IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Question for those who have the low brake dust TSB done

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-10, 12:13 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for those who have the low brake dust TSB done

I was told by the service manager at Lexus that getting the low brake dust pads will effect my braking in a negative way. Do you guys notice any difference in braking with the new low dust pads? He says the ones that are currently on the vehicle are high performance pads and offer better braking. Im undecided now if I should get the TSB done. Im currently using armoral brake dust/dirt repellant on my front wheels so they dont get so dirty as quickly. Without it the wheels are dirty in like 3-4 days.
Old 10-24-10, 12:27 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the lost in performance is very very minimal. in fact you'll probably never be able to tell. i cant even tell, the only reason I think there's a decrease in performance is because i read it somewhere. However there is an obvious decrease in brake dust.

so if your planning on getting the TSB done, just do it, your service rep is probably just lazy
Old 10-24-10, 01:03 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

The dealer will tell you that story so that they wont have to do it for you. i say get it done i have and there no difference and im pretty even cheap pads will stop the same
Old 10-24-10, 02:08 PM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by laobo979
The dealer will tell you that story so that they wont have to do it for you. i say get it done i have and there no difference and im pretty even cheap pads will stop the same
^^^^+1 Yea they will tell you ANYTHING so they dont have to do it. I got mine done and It feeld better I think.
Old 10-24-10, 02:16 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by laobo979
Regardless of what dealer may or may not tell you, there is a difference.
However not sure if there's a difference in performance, but it will definitely feel different when you press the pedal. It's like you gotta press it harder to stop, but that's i guess due to break pads being soft(dusty pads)/hard(no dust pads)
Old 10-24-10, 02:54 PM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

Its gonna stop the same in the end.....If you want to step on ur brakes and fly to the front of your steering wheel every time then go ahead and keep your pads, if you want a smoother stop then get the TSB done
Old 10-24-10, 04:34 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JMcDonald
Its gonna stop the same in the end.....If you want to step on ur brakes and fly to the front of your steering wheel every time then go ahead and keep your pads, if you want a smoother stop then get the TSB done
lol funny you say that cuz ive definitely done that. I just thought it was how the car was. All cars tend to brake differently. My daily driver is a different car so when I get back into my lex on the weekends I gotta get use to the braking. So getting the TSB will give me a smoother braking?
Old 10-24-10, 05:04 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The brakes feel more sensitive pre-TSIB but there isn't an actual change in stopping distance. Don't let the dealer BS you, just get it done, preferably when tour pads are somewhat worn (but not completely or they will tell you no).
Old 10-24-10, 05:20 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The stopping power and distance is essentially the same. The dustless brakes feel is more linear that you can control the braking power.

I had mine done when I gotten my 2007 IS250 AWD. Before I gotten my Lexus, I actually test driven the 2008/2009 models but apparently they already had the dustless on them. When I gotten my 2007, I did not realize they were the pre-TSBs as I felt like the brakes were pressing too hard when I pressed little and noticed dust forming on the rims within a week.
Old 10-24-10, 06:06 PM
ltzSupra
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What exactly do you tell your service rep to get this TSB done? I don't want to just say my brakes dust really fast, is there a way you can fix it? Because I am 18 years old and from what I believe, they will take me for a ride out of laziness not to do work on my car. Thanks!
Old 10-24-10, 07:03 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ltzSupra
What exactly do you tell your service rep to get this TSB done? I don't want to just say my brakes dust really fast, is there a way you can fix it? Because I am 18 years old and from what I believe, they will take me for a ride out of laziness not to do work on my car. Thanks!
I would simply tell them the brake dust because they will warrent it under TSB. I found about it indirectly because I brought my car in because it felt like the brakes were pressing too hard when I first got it. The service rep told me that I could change my brake pads under brake dust as the reason (but cannot write down as brakes too hard because that is not under reason for TSB) as they said there were alternative brake pads which can be used for this car. I waited a week later then decided to change it out as I gradually began to notice my rims getting black.

After changing the pads, the brakes feel what a Lexus should feel like.

Last edited by Sango; 10-24-10 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-24-10, 07:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

I liked the alternate pads a lot better. Less dust, and the same pedal effort for street use. Ignore the "reduced performance" line of crap, it's just a warning they're required to give in hopes of avoiding paying for installing another set of pads for your car at Lexus's expense.
Old 10-24-10, 09:16 PM
Stun350
Rookie

I got this TSB done and didn't notice any changes in braking. The only thing that DID happen was that after getting the "less dust" brakepads installed my brakes started screetching. Took that car back in and complained about the noise and they resurfaced my rotors and buffed my brake pads all free of charge. That took care of it.
Old 10-25-10, 05:52 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stun350
I got this TSB done and didn't notice any changes in braking. The only thing that DID happen was that after getting the "less dust" brakepads installed my brakes started screetching. Took that car back in and complained about the noise and they resurfaced my rotors and buffed my brake pads all free of charge. That took care of it.
Nice! I'll have to remember that when I get this TSB done. I really need to sit down and read all the TSBs
Old 10-25-10, 06:30 AM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

Yea get it done, You will have smoother braking for sure.

Quick Reply: Question for those who have the low brake dust TSB done