IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Late xmas present from the GF (hids & fogs)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-11, 04:43 PM
rc2o6
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking a present from the GF (hids & fogs)

Hey everyone,

Looks like my girlfriend will be getting me a late present for xmas/early present for my birthday which is at the end of the month.

I'm looking at an hid conversion kit, yellow fogs and brighter parking lights (i think these are the ones that are always on while the low beam are on). I was looking at xenondepot (http://www.kbcarstuff.com/ShoppingCart.asp) for all the products so its an easy one stop shop.

I always drive with my low beams/fogs on and barely ever use the high beam/city lights so i dont think i'll be replacing those...but i just might. Which high beam/city light bulb would be recommended...? This is what i have in the cart so far and will probably be getting it unless anyone would advise differently...

ITEM DESCRIPTION TOTAL
9006 Putco Jet Yellow Halogen Bulbs $25.99 (fog lights)
H11 4300k Xtreme Xenon HID Conversion Kit $199.99 (low beam hids)
194 High Power Automotive LED Bulb - White $31.99 (parking lights ??)

(Discount-ClubLexus SUPER SALE!! [XT-4k-H11]-$25.00) (discount)

I already have all the interior/puddle leds from vled.com which are great btw.

I'm pretty excited about this and can't wait to put them on. Btw, i have a glacier frost mica 2008 is250 awd without the oem hid's. I'm looking for the best light output so i'd figure sticking with 4300k hids will be my best bet. Thanks for reading

Last edited by rc2o6; 01-14-11 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-04-11, 04:52 PM
SILVRLININ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post some pics once everything is installed.

Happy birthday!
Old 01-04-11, 05:19 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Parking lights are the same thing as city lights. They are the tiny bulbs in the same housing as your high beams/DRLs, in the upper corner.

Perhaps when you said "high beam/city lights" you meant "high beam/DRLs?" If that's the case, it depends what you want to do. If you hate the amber DRL color, either have the dealer disable DRL function, or get an LED DRL kit. If you don't mind the color, they're not worth changing. But you also said you always run with your lows and fogs on so that 9005 (high beam/DRL) would almost never be on anyway, right?

$32 is insane for just parking/city lights. Get these: http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/C...85865-1-2.html It will match your 4300K lows better anyway.

And yes, 4300K will give you the most usable light, but it will be a little yellow (like the OEM HIDs, which are 4100K in color).

Last edited by brociouz; 01-04-11 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-04-11, 07:56 PM
Rudebwoy30
Driver

Doesn't these cars come with hids ?
Old 01-04-11, 07:56 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

nice gf, congrats on the new parts. ive actually been thinkin about changin my fogs to 3000k, i hav 6000k fogs now.
Old 01-04-11, 08:24 PM
Alias
Lexus Champion

Congrats on the present, your gf is awesome. Personally i would go with at least a 6K HID since your going aftermarket already. It'll be much brighter and different from stock.
Old 01-04-11, 08:41 PM
ximd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rudebwoy30
nope. not every. it should have been a standard option on all lexus cars though.
Old 01-04-11, 08:42 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Originally Posted by Rudebwoy30
Most do, but there are plenty of ISx50s with regular halogen headlights.

Originally Posted by NoAlias
Congrats on the present, your gf is awesome. Personally i would go with at least a 6K HID since your going aftermarket already. It'll be much brighter and different from stock.
6000K HID would probably be brighter than his current halogen setup, but 4300K HID will be even brighter. I think 5000K would be a good compromise if the OP is into the white (no yellow) look.
Old 01-04-11, 08:44 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

OP, get your HID kit from DDMtuning. Way cheaper.
Old 01-04-11, 08:45 PM
Alias
Lexus Champion

Very true, any which way it'll be better than halogen.
Old 01-04-11, 10:13 PM
rc2o6
Driver

I wish my is250 came with the oem hids but it didn't (appears to be a base model with individual accessories added on).

