IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2009 Lexus IS 250 Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-10, 05:40 PM
TechBari
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Lexus IS 250 Remote Start

I just recently purchased a preowned 2009 Lexus IS 250 which I'm very happy with, but it's missing remote start capabilities which my previous vehicle had. So I've decided to do some research because I have some serious concerns installing a remote start system on this vehicle which has keyless entry.

I understand that the remote start technology has improved greatly in recent years, and I'm told that systems can be installed which are seamless. And that is what I'm looking for, a completely seamless system.

I want to be able to start the car, allow it to warm up, open the door with the engine still running and press the start button (to engage the OEMs systems) all with the proximity key in my wallet

So far my research had led me to two remote systems, Viper and Compustar, but what I'm understanding is that the most important aspect of remote start for a keyless entry vehicle is the keyless entry immobilizer, which has led me to XpressKit PKALL. Apparently this unit does not require you to leave a proximity key in the vehicle, which I'm absolutely against.

So that's what I have so far and I'm wondering if anybody else has had experience with remote start on the 2009 Lexus IS 250 or comparable and whether or not I'm on the right track or if somebody could recommend other alternatives, experiences, etc.
Old 10-28-10, 05:58 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

from what I have read on here it can't be done, at least not very well. I haven't looked into it in a while though.
Old 10-28-10, 06:15 PM
TechBari
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jbjones85
from what I have read on here it can't be done, at least not very well. I haven't looked into it in a while though.
Most people tend to have the same opinion as you, however what I said in my preamble, the technology has changed in recent years and this is electronics that were dealing with, there's no reason why a decent remote start system could'nt be installed.
Old 10-28-10, 06:20 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

^ it can be done but you need a bypass module...imo too much ish to mess with...not worth it.
Old 10-28-10, 07:13 PM
TechBari
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
^ it can be done but you need a bypass module...imo too much ish to mess with...not worth it.
The bypass module that I'm looking at is the XpressKit PKALL

http://www.xpresskit.com/product.aspx?productid=196

It's said to work very well on the Lexus, in any case I've written to the manufacturer to see if it's going to meet my needs or not. So we'll have to see.

I realize that I'm breaking new ground here and it doesn't seem that many people have attempted to install a remote start unit on this car, which is unfortunate for me because I could really use the advice of a professional installer or at least someone who has had some experience with such a product.

You may be correct in that it's not worth the effort, and I guess if I lived in California also, there would be no need for a remote starter, unless of course you wanted your air conditioning system on prior to getting into your vehicle. But I happen to live in Canada and I believe there are some cold months ahead and being able to walk out your door and into a nice warm car, is luxury in its itself.

So I'll take your comment under advisement and at the end of the day it may in fact not be worth the effort or as I consider it, the risk.

In any case, if I can get this module issue figured out to my satisfaction, there are a number of compelling and interesting options available such as the Viper with SmartStart allowing you to start your car from virtually anywhere using your iPhone, Blackberry or Android, not to mention notifications to your phone of break-ins, towings, etc.

So thank you for your thoughts, which I'll take into consideration but my journey continues.
Old 10-28-10, 07:36 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

^ Let me know how it goes. i use to run an aftermarket alarm. Problerm was when i unlcoked / locked the car, it would not trigger my side puddle lights, so i ended up scrapping the whole alarm. I did infact want to try to get the remote start, but seeing as i couldnt get the puddles to work with countless tries, i just got fed up.
Old 10-28-10, 07:43 PM
TechBari
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
^ Let me know how it goes. i use to run an aftermarket alarm. Problerm was when i unlcoked / locked the car, it would not trigger my side puddle lights, so i ended up scrapping the whole alarm. I did infact want to try to get the remote start, but seeing as i couldnt get the puddles to work with countless tries, i just got fed up.
Well I hope someone who really knows and understands the ins and outs of the keyless entry/perimeter key and remote start, can chime in and give me the how, knows and what fors.

Myself, unless I get some excellent advice and find a good installer things will remain the status quo, but I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-28-10, 09:33 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have a remote start "add on" on my 1999 Lexus RX300. It was the DEI 551t. Worked like a charm. I am thinking of getting the Avital 4003L. This is also considered a OEM add on remote start system. It is also compatible with the PKALL. I am still doing some research on it as well. I was looking into a OEM alarm upgrade kit with the remote start. Only because I would really like to have some shock sensors/glass break sensor which I am told doesn't come on the factory alarm.
Old 10-28-10, 09:47 PM
Wicked GS
Lead Lap

