IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlights Adjustment Screws Do Nothing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-10, 12:40 AM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Headlights Adjustment Screws Do Nothing?

i have an after market HID kit installed on my IS
and i'd like to adjust the headlights a bit higher as they are too low now
however, when i turn the screws on the vertical adjustment dials on both left and right side of the car.. the low beams do not move at all
they aren't moving up or down, left or right.
i've been turning the dial clockwise a lot and it made no difference at all!
i don't think installing an HID kit would render the headlight adjustment dial to stop working?

the only thing i'm thinking is my car is parked very close to the wall.
perhaps there's not enough distance for the low beams to travel to make a difference of the light shifting up and down as i'm turning the dial?
but i've turned it so much.. it should at least have some sort of difference even if i'm up close to the wall? my car was about 1.5m away from the wall.
Old 10-02-10, 01:09 AM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

How many rounds have you done and were your lights on (against a wall) when you do it as to see the effects?
Old 10-02-10, 07:55 AM
Hapa88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Park the car about 15 ft (5m) from a wall and shine them on it. Then adjust the screw and watch how the cutoff on one side raises based on the other. I just did my fiancee's, it requires a significant amount of turns (like 10-20 times) to notice the raising. From what I remember you need to turn the wheel counterclockwise (as if you were unscrewing it) to get it to raise the beam.
Old 10-02-10, 08:19 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

You gotta turn them kind of fast to see a difference. It takes ALOT of turns to see the change. Use a drill with a long bit but be careful not to break the plastic on the headlights
Old 10-02-10, 10:32 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You also need to adjust both screws, 2 per side, to keep them properly aligned.
Old 10-02-10, 12:12 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you do this is you have OEM HID's? I thought I read another thread that said you had to adjust something on the rear suspension.
Old 10-02-10, 01:22 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

thanks everyone for their replies!

lol alrite the reason was what i suspected
THE CAR WAS PARKED TOO CLOSE TO THE WALL
and both lights were basically shining at the same place
so as i adjusted one light and it moved up and down, the other light was shining still at the same place so it looked like nothing was moving

i'll park the car further away from a wall tonight and finish the adjustment
thank you so much guys!

and tex, yes, you can do this to adjust headlights on any model, basically it just adjusts the angle of the entire headlight housing regardless of what lights are inside
Old 10-02-10, 03:50 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Can you do this is you have OEM HID's? I thought I read another thread that said you had to adjust something on the rear suspension.
You can but it's much easier to just adjust the AFS leveler near the right rear wheel if all you're trying to do is raise the headlights a bit. That's one adjustment, rather than 4, and it'll raise them evenly.
Old 10-02-10, 07:46 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

kurtz the height adjuster ur talking about is only if i have AFS right?
if i dont have AFS lights then adjusting that wont adjust my lights evenly right?
Old 10-02-10, 10:16 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SilentWish
kurtz the height adjuster ur talking about is only if i have AFS right?
if i dont have AFS lights then adjusting that wont adjust my lights evenly right?
If you don't have auto-leveling headlights you can't adjust this way... I don't think non AFS cars still come with auto leveling, but never really checked since I don't have such a car.
Old 10-03-10, 12:32 AM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Hence i said in the other thread, the second bolt is non existing on models without AFS...
Old 10-03-10, 12:51 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ldc
Hence i said in the other thread, the second bolt is non existing on models without AFS...
You're confusing two different things.

The headlight adjustments are 2 bolts. Regardless of AFS or not. 2 bolts PER headlight.

This is shown clearly in the owners manual.

Adjust only one and your lights will be misaligned.

That's for all 2ISes regardless of AFS/HID or not.

For AFS cars they also have the option to ignore all of the above, and just adjust ONE lever on the right rear under the car, the headlight leveling sensor, and it'll raise the headlights evenly.
Old 10-03-10, 01:15 PM
Hapa88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
You're confusing two different things.

The headlight adjustments are 2 bolts. Regardless of AFS or not. 2 bolts PER headlight.

This is shown clearly in the owners manual.

Adjust only one and your lights will be misaligned.

That's for all 2ISes regardless of AFS/HID or not.

For AFS cars they also have the option to ignore all of the above, and just adjust ONE lever on the right rear under the car, the headlight leveling sensor, and it'll raise the headlights evenly.
I saw that in the manual as well, but the manual was so unclear as to what each bolt does. . Does 1 bolt adjust vertical and the other horizontal? Or does each do a combination of both? What if you only want to adjust horizontal? Or only want to adjust vertical (which was my case)? How could the process of adjusting both bolts be the fix for EVERY single misalignment case?

Regardless, I couldn't access the 2nd bolt without completely removing all of the plastic covers. So I only adjusted the inside bolt. From what I could tell from the beam shining on the wall, that bolt adjusted the vertical alignment. . it didn't appear to affect the horizontal at all (which I assume is what the other bolt did). Whatever the outcome the beam angle is much higher, illuminating much more of the road.
Old 10-03-10, 08:49 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hapa88
I saw that in the manual as well, but the manual was so unclear as to what each bolt does. . Does 1 bolt adjust vertical and the other horizontal? Or does each do a combination of both? What if you only want to adjust horizontal? Or only want to adjust vertical (which was my case)? How could the process of adjusting both bolts be the fix for EVERY single misalignment case?

Regardless, I couldn't access the 2nd bolt without completely removing all of the plastic covers. So I only adjusted the inside bolt. From what I could tell from the beam shining on the wall, that bolt adjusted the vertical alignment. . it didn't appear to affect the horizontal at all (which I assume is what the other bolt did). Whatever the outcome the beam angle is much higher, illuminating much more of the road.
lol same with me
i only found the vertical bolt and was too lazy to look for the horizontal bolt
Old 10-03-10, 09:26 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

ok well the second bolt which is impossible to get to, i shone my torch and still can't see it. If one cannot see it how is one going to "screw" it lol.

Can sone please PLEASE get a cleat pic of this second bolt....

Edit: i managed to feel the bolt and able to turn it (i think). Talking about working blink.

Last edited by ldc; 10-03-10 at 10:57 PM.