IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

AirBag light ON *with resolution**TSB*

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-13, 11:19 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ChumpusRex
This is just an update. I had this problem on my RHD IS250 about a year ago, but interestingly enough it was the same fault (though clearly a different harness).

Dealer said that the car was out of warranty, and as I had bought the car privately they could not consider a goodwill gesture.

I had a look at the problem area; the driver's knee airbag circuit. You could see immediately what the problem was; the branch wire from the main harness to the knee airbag is too short, so there is tension on the branch, and it either pulls the connector off the airbag, or it pulls the wires out of the connector.

On mine, it was a mixture of both. It was a very, very easy fix which took me about 15 minutes, once I had decided to fix it myself. Disconnected the battery for 5 minutes, then I simply released the ties holding up the harness, to put a bit of slack on the branch to the airbag. I then reattached the harness in its new position with some cable ties and sponges (to prevent the cable ties from damaging the wires, and to absorb vibration). I then reinforced the harness branch to the airbag with electricians tape, and use the electricians tape to hold the connector onto the airbag.

Cleared the light immediately, and it's been 12 months, with no recurrence of the problem.

Interestingly, despite the fix being so simple, I couldn't find an auto-electrician willing to touch it. They all said dealer only. Dealer said, full harness replacement only.
Can you post up pics of where and what you did? I would love to get rid of the annoying red airbag light. I'd really appreciate it!
Old 09-04-13, 11:21 AM
Chekmi21
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up biting the bullet and got it fixed. $2550 all in at my local Lexus dealership. Need this badboy to last me another 2 years at least so had to just get it done. They originally quoted me $2700 but I told them to knock it down to $2500 and they said that they'd do $2550.
Old 09-04-13, 11:56 AM
ChumpusRex
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nitrotang
Can you post up pics of where and what you did? I would love to get rid of the annoying red airbag light. I'd really appreciate it!
I've just had a look to see if I can get any pics. Unfortunately, the under-dash covers all have to come off. I'd forgotten just how awkward it was to get in there and get the covers off. The covers were also partly broken before I started - I suspect, but can't prove, that the seller had the light come on, and he'd had it looked at, couldn't fix it, but the light went off long enough for me to buy it.

Being a bit of a ghetto repair, I don't really want to disturb it just for some pictures. Unfortunately, over here the air bag light HAS to work, as it's part of the checks needed to renew your registration. Maybe once I've got next years renewal done, I'll take things apart again.
Old 09-05-13, 08:41 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ChumpusRex
I've just had a look to see if I can get any pics. Unfortunately, the under-dash covers all have to come off. I'd forgotten just how awkward it was to get in there and get the covers off. The covers were also partly broken before I started - I suspect, but can't prove, that the seller had the light come on, and he'd had it looked at, couldn't fix it, but the light went off long enough for me to buy it.

Being a bit of a ghetto repair, I don't really want to disturb it just for some pictures. Unfortunately, over here the air bag light HAS to work, as it's part of the checks needed to renew your registration. Maybe once I've got next years renewal done, I'll take things apart again.
Thanks, I appreciate your response. Would you mind just writing up a short blurb about which wires they were then? I'll see if I can get under there and fix it myself.
Old 09-06-13, 02:10 PM
aznKewlguy
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

your solution could save us members thousands of dollars...

A write up would be sweet and greatly appreciated!
Old 09-06-13, 06:28 PM
one2nite
Rookie

^ yes please
Old 09-15-13, 07:54 PM
iNfectious
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took some pictures while I was under there.The yellow harness is like the one for the steering wheel airbag (if anyone install the steering wheel dampener).

I didn't do much under the dash. I moved the harness around and checked for any loose connection. The harness wasn't strain or tied down like ChumpusRex posted. I just might have bumped it and pulled the harness when I worked under there previously.

Finally reconnect the harness to the airbag. The airbag light went off. I know disconnecting the battery didn't take the light off because I've done it before a couple times. Let's see if the light comes back.

Yellow harness on the right. Next picture is zoomed in.
Name:  IMG_1617p_zps47082d59.jpg
Views: 7352
Size:  108.9 KB

Take a flathead and get under the yellow tab to pop it up and pull the harness off.

Name:  IMG_1615p_zps5ee5da49.jpg
Views: 6431
Size:  78.2 KB

Last edited by iNfectious; 09-16-13 at 08:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mandyfig (01-24-17)
Old 09-19-13, 01:52 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iNfectious
I took some pictures while I was under there.The yellow harness is like the one for the steering wheel airbag (if anyone install the steering wheel dampener).

I didn't do much under the dash. I moved the harness around and checked for any loose connection. The harness wasn't strain or tied down like ChumpusRex posted. I just might have bumped it and pulled the harness when I worked under there previously.

Finally reconnect the harness to the airbag. The airbag light went off. I know disconnecting the battery didn't take the light off because I've done it before a couple times. Let's see if the light comes back.

Yellow harness on the right. Next picture is zoomed in.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/alphafx7/IS350/IMG_1617p_zps47082d59.jpg

Take a flathead and get under the yellow tab to pop it up and pull the harness off.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/alphafx7/media/IS350/IMG_1615p_zps5ee5da49.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/alphafx7/IS350/IMG_1615p_zps5ee5da49.jpg
Cool, I'll have to give that a shot. So you just disconnected the yellow harness and reconnected it again? Did you have to disconnect the battery before doing so?
Old 09-19-13, 06:30 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

I don't think that is the cause. Not according to the TSIB.

Originally Posted by nitrotang
Cool, I'll have to give that a shot. So you just disconnected the yellow harness and reconnected it again? Did you have to disconnect the battery before doing so?
Yes, disconnect battery when messing with airbags no matter what.
Old 09-19-13, 10:18 PM
iNfectious
Pole Position

Yes please disconnect the battery.

On the TSIB, the harness secured to the underside of the dashboard has to be replaced and the driver knee harness is part of it. Some forums suggest checking male/female connections and that's what we have done here.

It might be a coincidence. Unplugging the battery might have done something or it's one of those time the SRS light goes off randomly but I'm enjoying not seeing the light on the cluster for now.
Old 09-29-13, 05:10 AM
jeliash
Driver School Candidate

I have the same issue with the airbag light on my IS350 2007, 80k+ miles.

Has anyone tried the steps above?
nitrotang - Did it work for you?
Old 10-05-13, 12:44 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jeliash
I have the same issue with the airbag light on my IS350 2007, 80k+ miles. Has anyone tried the steps above? nitrotang - Did it work for you?
I just tried to fix it this morning and instead of pulling it out, I noticed it was loose and just clicked it back in. Didn't disconnect the battery since I didn't unplug it. Started up my car and the red light is finally gone! What would have been a $700 fix from Lexus, I fixed in 10 minutes. Thanks for all the helpful info and pictures guys!
Old 10-05-13, 01:09 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

Ugh, one more reason I am getting rid of my car before the Lexus extended warranty expires.
Old 10-05-13, 08:06 PM
iNfectious
Pole Position

Good one nitrotang!
Old 12-18-13, 08:27 PM
dci4life
Pole Position

Im having this dreaded problem now as well. Going to try Disconnecting the battery, then unplugging and re-plugging in the YELLOW Wires. Hopefully it will work.

Quick Reply: AirBag light ON *with resolution**TSB*