IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 350 or 250 performance in winter snow.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-10, 05:33 AM
H007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 350 or 250 performance in winter snow.

I've gone through this forum pretty extensively and I've received some mixed messages specifically about the IS 350 with snow conditions.

I live in Toronto, Canada and we get some serious snow here, especially just outside of the city.

Now I've read that some people are having a tough time with the IS 350 even with snow tires and I find this troublesome some others are not. I drove my friends 2006 M5 with excellent snow tires to a ski resort several times without any problems never got stuck once with several inches of snow but the M5 has limited slip differential the IS 350 does not which could possibly make a big difference....I'm not sure as yet.

Can I have some feedback as to your experiences WITH snow tires on either the IS 350 or IS 250 with or without AWD. I can't see anyone having a problem with the IS 250 AWD with good snow tires but the rear wheel drive IS 350/250 I'd like some further info. I can't believe some people on this forum are actually complaining about bad performance with all season tires in snow conditions, this is a no brainer a car must have good snow tires in winter its like night and day.

I'm getting a Lexus IS 350 or 250 AWD but I'm really undecided as yet which car to get as winter driving and safety is of course important factors to me.

Thanks for all and any info.

Cheers.
John

Last edited by H007; 12-13-10 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-13-10, 10:58 AM
Underoath
Driver School Candidate

I've already driven through some pretty nasty conditions this winter in the IS250 on all-seasons and it has performed phenomenally. This is my first winter in the IS as I have been driving my 400+rwhp GTO on snow tires the past 3 years. I used to dread driving through snowstorms. Now its no sweat.
Old 12-13-10, 11:05 AM
LexFather

No difference in the AWD system in he 350 or 250. The difference is in the engine.
Old 12-13-10, 11:07 AM
bichoo
Rookie

I have an IS250 AWD and I live in Ottawa. I can tell you that with an AWD you have have any worries! I have a good set of winter tires and this car sticks to the around. I would suggest getting the IS350 AWD, I think its worth the extra money.
Old 12-13-10, 11:22 AM
Mokey
Rookie

I had bought goodyear eagle f1s due to the ratings it had for snow & ice for an all season tire and what a chore it was to drive the 350 rwd on unplowed streets. I couldnt even get out of a parking spot if there was more than an inch of snow on the ground! Just got 2 blizzaks for the rear and what a HUGE difference it makes, i feel so confident now driving in the snow. Now i'm just waiting for the front blizzaks to be delivered.
Old 12-13-10, 12:02 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by H007
...but the M5 has limited slip differential the IS 350 does not which could possibly make a big difference....I'm not sure as yet.
Yes there will be a difference. The the LSD they claim to have is not the true one as it is done by electronics and using breaks/engine (something of that nature) and is different than the one which is done mechnically, like an M5 or what the Toyota Supra has which is the true LSD.

So if you're on a hill and one tire loses traction or in the air, the other tire is still on the ground is not going to move. If you have the true LSD, then the other tire would move and essentially would be able to get moving.

Even when I asked Lexus US customer service, they say it has LSD. Lexus Canada in their product specs list it has "Pre-Torque Semi Limited Slip Differential". Reality, it is not the true LSD!!

If you want your car to have the real one, you need to get an aftermarket one and have one installed. OS Giken has product info on it.

It's the Japanese website, I can't read it but I took a stab of what I think it saids...
http://www.osgiken.co.jp/news/lexus/index.html (their product used in the IS-F for the 24 hour race?)
http://www.osgiken.co.jp/news/lexus/spec.html (talks about their two different for Lexus)
http://www.osgiken.co.jp/news/lexus/tekigo.html (applicable to what models/engine type?)

http://www.dezod.com/cat-limited-slip-differential.cfm - You can get one from this site here.

Last edited by Sango; 12-13-10 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-13-10, 12:11 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mokey
I had bought goodyear eagle f1s due to the ratings it had for snow & ice for an all season tire and what a chore it was to drive the 350 rwd on unplowed streets. I couldnt even get out of a parking spot if there was more than an inch of snow on the ground! Just got 2 blizzaks for the rear and what a HUGE difference it makes, i feel so confident now driving in the snow. Now i'm just waiting for the front blizzaks to be delivered.

