IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

noise from the driver side:(

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-10, 08:53 PM
rule1223
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise from the driver side:(

i noticed today there was noise from the drive side window/door area im not sure where the noise came from, but it happens when i drive on uneven road and it drive me crazy, does anyone else experience this problem too? or just me?
Old 12-21-10, 09:33 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did u remove everything in the door pocket? Perhaps there something in there that rattles.

Also, is it a consistent noise?does it occur at certain speed? or over bumps?

My wides Acura has this strange rattle only at 30 mph or above. We later found out that it was caused by loose weather strip picking from wind and slapping back on glass.
Old 12-21-10, 10:42 PM
SB350
Instructor

I had a squeaky noise that drove me crazy for a few months. I thought it was coming from the door but pinpointed it to the instrument cluster behind the steering wheel.
Old 12-22-10, 02:13 AM
Snubbles
Lexus Test Driver

I have the same problem, i have no idea where its coming from but its around the driver side also. Any recommendations? Will the stealership fix it for free if its under warranty?
Old 12-22-10, 06:43 AM
rizzy
Pole Position

I feel your pain. I have the rattle you speak of, as well as a rattling passenger door pocket rattle, and a glovebox rattle. I have to turn the music higher than normal to mask the rattles. If I, or the dealership, can't figure them out then I plan on selling the car because it is ridiculous.
Old 12-22-10, 08:54 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the driver's seat all the way down raise it a bit. If it goes away tighten the seat track bolts.

Take everything out the glove box,...including the shelf and cover for the cabin air filter,...see if the noise rattle goes away. If the noise goes away, put in one item at a time,...that cabin air filter cover only goes in one way correctly.
Old 12-22-10, 11:15 AM
Grant223
Driver School Candidate

From what Ive read, it's pretty normal and often when they fix noises like these, other ones pop up. I'd leave it alone if its not a simple fix or if it is livable.
Old 01-04-11, 01:20 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I used to be a rattle non-believer....

I have this--it sounds like it's coming from the B-pillar, right next to my ear. Or maybe one of the door panels. I also am getting a rattling from the sunroof piece that pops up in the REAR of the sunroof opening when the SR is in tilt.

My warranty is up in May, and I need to give it a shot to have the dealer remedy these. Drives me crazy.

After 7 years, my Acura that I traded for this car was solid as a rock.
Old 01-04-11, 01:47 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Snubbles
I have the same problem, i have no idea where its coming from but its around the driver side also. Any recommendations? Will the stealership fix it for free if its under warranty?
If you still have the 4 yr bumper-to-bumper, then it should be covered under the warranty. If you can reproduce the issue, then point it to the dealer where the noise comes from. Sometime, you need to have the advisor sit in the car with you to point out the issue.

If they say the car has been tested within specs, ask them to sit with you on one of the cars on the lot for a ride.

Make sure you empty the glovebox and the door pocket or other things lying around. The dealer will use that as an excuse for the rattle.

So far, my car has been rattle free. *knocks on wood*

If you have taken apart interior panels, note that the alignment of the pieces may be off a little or loose.
Old 01-04-11, 02:23 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a slight rattle that is coming from the trim piece that surrounds the buttons to the left of the steering wheel. I haven't had time to take it apart yet, but am hoping some electrical tape will solve it.

Old 01-04-11, 02:24 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

As much as I like my IS350 the various rattles and creaks drives me crazy. Lexus needs to do a better job on this kinda stuff. I am sure some of it is due to tight tolerances and fit and finish...particularly when the weather changes and things expand and contract..but enough!
Old 01-04-11, 03:04 PM
DryEye
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same exact problem when driving on uneven roads and my car I just bought my car in the first week of December 2010. It's a 2011 Lexus IS350. That noise was driving me crazy but I just learned to ignore it or I just turn up the stereo LMAO I thought it was because I have the sport suspension= slightly stiffer ride
Old 01-04-11, 03:09 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I also get a squeaking noise from outside the car when going over uneven roads. I think I need to regrease my sway bar bushings or something.
Old 01-04-11, 04:13 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sjgIS350
As much as I like my IS350 the various rattles and creaks drives me crazy. Lexus needs to do a better job on this kinda stuff. I am sure some of it is due to tight tolerances and fit and finish...particularly when the weather changes and things expand and contract..but enough!
When I read all these complaints when I first got my car, I just thought it was Lexus owners having high expectations. But after 3.5 years, I can attest--it is not BS. Many more rattles and squeaks than my 7 year old Honda Pilot!
Old 01-04-11, 06:25 PM
nyis250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brociouz
I have a slight rattle that is coming from the trim piece that surrounds the buttons to the left of the steering wheel. I haven't had time to take it apart yet, but am hoping some electrical tape will solve it.

Sorry to stray off topic, but does anyone know how to remove this panel so an accessory button can be installed?

Quick Reply: noise from the driver side:(