IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What's your experience for service done at non-purchasing dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-11, 06:12 PM
freeflight
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's your experience for service done at non-purchasing dealer?

Hi there,

I bought my Lexus at a dealer that is 50 miles away. They offered me a price I can't pass, and my local dealer wasn't willing to match.

Now it comes to service the car. Longo Lexus is only a few miles away, I am thinking about taking it there instead of doing a 100 miles commute. What is your experience for service done at non-purchasing dealers? It is still good money for them I suppose. Did you get a loaner when needed?

Best,
Kevin

Last edited by freeflight; 01-11-11 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-11-11, 06:26 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you'll get a loaner, but they'll prob be rude if it's anything like here in NY
Old 01-11-11, 07:15 PM
Myis350RWD
Driver School Candidate

I bought mine used. I went to two locations in Maryland for recalls, never have big problems/issues. (Maybe its the recalls) Some people will ask you to refill the amount of the gas you got it, some don't.
Old 01-11-11, 07:25 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I've never had a problem when purchasing either a Toyota or a Lexus from another dealer and having the service done from Longo. If you need a loaner, there should be no reason why they won't give you one. It is still included as part of a service they provide. Hope this helps!
Old 01-11-11, 07:48 PM
ltzSupra
Driver

Bought my car at Bay Ridge Lexus in Brooklyn but I took my car to Ray Catena Lexus for service and my first SA was a female dog and denied a tsb that my second SA later granted, which was a really nice guy. Guess it just depends on the person.
Old 01-11-11, 07:52 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i say... buy the SST (oil cap wrench) a jack n stands, breaker bar n torque wrench, a metric socket set and do all the work yourself...
Old 01-11-11, 08:11 PM
grondie
Merkur Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never had any problems, even though we bought our GS from another dealer who beat our local store on price (BIG difference). Personally, I don't think they care were you bought the car; they make plenty of money in the service dept anyway.
Old 01-11-11, 09:48 PM
freeflight
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your inputs. I was a little worried for my friend had a hard time to get a loaner from New Century BMW. He didn't purchase his bmw from them.

What about having oil change done in a Toyota dealer? Lexus and Toyota mechanically share many parts anyways. I don't know how much Lexus oil change cost, but Toyota charge $30 or so for an oil change.
Old 01-12-11, 02:15 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly I don't think the place of purchase of the vehicle would have anything to do with the level of service you would receive at a dealership. There is no written rule that you'll be treated in a hostile manner if you bring your car to a dealership you did not purchase it at. I bought my G35 from a non-Infiniti dealership with the service history in Roseville, and when I bring it to my local dealership in San Jose I have no problems getting a loaner or being treated improperly. Same went for my SC300: purchased at Lexus of Serramonte, serviced at Lexus of Sacramento. And the same will be for the IS350: purchased at Longo, serviced at Stevens Creek (or Coliseum, or wherever I feel like it). I really have no clue why people would make assumptions they'd get terrible/rude/incompetent service just because they don't have that certain dealership's plate frame. What kind of assumption would you base this off of? A single dealership makes its profits most from the service field, and it would not be worth it to them if they mistreat a customer solely because they're advertising the name of a different dealership. If you're that ****, then you might as well find an independent technician because they don't discriminate. Hell, perform your own undercover study and report back to us with the results.

Your friend's difficulty in obtaining a loaner has absolutely nothing to do with the place of purchase. New Century BMW could have been low on loaners, or your friend failed to reserve a loaner ahead of time, or it could have been a simple oil change as some dealerships do not offer loaners for a quick job like that.

And yes, you can have the oil change performed at the Toyota dealer, but it would only save you $10-20. I've been to both dealerships at the Longo and honestly, just shell out the extra money. The cozy waiting area, free refreshments, and extra professionalism of the staff is worth it.
Old 01-12-11, 05:12 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

I bought my 350 used at a non-lexus dealership and I have had no problems with the service department at all. Always very nice and professional, granted I've only had one or two things done there but so far so good. The point of purchase should not matter.
Old 01-12-11, 05:58 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

I bought my CPO at JM Lexus in Ft Lauderdale and I live in Orlando. It's about 3 hr drive. So it take my car to Lexus of Orlando and they're customer service is pretty great. They're very nice and helpful.
Old 01-12-11, 02:06 PM
twenty
Pole Position

I bought my car in the US (I live in Canada). Whenever I go to the local Lexus dealer, I almost feel bad for not purchasing the vehicle from them, considering how well they treat me. My next Lexus vehicle will most definitely be from the local dealer (Woodhaven Lexus), superb service!
Old 01-12-11, 02:58 PM
Stun350
Rookie

Northpark Lexus here in San Antonio doesn't care. I didn't buy from them and found my car at an Infinity dealership and they've still taken care of me every time. John Barecky who is the service advisor is one cool dude.
Old 01-12-11, 04:47 PM
funglenn
Lead Lap

I have used Kuni Lexus in Colorado Springs, loaner and no problems--even if out of warranty. The toyota dealers in town are just as nice, but no loaner--but much cheaper for lexus service, which they can easily do. I don't mind taking the shuttle to save 100 dollars.
Old 01-12-11, 07:06 PM
DSheeezy
Rookie

i got mine at cerritos and got it serviced at longo. no problem with it. they just got down contact info and that was basically it. longo is nice though. they have a glass wall between you and their garage. you get to see everything!

Quick Reply: What's your experience for service done at non-purchasing dealer?