IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Reliability on used IS250?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-10, 11:08 AM
Marty315
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliability on used IS250?

OK, so I know it's my first post but I've been reading threads for about two days now. I've read almost 30% of the threads on the intro to IS Second Gen page but am still looking to find more information.

I'm considering purchasing a 2006 IS250 with 70,000 miles on it. I've previously driven the Infiniti G35 and most recently the G37. Just interested to know what people have thought regarding reliability on the IS250. I know luxury vehicles cost more to maintain and repair and I can accept that. I just don't want to get stuck in a money pit with a vehicle that starts falling apart after 70K.

Looknig forward to hearing your thoughts in advance. Thanks!
Old 10-26-10, 11:17 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious, why are you considering the IS250 coming from G37? You'll definitely take a hit on the speed and feel a lot slower. People will suggest go for IS350. You got more HP without sacrificing much on gas. Plus, IS350 tend to avoid the carbon build-up issue because it has direct port injection.

If you really want an IS250, it's pretty reliable. Just make sure that the car has all the TSB work performed and you should be fine.
Old 10-26-10, 11:23 AM
lexusis305
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its a good just need to check for rust, body frame ,wireing also check at local dealer with vin for sevrice history .if no service done at dealer then get it check by lexus ase tech
Old 10-26-10, 11:28 AM
BradInPhx
Rookie

Check to make sure the A/C system is not leaking to the floormats. A must check for anyone buying a 2nd Gen IS
Old 10-26-10, 11:33 AM
Marty315
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shadowman
Just curious, why are you considering the IS250 coming from G37? You'll definitely take a hit on the speed and feel a lot slower. People will suggest go for IS350. You got more HP without sacrificing much on gas. Plus, IS350 tend to avoid the carbon build-up issue because it has direct port injection.

If you really want an IS250, it's pretty reliable. Just make sure that the car has all the TSB work performed and you should be fine.
I'm actually considering purchasing the IS250 for my son. I wouldn't dream of getting him a car this nice but a friend is selling it to me. She's got the premium, luxury and sport packages plus navigation and is offering it at $15K. From what I've read, that's a fantastic deal on this vehicle and definitely less than a new Scion TC which is what he was originally asking for.
Old 10-26-10, 11:50 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

^^^ Marty315, That is a nice deal...

You can check with the dealer to see if the car has been maintained at the dealership. They have a service record for the car's history everytime it is brought in. Check to see if the TSB and recalls performed. There are a few serious TSB like the water in the rear caused by A/C draining into the rear floor. Over time, this can promote mold in your car and perhaps rust.

Don't forget the carfax to see if anything major happened. Your son is lucky!
Old 10-26-10, 11:54 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

$15k is a pretty good deal. I say do it, he may catch the normal envious other kids (assuming he is a kid <20yrs) giving him a hard time for a nice car being given to him by his parents, but thats a whole other can of worms around here.

As far as the car goes, it's pretty reliable. Most people with high mileage only report doing the recommended services at the mileage intervals and its good to go. Oil changes are my only real expense after almost 30k miles, that and air filters... and mods...
Old 10-26-10, 11:55 AM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Whoa that's a great deal! With all the options on the car, that is a steal.
Old 10-26-10, 12:33 PM
sigteacher
Driver

Originally Posted by Marty315
OK, so I know it's my first post but I've been reading threads for about two days now. I've read almost 30% of the threads on the intro to IS Second Gen page but am still looking to find more information.

I'm considering purchasing a 2006 IS250 with 70,000 miles on it. I've previously driven the Infiniti G35 and most recently the G37. Just interested to know what people have thought regarding reliability on the IS250. I know luxury vehicles cost more to maintain and repair and I can accept that. I just don't want to get stuck in a money pit with a vehicle that starts falling apart after 70K.

Looknig forward to hearing your thoughts in advance. Thanks!
It's a Lexus...need I said more?
Old 10-26-10, 12:55 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Marty315
I'm actually considering purchasing the IS250 for my son. I wouldn't dream of getting him a car this nice but a friend is selling it to me. She's got the premium, luxury and sport packages

No she doesn't.

It's impossible to get more than one of those on a car.

It's pretty common for IS owners to have no idea what options their car really has though.

here's the simple way to figure it out.

If it:

Does NOT have memory seats but DOES have heated/cooled seats and woodgrain THEN it has the premium package.

DOES have memory seats but DOES NOT have woodgrain or rear sunshade then it has the sport package.

DOES have memory seats AND has woodgrain and rear sunshade then it has the Luxury package.

A 2IS can only have one of those three packages.

Navigation is a standalone option and unrelated to any of them.

Anyway, as others have mentioned, try and find out what TSIBs have been done, it's too late to get em done for free now since the warranty is gone... also ask if the spark plugs have been changed, since this is called for at 60k and is really the only significant maintenance expense as far as scheduled service.

(beyond the 60k plug change you have nothing on scheduled service for the car other than oil and filter changes, a brake fluid change ever 2 years/30k, and coolant change every 5 years/100k)

Last edited by Kurtz; 10-26-10 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-26-10, 01:35 PM
Marty315
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
If it:

Does NOT have memory seats but DOES have heated/cooled seats and woodgrain THEN it has the premium package.

DOES have memory seats but DOES NOT have woodgrain or rear sunshade then it has the sport package.

DOES have memory seats AND has woodgrain and rear sunshade then it has the Luxury package.

A 2IS can only have one of those three packages.

Navigation is a standalone option and unrelated to any of them.
I have emailed her all of these questions and I will let you know her response so we can determine which model it is.

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Anyway, as others have mentioned, try and find out what TSIBs have been done, it's too late to get em done for free now since the warranty is gone... also ask if the spark plugs have been changed, since this is called for at 60k and is really the only significant maintenance expense as far as scheduled service.

(beyond the 60k plug change you have nothing on scheduled service for the car other than oil and filter changes, a brake fluid change ever 2 years/30k, and coolant change every 5 years/100k)
This is probably the best news and review I've read yet. As long as he and I stay on the maintenance, how long do you think this car will last him mileage-wise? He's graduating HS this year and I'd like it to last him at least through college (4-5 more years). Assuming 12-15K a year, will this car last him to 130-140,000 miles with good maintenance? Any major late milage issues I should be aware of?
Old 10-26-10, 01:38 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

$15k?! Geez, that's a good deal assuming the car is in good working order.
Old 10-26-10, 03:22 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Car will last probably upwards of 200k if there were no major issues with the car already (that have been reported or not). My folks did the same with me. Bought me a brand new IS350 in high school 3.5 years ago, but I plan to keep it until it completely dies to get the full value out of it. Although I would be weary that the car might end up getting keyed in high school (happened to me).
Old 10-26-10, 04:33 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

I just passed 90K miles on my 2007 IS250 RWD AT with premium package. Zero mechanical issues. 100% confidence I could take it to 150K+ with no major problems. The 90K service is majorly expensive though. The other big one is around 60K miles so make sure she got it done.

The only thing stopping me is the itch for another car
Old 10-26-10, 04:56 PM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

I bought an '06 IS 250 with about ~68K on it. I'm on 72,XXX in change and she is running beautifully.

I didn't care about the speed and would rather have the better MPG, and the carbon build-up issue isn't as much cause of concern as people tend to believe here. People will push towards an IS 350 here because of the speed and minimal additional costs, but I didn't care about extra HP.

Quick Reply: Reliability on used IS250?