IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Key Unlocks/locks Door But Won't Start Car! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-10, 06:07 PM
andyroo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RTIS250
Does the green light (on the start/stop button) come on when you press the brake pedal? Have you tried putting the key fob right up against the start stop switch when trying to start the car? You can also try cycling the metal key in the door cylinder, with the door closed, to make sure the security system isnt activated.
the green light on the start/stop button doesn't come on when i press the brake pedal. yeah tried putting it right up against it and starting the car, also tried cycling the metal key in the door cylinder.

the led light for the start/stop button doesn't turn on and also there is no "key not detected" sign either. my dashboard is completely shut off except for the door open/close icon.
Old 12-19-10, 06:16 PM
98023IS250
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

last resort. Disconnect battery and reset. Yes, do you a new battery???? But I highly doubt both batteries would die at the same moment. Try disconnecting the battery, let is sit for 5 mins, then connect back....
Old 12-19-10, 06:38 PM
penone
Driver

Have you investigated for evidence of rodent's nesting in your car? I recall reading somewhere that the critters tend to chew on wires and cause all types of havoc. If that is the case then you have another issue - not covered under warranty. Good luck!
Old 12-19-10, 07:00 PM
andyroo
Driver

Originally Posted by 98023IS250
last resort. Disconnect battery and reset. Yes, do you a new battery???? But I highly doubt both batteries would die at the same moment. Try disconnecting the battery, let is sit for 5 mins, then connect back....
tried this, did not work

and i highly doubt it's rodents, hope i didn't jinx myself.

aghhh, i guess it's come down to towing my car to my local lexus dealership tomorrow, and of course this has to happen before all the winter traveling i need to do during christmas break. sadness.....

Old 12-19-10, 07:07 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

when did you last change the car battery? battery charger/starter or jumper cable start?
Old 12-19-10, 07:50 PM
Akatsuki
Lead Lap

make sure you disconnect both the positive and negative terminals if you haven'td done so already.
Old 12-19-10, 08:40 PM
andyroo
Driver

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
when did you last change the car battery? battery charger/starter or jumper cable start?
it's been about half a year now since i last changed the car battery. tried cable jumping but it does absolutely nothing. the small yellow led for the start/stop button doesn't even turn on =(
Old 12-19-10, 09:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

If you don't press the brake pedal to start, does the key cycle through the ACC and IGN settings or does it do nothing at all?

Here's a short list of things to check:

1. AM2 Fuse - In the fuse box on the right hand side of the engine bay.
2. IG2 relay - in the relay box on the driver's side near the ECM (See this post).

Other than these two things, you'll need a pretty solid understanding of electronic systems and more importantly, you'll need the Techstream software/connectors to be able to troubleshoot your issues. If you don't have the skills/devices you're best off towing to the dealer for repair.

We've not seen this before, this sounds like a one-off problem.

If I were guessing, I'd say your IG2 relay is bad, but without looking at the car myself, it's just a guess.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 12-19-10 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-19-10, 10:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

See the thread in the 2IS section. It's very unlikely the key is the issue.
Old 12-19-10, 11:00 PM
andyroo
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
If you don't press the brake pedal to start, does the key cycle through the ACC and IGN settings or does it do nothing at all?

Here's a short list of things to check:

1. AM2 Fuse - In the fuse box on the right hand side of the engine bay.
2. IG2 relay - in the relay box on the driver's side near the ECM (See this post).

Other than these two things, you'll need a pretty solid understanding of electronic systems and more importantly, you'll need the Techstream software/connectors to be able to troubleshoot your issues. If you don't have the skills/devices you're best off towing to the dealer for repair.

We've not seen this before, this sounds like a one-off problem.

If I were guessing, I'd say your IG2 relay is bad, but without looking at the car myself, it's just a guess.
nope the key doesn't cycle through the ACC or IGN settings, it's just completely shut off.

yeah, still couldn't solve the problem and i've been at it all day. i think i'm just going to have to tow it early tomorrow morning to the dealership. thanks for the help everybody.
Old 12-21-10, 11:25 AM
penone
Driver

So did the dealer give an idea as to what the issue was?
Old 04-28-11, 02:03 PM
austinul
Driver School Candidate

Default My is250 is doing the same thing

My is250 is doing the same thing. Do you know what the dealer said the problem was?
Old 06-02-11, 03:32 PM
Kendawg
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car won't start

I'm having a similar problem. My key fob wasn't detected. I cycled the start button a few times, locked and unlocked the doors and the car was finally able to start. After getting home, I shut the car of to see if the key fob would work and BLAM! No interior lights, no dash lights, and no start.

I tried disconnecting the battery, resetting the ecu, changed the batteries in the key fobs, but nothing.

Did anyone diagnose this problem?
Old 06-06-11, 02:59 PM
austinul
Driver School Candidate

Car has not had the problem since. The dealer could not duplicate the problem to solve it. They said it may have to do with the start button or a leak in the sunroof. Was it raining at the time when it would not start?
Old 06-06-11, 05:02 PM
Kendawg
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I raised the white flag and gave up. I had the car towed to the dealer. They did find the problem and it turned out to be a corroded ground. It was the chassis ground I believe underneath the fuse block in the engine compartment. At least it wasn't the ecu or something really expensive.
The following users liked this post:
GrizzlyMan (03-21-21)

Quick Reply: Key Unlocks/locks Door But Won't Start Car! Help!