I've looked into the ddmtuning hids and other various brands (prices varying from $75-$200), a close friend of mine also gets/sells hid kits for like $100 (maybe less, its been awhile) that i've used on my previous vehicles but not sure about the quality of them since it'll be going into my Lexus. We'll see what happens, but i was considering xenondepot's hid kits since they have great reviews and is a local vendor so i wanted to show some support, but i'll reconsider my options...

Brocious, i'll probably get those leds (that you mentioned above) for my parking/city lights (the small ones in the corner of the casing) as well as the trunk led since they were out last month when i ordered the interior leds.

I'm pretty set on getting the 4300k hid kit (from which vendor, i have yet to decide) since it offers much higher quality and effective usable lighting over my oem halogen bulbs. The current color of the fog lights are fine but i'd like to get the 3000k yellow halogen bulbs since i'm getting hids (and i like the look of the jdm yellow fogs). The parking/city drl's will be replaced with the ones brocious recommended (http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/C...85865-1-2.html) or the one posted on his "led replacement guide" thread (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...de-w-pics.html).

Still in question, should i replace the highbeam bulbs with halogen performance bulbs like the fog lights i intend to get...? I barely, if ever, use the high beam but would still like to replace them with better ones just to match everything else...might as well right?

I'm also a little skeptical on the drilling of the headlight dust cap to allow the wiring through from the xtreme hid kit offered by xenondepot. I've installed plenty of hid kits on previous cars and have never had to drill a hole for the wiring....im sure its fairly straight forward and easy but still...

Any and all comments/advise/recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks

p.s. Thanks Brocious and everyone else for all the input thus far

Last edited by rc2o6; 01-04-11 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-04-11, 10:40 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

drilling a hole is no problem. just use some silicone to waterproof it a bit more.
Old 01-05-11, 09:41 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Originally Posted by rc2o6
Brocious, i'll probably get those leds (that you mentioned above) for my parking/city lights (the small ones in the corner of the casing) as well as the trunk led since they were out last month when i ordered the interior leds.
Just to confirm, the LED parking/city light replacement I linked to will NOT work in your trunk (different connector). In your case, I recommend this: http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/C...00874-1-3.html.

The parking/city drl's will be replaced with the ones brocious recommended (http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/C...85865-1-2.html) or the one posted on his "led replacement guide" thread (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...de-w-pics.html).
Keep in mind that the LED parking/city light replacement I listed in my LED guide won't be your best option because I picked it to match 6000K low beams. You should use the one I linked to earlier because it is 5000K in color and a little less brighter so that it'll blend with 4300K better.

Still in question, should i replace the highbeam bulbs with halogen performance bulbs like the fog lights i intend to get...? I barely, if ever, use the high beam but would still like to replace them with better ones just to match everything else...might as well right?
I don't think you should bother, especially if you're trying to get the best bang for your buck. You likely won't get a good color match with ANY aftermarket halogen bulb available. You might be able to get the color closer to 4300K, but the differences in projector vs. reflector housings and HID vs. halogen technology will prevent you from getting a match. Plus, like you said, they're almost never used anyway. If you use your high beams a lot, for say driving on rural backroads with no street, you might consider upgrading to Silverstar Ultras.

I'm also a little skeptical on the drilling of the headlight dust cap to allow the wiring through from the xtreme hid kit offered by xenondepot. I've installed plenty of hid kits on previous cars and have never had to drill a hole for the wiring....im sure its fairly straight forward and easy but still...
It's not as scary as it sounds.

p.s. Thanks Brocious and everyone else for all the input thus far
You're welcome!
Old 01-05-11, 09:44 AM
HS2G
Driver School Candidate

You can get slim ballast HID kits and stuff them into the headlight housing. A few members on here have gone that route.
Old 01-05-11, 12:52 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

The ddm ones are fine for quality. they come with a lifetime warranty. If you're going to do your fogs too though (which is pretty common among this lot), I would encourage you to go for the relay harness too.

Good luck with the install and put up some pics when you get it sorted out!!!

Quick Reply: Late xmas present from the GF (hids & fogs)