IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Got rear-ended, is it totaled?

Old 11-24-10, 11:58 PM
is35shizzo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got rear-ended, is it totaled?

Hey Club Lexus,

I got rear-ended on the way to work this Monday. I was exiting the freeway and came to a complete stop when yielding to make a right turn. The driver behind me forgot to wait for his turn and rammed his truck into me. What do you guys think, is it a total loss??? I know it is not as bad as other total loss I have seen but isn't it hard and expensive to fix the rear quarter panel? It has a crease on the pillar and my door will not open because the quarter panel overlaps the door now.

Scroll down to the pictures below if you do not feel like reading my garbage below...

This all happened in front of a CHP giving a ticket to a speeder. The CHP officer walked over and asked if both parties were okay. He then tells me even though he witnessed the accident, he cannot file a police report for me because he is a CHP and the accident did not occur on the freeway so he does not have jurisdiction and advised me to call Burbank PD for a police report. So I called Burbank PD and they transfer me back to the CHP and back and forth because they could not determine if the end of ramp is part of the freeway or not, then I was transferred between LAPD and Burbank because they could not determine the city I was in and then they put me back with the CHP. Then the CHP operator transferred me back to Burbank and punked the operator to take my call. Finally, Burbank takes the call and ask if anyone was badly injured and if peramedics needs to be dispatched. I told them no and that I need a police report and because the accident did not damage any city property like a like pole, they will not dispatch an officer to the scene... oh well...

the truck that hit me, a 2007 Ford F250

another look

Old 11-25-10, 12:04 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

could be totaled.. glad your ok.. i hate how the pd and chp gave you the run around.. did you tow it home?
Old 11-25-10, 12:10 AM
is35shizzo
Driver School Candidate

it was driveable so i just drove it home, parked it in my driveway and called my insurance company...
Old 11-25-10, 12:48 AM
iboon
Rookie

looks like a total loss to me but i could be wrong
Old 11-25-10, 12:52 AM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

dude that is total BS how they didnt sent a police office to do a report. Ive gotten a police report for my past 2 accidents and they both had no property damage (in OC). I wish you best of luck with the aftermath and if it does turn out totaled or salvage, I hope you get a great payout and find another clean accident free IS. If I were you I'd get a lawyer to help recovered your lose such as your car and get you a good settlement for your "back pain."
Old 11-25-10, 03:14 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

Sorry to hear. I was rearended in a lexus loaner vehicle and it took the cop about 2 hrs to show up. The party that hit me wanted to leave and just let the insurance deal with it. People are crazy these days.
Old 11-25-10, 07:32 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

its not totalled AND, no offense but, if there was a lane in front of you then that totally is your fault. Your really not supposed to stop at yield signs
Old 11-25-10, 08:00 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

CHP and the local PD can only FILE a report in their jurisdiction. He can be a witness, yes, and I'm hoping that you got his name so that you can say that he was on your insurance report.

An officer will come out to the scene of an accident if there is an injury. There is no reason to come out since at that point he cannot determine who was at fault, since he did not witness it. (Again, the CHP can be a witness on your report to the insurance). They can and will suggest that you and the OP exchange information and if a tow is needed, they will call a truck for you. But other than that, if he were to come out, all he would do is take your info, take the other guys info then he would give you his and yours to him. Then tell you to call the insurance co. That's all. Seriously.
Old 11-25-10, 08:08 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ScKcBc
its not totalled AND, no offense but, if there was a lane in front of you then that totally is your fault. Your really not supposed to stop at yield signs
even if there were a yield sign present there are instances in which the traffic conditions could totally necessitate a complete stop. that said, i doubt a yield sign was present, as he was in LA and at the end of nearly all freeway here are stop signs or a traffic signals regardless of whether or not there is a dedicated lane to accommodate the influx of freeway traffic onto city streets.
Old 11-25-10, 08:14 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Micaiah is right. I work for a fire dept. And that's all the cops can do. Imagine how many fender benders they'd have to come out to. Sorry to see your nice G ride all smashed up! I don't think it's totaled, but the first number that popped up when I saw the pic was 15K. The crease on the upper C pillar is pretty crazy. He hit you hard! Good luck with everything, hope it goes well.
Old 11-25-10, 08:43 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Micaiah
CHP and the local PD can only FILE a report in their jurisdiction. He can be a witness, yes, and I'm hoping that you got his name so that you can say that he was on your insurance report.

An officer will come out to the scene of an accident if there is an injury. There is no reason to come out since at that point he cannot determine who was at fault, since he did not witness it. (Again, the CHP can be a witness on your report to the insurance). They can and will suggest that you and the OP exchange information and if a tow is needed, they will call a truck for you. But other than that, if he were to come out, all he would do is take your info, take the other guys info then he would give you his and yours to him. Then tell you to call the insurance co. That's all. Seriously.
dont the officers come out, listen to both sides of the story, talk to witnesses if any, and determine who was at fault usually? When i got into my last accident thats exactly what happend. It was easy to determine the other guy was at fault, the cop wrote him a ticket and made it easier for the insurance companies to determine who's gonna pay.
As far as the yield sign, i don't believe it's gonna be his fault because as someone mentioned there could be numerous hazardous conditions on the road that require you to stop and the people behind you are required to pay attention and stop along with you.
In any cases it sucks when sh it like this happens especially righ around the holidays....
Old 11-25-10, 08:55 AM
lexusis305
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thats realy suck bro I hope your ok
Old 11-25-10, 09:21 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Well here in NY, alot of yield signs have the designated lane but people still stop and rear ends happen all the time. I rear ended a sequoia myself at a yield. There was no lane, but the guy stopped, looked and then accelerated and then after entering the right lane, he stopped again for NO apparent reason. There were no cars coming so when he went, I looked to my left and literally drove like 15-20 ft right into him. I accelerated into him actually, never touching the brakes. Because he stopped a 2nd time. It was 100% my fault on paper obviously but IMO, that's ridiculous. I hate Yield signs, I'd rather just have intersections. People don't know how to merge or yield and it annoys the **** out of me
Old 11-25-10, 10:00 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MashinA
dont the officers come out, listen to both sides of the story, talk to witnesses if any, and determine who was at fault usually?
You would think it would be that easy but depending upon how situations escalate during the wait for response, sometimes the story changes.

Here's what happened to my family:

My husband and his friend needed to go shopping and ended up following a truck into a driveway of a parking lot. Right as you go into the driveway, it has a Burger King as soon as you enter. The other guy went into the driveway, angled his truck to the right then realized he was entering the drive through. He put his truck into reverse, hit the gas and ended up on top of the hood of our car.

The guy got out, looked around and then shouted at my husband asking him why he rear ended him.

The cops wouldn't come because there were no injuries so my husband and our friend were left there to fend for themselves. The guy was really hard to deal with, and was not going to admit he reversed into them. Lucky our friend spoke Spanish because nearby were some non English speaking witnesses who he finally convinced to help out.

Without a witness it's our word against his word, plain and simple.
Old 11-25-10, 10:04 AM
is35shizzo
Driver School Candidate

hey ScKcBC, let me explain the scene so you have a better understanding... my exit ramp to work is bumper to bumper everyday because cars cannot merge into the right lane with the heavy oncoming traffic, everyone comes to a complete stop during rush hour because you only have so much distance to merge in safely. i understand where you're coming from and yes i hate drivers who treats a yield sign like a stop sign, but it my case there was no more room to go, i stopped just like the other 20 cars in front of me and waited for my turn.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got rear-ended, is it totaled?