IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need help with rotors.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-10, 11:24 AM
ISAVY
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with rotors.

I need a brake job, so I called Lexus to ask for estimates just out of curiousty and it was $239 for fronts and $239 for rears with lube, resurfacing rotors, and pads. Of course I am not going to pay that because I have done brake work before, but this is my first Lexus, so I need some advice. I called a brake shop in Orlando and he said to never turn Lexus rotors because of their type. I told him Lexus said they would do it, and he said that was odd. He told me to just go buy new ones, but I stated that they cost $168 at Lexus he said go buy them at Autozone for 33 bucks a piece. He was like it will be better then them turning them for $15.

So here are the rotors are they the same quanlity as the Lexus ones or am I screwing myself. Should I even resurface the rotors?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-jpxhhZ8knrq
Old 11-12-10, 11:30 AM
Wierdazndu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISAVY
I need a brake job, so I called Lexus to ask for estimates just out of curiousty and it was $239 for fronts and $239 for rears with lube, resurfacing rotors, and pads. Of course I am not going to pay that because I have done brake work before, but this is my first Lexus, so I need some advice. I called a brake shop in Orlando and he said to never turn Lexus rotors because of their type. I told him Lexus said they would do it, and he said that was odd. He told me to just go buy new ones, but I stated that they cost $168 at Lexus he said go buy them at Autozone for 33 bucks a piece. He was like it will be better then them turning them for $15.

So here are the rotors are they the same quanlity as the Lexus ones or am I screwing myself. Should I even resurface the rotors?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-jpxhhZ8knrq
HOw many miles you got on the rotors? If not so many miles and they got good life left, I say just turn em and get new pads for like $40 and do it yourself.
Old 11-12-10, 11:34 AM
ISAVY
Rookie

61k Miles on the rotors. I have the pads already. Now just the rotors are the issue Lexus says they turn, brake shop says don't turn Lexus rotors get new ones, and don't just "slap pad" the pads.
Old 11-12-10, 11:36 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^^ That's the thing though... it's not 'worth' turning for the price difference in new rotors.

Sure i don't have an ISx50, but i just did my brakes today on my ES300.

They we're turned in the past [a few years ago] But bought some whitebox autozone equivalents for 100$ tax in for all four corners. Where turning them will run you what, 75$ taxes in?

I was quoted 80$/corner from Toyota per rotor hahaha
Old 11-12-10, 11:54 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Is there something wrong with the existing rotors that you think they need to be "turned"?

Unless there's something wrong with em (uneven pad deposits, really deep lip, thin below spec, etc) just put new pads on and go.
Old 11-12-10, 12:06 PM
ISAVY
Rookie

I have always been told that when switching pads switch rotors since it is so cheap. Because the surface of the old rotors will not match the new pads and they will be noise until they wear correctly.
Old 11-12-10, 12:07 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

i can get you pretty good rotors for alot cheaper then dealer prices. I have a set on my car and they're perfect. PM me if your interested
Old 11-12-10, 12:23 PM
ISAVY
Rookie

I am just debating on whether or not to replace the rotors or leave them as is.
Old 11-12-10, 12:36 PM
funglenn
Lead Lap

I slaped on new pads and never looked back. not a major deal.
Old 11-12-10, 12:47 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ISAVY
I have always been told that when switching pads switch rotors since it is so cheap. Because the surface of the old rotors will not match the new pads and they will be noise until they wear correctly.
Assuming you're using the same type of pads, and you didn't do something wrong to cause significant uneven pad transfer, then there's no reason to resurface the rotors. As long as the rotors are still in spec just apply new pads and go...resurfacing will just waste useful metal.