Put on real snow tires and the RWD 350 is just fine in the snow.

Just like all the other RWD cars folks drove just fine in Canada and other snowy places for most of the last century.

All-seasons will be not so great in the snow, and summer tires totally worthless.

AWD is a lot less useful than the proper tires.
Old 12-13-10, 01:09 PM
Sango
Pole Position

I forgot to add.

To get around with your car incase one of the tires do ends up losing traction or up in the air, you need to play with the gas/break pedal gently to making the system think it still has traction to get the other tire on the ground to move.
Old 12-13-10, 01:44 PM
H007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sango
http://www.dezod.com/cat-limited-slip-differential.cfm - You can get one from this site here.
Thanks for this info, nothing beats TRUE limited slip differential except AWD.

If I had a problem in the winter with the IS350 then I could get the LSD installed I think it would be worth the money for the extra benefits so the car doesn't donut into a ditch or incoming traffic or get stuck in one spot with only one tire spinning, especially since we have snow for almost 5 months out of the year.

Thanks again for this info.

Cheers.
John
Old 12-13-10, 02:16 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Thanks for this info, nothing beats TRUE limited slip differential except AWD.

If I had a problem in the winter with the IS350 then I could get the LSD installed I think it would be worth the money for the extra benefits so the car doesn't donut into a ditch or incoming traffic or get stuck in one spot with only one tire spinning, especially since we have snow for almost 5 months out of the year.

Thanks again for this info.

Cheers.
John
If you do racing on the car, this LSD comes in handy as well as both wheels will keep spinning if you go around the corner hard while still on the pedal.

I plan to get this myself when I get an IS250 RWD sometimes in the future, or gen 3. Even thou I am a causal driver, I want to have the true LSD anyways.
Old 12-13-10, 02:35 PM
FsterThanU
Driver School Candidate

If you go RWD go with snow tires like everyone said. Even when I had summer tires on my AWD Subaru the thing still spun out in the snow. But don't forget to drive smart. Nowadays every idiot thinks they're a race car driver but it gets dangerous in the snow.

BMW's have always been good in the snow ever since the E46 models. They have perfect 50/50 weight distribution, LSD, and a great traction control. If you are extremely worried get an AWD version of either of the IS's since now both have AWD. If you think you will be capable and plan on getting some blizzaks you can save some $ and get the RWD of either one.
Old 12-13-10, 04:51 PM
H007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FsterThanU
If you go RWD go with snow tires like everyone said. Even when I had summer tires on my AWD Subaru the thing still spun out in the snow. But don't forget to drive smart. Nowadays every idiot thinks they're a race car driver but it gets dangerous in the snow.

BMW's have always been good in the snow ever since the E46 models. They have perfect 50/50 weight distribution, LSD, and a great traction control. If you are extremely worried get an AWD version of either of the IS's since now both have AWD. If you think you will be capable and plan on getting some blizzaks you can save some $ and get the RWD of either one.
For sure, I'll be getting good snow tires with RWD or AWD it's an absolute must. All seasons are good for summer and rain but not snow. I'm a good driver in snow just the fact the IS 305/250 doesn't come withtrue LSD is a concern.

Cheers.
Old 12-13-10, 05:41 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

For sure, I'll be getting good snow tires with RWD or AWD it's an absolute must. All seasons are good for summer and rain but not snow.
Cheers.
All seasons aren't really good in anything except dry freezing weather... they're inferior to snow tires in snow, and inferior to summer tires in both dry and wet at temps above 35F
Old 12-13-10, 06:42 PM
09lexus250
Rookie

the awd is amazing in the snow as others said drive smart. i have a 250awd and here in minneapolis we just got 24 inches in one day and i was out driving in it and had no problems there were subaru foresters that were stuck and i just drove right by. i do have the stock bridgestones. they suck overall bt i still get around just fine
Old 12-14-10, 07:59 AM
BlkSapPrl7
Driver

Got to play with all traction controls off and power ect on in 5" of snow in an open area In my 250awd and I can say this car is a snowmobile. It went thru everything like a rally car it was so much fun!!!!

Quick Reply: IS 350 or 250 performance in winter snow.