I have the Clifford G5 5.1 alarm. I love it, it works well with the remote start. Everything works with the car. Main reason I wanted a remote start is because I have a 2month old son and didn't want him getting into a 90+ degree car. I do carry the fog key with me on normal start up, but the Clifford controls the doors, windows, remote start just like the factory fog key. If you're going to do it, I'd say go on the site and see who's an authorized dealer. I didn't want just anyone cutting into my wires an not having a clue being that it's a push start. It's a very time consuming process; I dropped the car off at 9am and got it back later that evening, which I don't mind, just get it right was my concern. Another feature is good is the black jack, it allows only you to have access to start up, just requires you to have a 4 digit pin #. The sensors that are on the car are bad @$$ too. Of course they're adjustable, but the one that really stands out is the tilt sensor, in case someone is trying to tow your car, just raising it off the ground will trigger it or tapping the rim. With everything time/labor I spent about a 1k.
Old 10-29-10, 07:17 AM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu SC3
I have the Clifford G5 5.1 alarm. I love it, it works well with the remote start. Everything works with the car. Main reason I wanted a remote start is because I have a 2month old son and didn't want him getting into a 90+ degree car. I do carry the fog key with me on normal start up, but the Clifford controls the doors, windows, remote start just like the factory fog key. If you're going to do it, I'd say go on the site and see who's an authorized dealer. I didn't want just anyone cutting into my wires an not having a clue being that it's a push start. It's a very time consuming process; I dropped the car off at 9am and got it back later that evening, which I don't mind, just get it right was my concern. Another feature is good is the black jack, it allows only you to have access to start up, just requires you to have a 4 digit pin #. The sensors that are on the car are bad @$$ too. Of course they're adjustable, but the one that really stands out is the tilt sensor, in case someone is trying to tow your car, just raising it off the ground will trigger it or tapping the rim. With everything time/labor I spent about a 1k.
So does your factory fob work perfectly? Or did you lose door/window functionality? I think the ideal install would be all the additional stuff working off the factory fob, with all stock functionality working. I wouldn't mind using my iphone to start my car, as long as I dont have to carry around another fob.
Old 10-29-10, 08:15 AM
Wicked GS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OPTiK
So does your factory fob work perfectly? Or did you lose door/window functionality? I think the ideal install would be all the additional stuff working off the factory fob, with all stock functionality working. I wouldn't mind using my iphone to start my car, as long as I dont have to carry around another fob.
yes I still have full control with the factory fob key, locks,trunk windows ... the iPhone one is the Viper I believe .... I doubt you can just use the fob key for the additional things, you would loose control of adjusting the sensors ... the key it self is smaller then our fob key
Old 10-30-10, 10:13 AM
TechBari
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone else have any positive, negetive feedback on remote start or suggestions?
Old 10-30-10, 09:06 PM
09lexus250
Rookie

iv been in talks with 2 different shops one in mn and one in sd and they say that there is a bypass in the works bt they have been having issues getting everything to work right. last time i checked was about a month ago.

the thing that is frustrating is that we have a similar setup to a toyota avalon with the push start and they work fine on them bt ours they wont work without clipping wires and i dont want my new car all cut up.
Old 10-31-10, 02:19 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

08 it can be done the dealer do it. here were i live at least they take it to another shop and they do the install and you get a small piece that goes on the key chain just to start and stop the remote starter. when you get in you can just drive without it shutting off and you still have the oem key for keyless.
Old 11-01-10, 08:59 AM
Tajai7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had a Viper 5701 with SmartStart remote start installed in my IS250 last night. The SmartStart phone app is pretty cool...it can do all kinds of crazy things besides start, unlock/lock, etc. from your cell phone. The module is pretty spendy though. The regular module that is needed for an IS w/o the phone app capabilities runs about $165 and the SmartStart module runs $300 -- again both don't include the cost of which remote start/security system you want to install. One cool feature is that it can keep your car running until it reaches a certain cabin temp, etc. (great for me in MN). I'm still trying to figure out everything it can do but the technology has definitely improved from the pre-2006 days of remote starters that I had installed in my ES. I'll keep playing with it and post any issues I encounter from the Viper 5701 w/ SmartStart but for now it seems to be working pretty well.

ADDED: I should also add that it took my installer a solid several hours to complete the install. He did encounter an issue with the door locks not working but after triple checking the wiring he finally figured it out. He had to reprogram the Lexus key fob too so that both remotes would still lock/unlock the car without interfering with each other. The parking lights also don't flash when you unlock/lock your doors with the Viper remote unless you ran a new wire from the module to each light. If you start the car via remote start, you have to use the Viper remote to unlock your car or your remote start will be killed using the Lexus key fob. I had the remote start set to run for 20 minutes before auto-turning itself off and the Viper remote will give you an indication oh how much time you have remaining on the remote start. If you try to take off with the car w/o the Lexus key fob, I believe it will drive for 45 seconds before killing the engine. If you have the Lexus key fob with you, the car will still keep running, it won't just die on you while driving. That's the the security feature. So it sounds like there are some complications but a good installer should be able to figure it out.

Last edited by Tajai7; 11-01-10 at 09:19 AM.

Quick Reply: 2009 Lexus IS 250 Remote Start