IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY - Bluetooth Music Streaming using A2DP

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-11, 09:56 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the exact setup that I have in my car that I mentioned awhile ago. The sound quality is REALLY good, as in you cant tell the different between a CD and this a2dp setup. The other plus is if you leave the puck on then it will turn off/on with the car and auto connect. I had the ground loop issue but I got the TSB done which got rid of it completely. The only thing different in my setup is that I used a "Scosche Dual USB Car Charger" which i picked up from amazon that required that I used a right angle usb plug so it wouldnt rub. Gotta love using blackberry branded items on your iphone!
Old 01-24-11, 09:57 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISSteve
The sound quality is not (it cannot be) better than going directly to the aux port.
The sound quality IS better than AUX with my iphone 4. It's also alot louder too, where I can keep the volume around 25-30 and it will be loud enough. The puck basically acts like a line out, but it will definitely sound like trash if you're having ground loop issues.

Last edited by OPTiK; 01-24-11 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-25-11, 12:48 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Then I suggest you find the correct forum for your Lexus, since all 2ISes have one...Your sig says GS, I'm sure those guys have vehicle-relevant ipod solutions by now.
Is 2IS a model-centric forum? Thanks a lot.
Old 01-25-11, 12:51 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by memasterac
What if my Lexus does not have a factory OEM 3.5mm stereo jack auxiliary port? SOL? Any suggestion?
You sure you dont have 3.5mm jack in your arm-rest? my friends 2008 gs has it in the arm-rest
Old 01-25-11, 05:48 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Is 2IS a model-centric forum? Thanks a lot.
Yes, actually... see the "Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Second Generation " thing up at the top there?

The section specific to an 07 GS would be here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...eneration-153/

Here's a specific thread from there that might be helpful to you, it's one of many that discusses alternatives to the lack of AUX in an 07 GS:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...007-gs350.html

Originally Posted by OPTiK
The sound quality IS better than AUX with my iphone 4. It's also alot louder too, where I can keep the volume around 25-30 and it will be loud enough. The puck basically acts like a line out, but it will definitely sound like trash if you're having ground loop issues.
That's why he said it can not sound better than using AUX.

Assuming you're using a DOCK to AUX connection that is a line out.

I could see how you might think A2DP sounds better if you were using the headphone jack on the iphone though... but using the DOCK will be the "best" possible sound from an ipod and it would be impossible to get "better" sound out of bluetooth unless there was something wrong with your hardware.

Last edited by Kurtz; 01-25-11 at 05:52 AM.
Old 01-25-11, 07:25 AM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz

That's why he said it can not sound better than using AUX.

Assuming you're using a DOCK to AUX connection that is a line out.

I could see how you might think A2DP sounds better if you were using the headphone jack on the iphone though... but using the DOCK will be the "best" possible sound from an ipod and it would be impossible to get "better" sound out of bluetooth unless there was something wrong with your hardware.
Yeah, I meant in relation to the headphone jack, not the dock line out.
Old 01-25-11, 08:55 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats this ground loop issue every1 is talking about...i dont think ive noticed anything. can you elaborate on that plz
Old 01-25-11, 09:10 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexus-is2
You sure you dont have 3.5mm jack in your arm-rest? my friends 2008 gs has it in the arm-rest
2006-07 GS do not have a 3.5mm aux jack. Stupid design I say. That's why I tried to find help from the most populated 2IS forum for the bluetooth music streaming...

My GS does come with a cassette player. I guess I can use a cassette adapter plug into a 3.5mm female-to-female as an alternative to the 3.5mm aux input.
Old 01-25-11, 09:30 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

2006-07 GS do not have a 3.5mm aux jack. Stupid design I say. That's why I tried to find help from the most populated 2IS forum for the bluetooth music streaming...

My GS does come with a cassette player. I guess I can use a cassette adapter plug into a 3.5mm female-to-female as an alternative to the 3.5mm aux input.
that's likely the cheapest option... quality will be meh.

You can also just use an FM transmitter, again quality will be meh, depending how crowded the FM channels are in your area.

Best quality will be to add an input to your head unit (most likely the cleanest way, though not a $20 solution, and one that'll require opening the dash a bit) would be the one in the link I provided... adding an ipod interface to the car.... (either the Lexus branded one or one from VAIStech depending on your budget and needs)

Originally Posted by MashinA
whats this ground loop issue every1 is talking about...i dont think ive noticed anything. can you elaborate on that plz
It will only happen if the source (iphone/ipod/Bluetooth aux device/etc) is powered by the car while also being plugged into the AUX jack... it's basically a hum/whine type noise
Old 01-25-11, 10:16 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Ohh yea I've experienced that... so since with this set up the blackberry device will constantly be charging this problem will occur?
Old 01-25-11, 11:03 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MashinA
Ohh yea I've experienced that... so since with this set up the blackberry device will constantly be charging this problem will occur?
Yeah, but if you're still under warranty there's a TSIB that fixes the AUX ground loop for free.
Old 01-25-11, 11:15 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

well im not under warranty anymore :/
can you link me to this tsib so i can see whats involved in this. thanks
Old 01-25-11, 12:01 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-released.html

it's attached in the first post there... pretty much opening up the console to install an in-line filter
Old 01-25-11, 12:24 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

thanks, much appreciated
Old 01-25-11, 01:51 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the TSIB apply to 2008+? I remember hearing the hum when I first bought my car but I changed out the AUX cable with another. Now I don't have that issue anymore.

Quick Reply: DIY - Bluetooth Music Streaming using A2DP