IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

is350 Brake Fluid flush

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-11, 08:28 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife's ordering me sway bars for my '08 IS 350 as a bday gift. Since I'm ordering from sewell, I thought I'd just order the brake fluid also. Anything else I could order from sewell for the brake fluid flush? I watched the vid and read through the thread and I don't think there's anything else I need. I'm also going through some oil change DIY threads to figure out what parts/tools I could get from sewell on the same order too
Old 01-24-11, 10:30 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

^Finally ordered the sway bars for my '08 IS 350 from sewell. In the order, I also got four of the Brake Fluid bottles. It didn't say how much was in the bottle but I was thinking that it was a liter each meaning 4 liters total, 2 for the brake fluid change I have to do now, and 2 for the next one.

Now need to work on making sure I have all the tools I need to do the brake fluid change
Old 01-24-11, 11:46 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
They're all pretty much the same. Suck the old fluid out of the master cylinder reservoir. refill with fresh fluid and bleed all four calipers starting with the farthest from the master cylinder (passenger rear) and working progressively closer to the master cylinder. Just be sure you never let the reservoir get below the LOW mark or you might introduce air into the system, then bleeding becomes a huge PITA.

Some of us installed Earl's Solo Bleeders to make the bleeding process a one person job. I have these also installed on my IS F, my Supra, and the wife's Scion tC. They're easily worth their weight in gold.
So, start from the passenger's rear then the driver's rear, passenger's side, and then the driver's side? can anyone confirm this??
Old 01-25-11, 10:50 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Confirmed. This is how it's done.
Old 01-25-11, 01:39 PM
Mokey
Rookie

Originally Posted by BounceNY
^ I thought they just released a new recall stating issue with the master brake cylinder when using non-Toyota brand brake fluid. Something about the polymers. Check it out, there was also a thread here on this.

http://www.lexus.com/recall/#gsisrxRecallSection
I took my car to the dealer to get the brake fluid flush service done and they told me they were going to do it and due to the recall i wouldnt have to pay for it since it gets covered by that recall.
Old 01-25-11, 03:17 PM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do it once a month on my race car, you can get a power bleeder from summit for $40 just hook it up pump to like 30 lbs pressure and turn the screw til the color changes and your done. I can do a complete flush in 30 minutes
Old 01-25-11, 03:23 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

^ how does the summit power bleeder differ from earls solo bleeder mentioned here:

Some of us installed Earl's Solo Bleeders to make the bleeding process a one person job. I have these also installed on my IS F, my Supra, and the wife's Scion tC. They're easily worth their weight in gold.
Old 01-25-11, 03:29 PM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Those go on the caliper, this goes on the master cylinder and eliminates air bubbles. With those you still need pressure to push the fluid thru the system and make sure you don't push air into it. This holds 3 quarts and then you just hook it up, pump the handle to 30 psi and walk to each caliper and turn the screw with a wrench. Still one person, but you just turn the screw under the color of the fluid changes and then tighten it back up and go to the next caliper. This can be used for brakes or clutch lines if you upgrade to stainless steel or replace a broken one.

Something like this, I don't think this is my exact model. I have to completely flush my brake system after ever race and this is what I use.

Last edited by Bottledfed; 01-25-11 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-25-11, 05:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

I'm not a big fan of this style because you're pressurizing the air directly into the fluid. I've seen powerbleeders with an enclosed space for the fluid and the air pushes on a piston or bladder to create the pressure. They don't let any air in the fluid. I've done this with irrigation syringes on bikes because the system volume is pretty small. Just fill the 60cc syringe with brake fluid, purge the air, and fill from caliper to master cylinder. Then the only thing to be concerned about is cavitation at the master cylinder.

Yeah, I know I'm being picky, but gases dissolve into everything, and the last thing I want is air dissolving into my brake fluid. This is why I prefer solobleeders to anything short of the shop grade powerbleeders for my cars.
Old 01-25-11, 06:07 PM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

I'm not a big fan of this style because you're pressurizing the air directly into the fluid. I've seen powerbleeders with an enclosed space for the fluid and the air pushes on a piston or bladder to create the pressure. They don't let any air in the fluid. I've done this with irrigation syringes on bikes because the system volume is pretty small. Just fill the 60cc syringe with brake fluid, purge the air, and fill from caliper to master cylinder. Then the only thing to be concerned about is cavitation at the master cylinder.

Yeah, I know I'm being picky, but gases dissolve into everything, and the last thing I want is air dissolving into my brake fluid. This is why I prefer solobleeders to anything short of the shop grade powerbleeders for my cars.
Thats the way mines is its has a black bladder and fills with air on the inside and thats what makes the pressure. Like I said I just picked a general pictures of a model they sell.
Old 05-08-11, 09:59 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

I finally did the brake fluid change in my 2008 IS 350 last weekend. I put a write-up online: http://shahryar.net/2011/05/08/chang...y-2008-is-350/ . Would love to hear feedback and if you're considering doing it yourself, hopefully it'll help you.
Old 07-12-11, 10:34 PM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just about to do mine myself. im at 50k miles i paid a shop 30 bucks to do it long ago but they dont exist any more
Old 07-13-11, 08:03 AM
thechosun
Driver

Just figured id chime in.

After reading this thread, i went ahead and did my brake fluid flush and it turned out to be alot of fun and i learned alot about my brakes.

This DIY seems very intimidating but its really pretty simple and takes about....45 minutes tops.

Ill probably do this maintenance on my own with my vehicles moving forward.

Thanks for all the tips and great info everyone.
Old 07-13-11, 05:49 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

So, am I correct in assuming that this situation has been corrected and does not affect post 2006 IS's? I have an '08 and had and independent mechanic do the 3 year svc recently with the brake fluid flush. Dealer wanted $800 for the service (after a $100 coupon) but local mechanic did it for $180. I doubt he used Toyota brake fluid but has always done good work at a good price on my other cars.
Old 07-13-11, 07:17 PM
cestjoel
Driver

OP, I see that you're close to Longo Lexus. If so, check out Tommy @musicbox he could flush the lines for you. Lots of us socal locals go to him. Here is his thread on the local socal section
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...-el-monte.html
Here is his info if you wanna skip all the reading.

Tommy
948 Durfee Ave
South El Monte, CA
(626) 823-2853

EDIT: just realized this is an old post lol

Quick Reply: is350 Brake Fluid flush