, pick up my phone and press play.No messing with connections.
Sorry for the late report on my BB music gateway, but it is well worth it.

1. It works
2. It made a lot of whine, in tune with the blinking blue light.
3. I already had the Lexus fix on the Aux port.
4. I added on my own fix to eliminate the whine.
5. It connects automatically to my Windows8 phone whenever my cars starts up.

Attached pictures will tell you the complete story. Enjoy!!
Attached Thumbnails DIY - Bluetooth Music Streaming using A2DP-wp_20130518_001.jpg   DIY - Bluetooth Music Streaming using A2DP-wp_20130518_003.jpg   DIY - Bluetooth Music Streaming using A2DP-wp_20130518_004.jpg  
Old 07-27-13, 06:48 PM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

does anyone know if this model autoconnects?
Old 08-28-13, 03:33 PM
CEOvipGS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FreshIS250
does anyone know if this model autoconnects?
once the music gateway turns on and is paired with a phone it autoconnects.

I just bought one yesterday and installed it. works wonders. on the Iphone5 and some android phones it can support multiple BT profiles which allows one for music only and the other for phone BT which would be connected to the factory navi unit if supported.
Old 08-28-13, 03:42 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

I've used this and it works perfectly for me.

Amazon.com: Xtreme 51901 Bluetooth Wireless Music Receiver - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Xtreme 51901 Bluetooth Wireless Music Receiver - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

The device turn off by itself when it's no longer paired. It auto connect when you turn on the device. The built in battery last a long time as well.
Old 08-29-13, 11:35 AM
PumaFiveOh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting thread. So I looked this unit up and it's no longer being sold as this thread is a few years old.

Anybody know if there is a better unit out on the market now, or are most people just purchasing the BB Music Gateway II? And if so, does the new version also just get power from a micro USB?

Old 10-11-13, 04:46 PM
greg0226
Driver School Candidate

Been really excited to get this working in my 2008 IS250, but am having a problem when I try to incorporate the ground loop isolator. If I use the BBMG without the isolator it works fine for the most part other than having all of the noise, so I bought the PAC 3.5mm Ground Loop Isolator.

However, when I try hooking up the Ground Loop Isolator, the BBMG device never turns on even though it has power. The LED light never lights up, but as soon as I take the loop isolator, the device LED lights up and can be used.

Has anyone had a similar problem or am I doing something incorrect with the ground loop isolator? I would really like to get this working.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: DIY - Bluetooth Music Streaming using A2DP