IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Seventh Mod: LED Reverse Lights

Old 10-27-10, 08:15 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Seventh Mod: LED Reverse Lights

most people would probably go with the 921 LEDs from vleds for their reverse lights:
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/P...-p7526829.html

but the price is pretty steep just for a pair of reverse lights that not many people will see since the time the car is in reverse is very minimal

so i went the cheap route and looked for something similar on ebay and came across this:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/1-Pcs-T10-168-194...#ht_2957wt_906
i thought "can't go wrong with $4 for a pair!", and went ahead and bought them

and ofcourse, the v-leds being 8W, these ebay LEDs aren't nearly as bright as the v-leds
first i wanted to see if these ebay 28 LEDs were brighter than my v-leds 13 LEDs so i mounted one as a parking light
(http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/G...-p6638587.html)

left: ebay 28 SMT LED
right: v-led 6000K 13 SMT LED
the ebay LEDs are ONLY just as bright as the v-leds despite that it has 15 more LEDs mounted!

the ebay LEDs were noticeably more blue than my already 6000K v-leds and did not match my lows and fogs, so on we go with installing them as reverse lights

ebay 28 SMT LEDs

v-led 6000K 13 SMT LEDs

similar to a lot of other LED installations, these ebay LEDs will loose contact when you push them all the way into the input. i had to pull them out a little until they made contact with the plates and made sure they stayed in place. so i had to ask my brother to sit in the driver's seat and put the car on reverse, made sure the LED stayed in place, opened and closed the trunk a few times to make sure the motion does not kick the LED out of place, which it did a few times. finally i was able to get the LEDs to stay still, and yes, it will be a pain if you're installing these on your own.
if anyone has experience with the v-led 8W reverse lights, please let us know if you had to do the same or the v-led LEDs were able to make contact when pushed all the way in.

stock:

ebay LED:

stock:

ebay LED:

and as we all could have guessed, installing LEDs that are just as bright as parking lights will not be bright enough. so right now, i have the LEDs installed just for the sake of getting rid of all the stock halogen yellow bulbs in my IS, but i SHOULD invest on brighter reverse lights so i can actually have an improved view over the stock reverse lights.

so i'd recommend skipping the cheap ebay LEDs, no matter how many LEDs they have mounted on, and go with the 8W v-leds if you are going for brightness

on the other hand, the ebay LEDs i got would be a very good alternative for the v-leds parking lights if you're for a blue tint as they have the exact brightness but are ~$10 cheaper

Last edited by SilentWish; 10-27-10 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-27-10, 08:18 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn bro nice write, i may have to go ahead and do this
Old 10-27-10, 08:42 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
damn bro nice write, i may have to go ahead and do this
haha thanks bro
at first i was thinking not to post a thread just for this little mod that probably no one cares about lol
but since i did some comparisons, i thought it may help some members out a bit

yea you should go ahead and do it!
i'm still struggling if i should get the v-led reverse lights cause i think they really are a lot brighter.. but for that much more
Old 10-27-10, 08:52 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

yea all in all everything on this forum helps everyone.

Yea i think V-leds are waay better, when i do it ill but it from them. I got some other projects lined up b4 i get to this one. IM thinking about a Wald spoiler
Old 10-27-10, 08:53 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

I have V-leds reverse lights as well, and I love them. I always forget about them, then I see them in a reflection every so often and they look so good
Old 10-27-10, 08:54 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

They look pretty nice but, I was wondering...

Do you have the reverse back up camera? If so, have you noticed better lighting when backing up at night?
Old 10-27-10, 08:59 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

@big - nice! haha it's always good to look forward to the next mod! sigh.. i think this may be the last of my mods (man it stings my heart by just saying this) as any other mod i'd have to take the car into the garage.. and those mods would cost too much for me
i'd love to install the F-sport sway bar.. and get coils and spacers
but then my car's a lease.. and when i return the car.. i'll loose all those expensive mods to the dealership
i mean.. i can take them back.. but that's another cost right there to take them back out

@ScKcBc - do you remember if you had any hassles installing the v-leds? as in.. did they loose contact when you pushed them all the way in and had to pull them out a bit for contact?

@SPNinjA - thanks man! unfortunately i don't have the backup camera but you're right! if i did i would be able to tell right away if these give off better lighting! but i doubt they do tho.. i think for better lighting we'd definitely have to go with the v-led 8W LEDs!
Old 10-27-10, 09:04 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

I love my reverse lights, v-leds ftw
by the way, v-leds are having a huge sale right now. 20% already taken off in the inventory plus 15% off your entire purchase
Old 10-27-10, 09:06 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dvo
I love my reverse lights, v-leds ftw
by the way, v-leds are having a huge sale right now. 20% already taken off in the inventory plus 15% off your entire purchase
i know! and i'm so tempted by that!!
but it still adds up to be a bit over $50 for me after shipping

but i know i'd hate myself if all of a sudden i wanna buy it after the sale and have to pay full price then
ahhhhhh the mod bug is really eating up my wallet
Old 10-27-10, 09:15 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SilentWish
i know! and i'm so tempted by that!!
but it still adds up to be a bit over $50 for me after shipping

but i know i'd hate myself if all of a sudden i wanna buy it after the sale and have to pay full price then
ahhhhhh the mod bug is really eating up my wallet
it's so worth it! I've spent over $150 on v-leds...so $50 shouldn't be a problem

i still have to get a LED for my trunk and switch my courtesy door light covers to clear...after that my car is 90% LED
Old 10-27-10, 09:59 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

@silentwish

I hear ya man, but with me the car is paid off and its mine to keep. I wouldve have done alot of the mods years ago but i got into a another hobby that cut into the budget.

And to be honest man, i suggest u do some of the mods cuz its fun and most off u got something to look forward to
Old 10-27-10, 10:08 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much were ur guys vled drl....with the relay and everything...i went on the site and picked some out and it came out to $100....i dont wanna spend that much :/
Old 10-27-10, 10:14 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

are u looking at the right item. i think the highest it goes for the DRL is $20
Old 10-27-10, 10:25 PM
Alantjai
Pole Position

I have the Vleds as my backup lights and it does looks cool, but the useable light is not more than the stock bulb. Just the outputcolor has been changed. Therefore, A 6000k ledbulb will lose some usefull light compared to the stock +/- 3000k bulbs.
Old 10-27-10, 10:39 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
are u looking at the right item. i think the highest it goes for the DRL is $20
this is the one i was looking at. when you add the 6000k bulb which is $73 it becomes a hundred bucks...
http://www.v-leds.com/Vehicle-Specif...-p9184857.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seventh Mod: LED Reverse Lights