IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

AirBag light ON *with resolution**TSB*

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-15, 09:21 AM
Nfermin101
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuspaaji
could someone explain how to take the passenger side panel off and wheres its exactly located. I couldnt for the life of me get it off. Thank you
Hey. I don't know if you already took the passenger panel off its easy you just have to pray it open. You will see the conector for the knee air bag just right under the glove box mine was not even connected
Old 05-19-15, 12:18 PM
nyclexus11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lancematic
FYI, if you have electrical knowledge and experience this can be fixed for less than $10. The failure of the wiring harness is at the plug of the airbag, or at lease is was in my case.
How did you do it? Did you buy a new plug? Could you please explain ?
Old 09-18-15, 01:24 PM
willdogg
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks ChumpusRex. After finally getting the nerve to dive in and fix it, I jumped in. Pushed the connector, made sure the wires weren't kinked or pulled, and put the panel back on. After a restart, the airbag light is finally out. It could come back on in the future, but so far, it looks good. Thanks again.

Last edited by willdogg; 09-21-15 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-16-15, 07:32 PM
johuang
Driver School Candidate

Please please anyone with this issue take 10 minutes and file a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Link: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

I was contacted by an engineer from their Office of Defects Investigation today asking about this problem, so they are definitely looking into it.

If there are enough complaints, they may force Lexus to issue a resolution for this defect they know and acknowledged (even issued a TSB on it) but refuse to fix without charging owners thousands of dollars.
Old 01-19-16, 12:26 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have noticed that the driver side knee airbag plus looses contact, I've repaired a few members Lexus cars with unplugging it and plugging it in again with a dap of silicone to make sure it doesn't get disconnected again. Seems to be a problem with the plug itself.
Old 01-19-16, 12:29 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by johuang
Please please anyone with this issue take 10 minutes and file a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

I was contacted by an engineer from their Office of Defects Investigation today asking about this problem, so they are definitely looking into it.

If there are enough complaints, they may force Lexus to issue a resolution for this defect they know and acknowledged (even issued a TSB on it) but refuse to fix without charging owners thousands of dollars.
I just filled it out myself, Lexus needs to know about this as the airbags will not activate during a collision because of this.
Old 05-16-16, 07:22 PM
medeiros76
Driver School Candidate

Almost two years and it came back I pressed it in and it went away hopefully in another two years I'll get a new IS!
Old 07-01-16, 12:35 PM
soilape
Driver School Candidate

Hi every one. I had the same problem with my 08 Lexus GS 450H. First I tried to open all the yellow connectors under the driver´s seat. Then this pretension connector on the B pillar. Nothing happened. Light still on.
Finally I read about knee airbag and how it was solved on different Lexus models. It was hard to pull the plug, but eventually I managed to get it open. I sprayed oil in an put it back. That´s it , light was gone. Thanks a lot for everyone. This saved me also a lot of money.
Old 07-02-16, 08:56 AM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by willdogg
Thanks ChumpusRex. After finally getting the nerve to dive in and fix it, I jumped in. Pushed the connector, made sure the wires weren't kinked or pulled, and put the panel back on. After a restart, the airbag light is finally out. It could come back on in the future, but so far, it looks good. Thanks again.
Me too, Thanks so much "ChumpusRex" i love UK you saved me couple thousand of Dollars !

seems like dealer aware of this but they don't wanna put on recall, i went to a Lexus dealer nearby 1st they told me 150$ for diagnostic, and they said usually the harness broken something like that and it's going to cost around 2000$ cnd$ to fix, i was busy lately with ton of maintenance on the car i havnt noticed since the day i came back my Mom told me it was there when i left for vacation.

Lexus is not a reliable car anymore ? i don't mind about Takata recall but this little thing will actually cause huge personal damage to the driver and their family members, i'm trying Lexus out and this is my 1st Lexus, probably try BMW or Infiniti next,

Air Bag issue is very serious issue ! and dealership and Lexus Corp thinks it's a joke, i'm not f u c k i n g joking i'm gonna write a letter to NSHTA.
Old 07-02-16, 10:47 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by johuang

I just filled this out as well! Lexus needs to take responsibility for this serious defect as It's unsafe and unfair that they want an issue like this paid for out of pocket! Please fill the form out everyone. One complaint goes a long way...
Old 07-29-16, 06:42 PM
punklexus
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the link to order the harness online ?
Old 12-10-16, 03:33 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Sorry to revive an old thread. Airbag light came on for me a couple days ago and I just noticed it now. How does one disconnect the harness from the driver side airbag? Infectious mentioned using a flat head on a yellow tab but I honestly can't seem to find this "tab" - is it the yellow part in the middle or on the side?. Else it wasn't disconnected so I pushed it in even more and the light was still on. Went to the passenger side and made sure that connector was firmly in place and the light is still on. Do actually have to unplug and replug the connectors? Also just making sure - is the plug for the passenger side the connector on the far right - basically beside the side panel and near the floor carpet as referenced in this video(https://youtu.be/zH0dnArvoTg?t=2m46s)?
Old 12-25-16, 03:41 PM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just did this "fix" by pushing on the connector... and it worked on a GS350. Apparently this is a defective part across Lexus models!! The connector indeed is the culprit. Let's see how long this lasts. I'm not sure how difficult replacing this connector would be.
Old 12-26-16, 07:38 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

After going to the Lexus dealership to diagnose my SRS airbag light which was accompanied by the "passenger airbag off" was due to a faulty passenger seat sensor. $1700 CAD for the seat cushion and 3 hours of labor + tax later... basically $2500 out the door. Not sure if I was actually fortunate to have this over the wiring harness fix with like 6 hours of labor.
Old 01-24-17, 04:37 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Well, got the same Airbag light on this morning and of course my 1st stop was CL. Lo and behold, this thread! I love CL!

I will follow the DR side re-seating of the plug and see if I have the same result as most of you. I will however add dielectric grease to help with continuity issues.

I will take pics as I go along to help other members who will eventually see this issue with their IS'. Interesting that Lexus did not want to issue a TSB on this.

Anyway the discoverer of this repair needs a few thank you's!

Quick Reply: AirBag light ON *with resolution**TSB*