IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 01-07-15, 04:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-15, 09:10 PM
isbbq
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MWIS350
You can call Lexus headquarter in California to let them run your Vin# for dasboard recall. just got my done at dealer 2 week ago.
thanks, let me call them tmr
Old 06-09-15, 04:19 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tried to take mine in this coming weekend to be looked at. This is my wife's car and she drives it to work M-F and won't drive my truck, so I make weekend appointments for her car to go in. They called me back (was going to get the fuel leak recall done at the same time) and said they only do the dash/door panels M-F for inspection by the dealer manager to verify that it needs replaced. I'll have to take it in during the week to get it looked at I suppose. In addition to that she sent me a letter detailing the procedure. Apparently they can only order ES350 parts right now and are limited to 3 per week, one each of the colors.. The IS dashes aren't expected until Phase 4 sometime in August. Attached is a scan of the letter:

Old 06-23-16, 08:46 PM
jennaantic
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus IS250 Dash and Door SCAM!!

We purchased a Lexus is250 in Florida. After driving it for about a year the door panels and the dashboard began to melt. Literally like goo up and melt! We received a letter from the dealership that this issue was under a warranty enhancement program and we would be able to receive replacements from Lexus at no cost to us. Thrilled about this we put our name on the list and began to wait for our car to be fixed. ONE YEAR LATER only 5 cars have been fixed. Upon calling Lexus to complain they said "they are on back-order." However, they can continue to make new cars and sell those. What I hear is they are not standing behind their product and do not care about the customers who already have given them money... Just new customers. The car is so bad that we virtually can not drive it. The goop from the doors has melted on to the seats and it ruins your clothing. The goop from the dashboard has begun to melt onto the steering wheel and the dashboard has also ruined the shift pannel as the goop has melted onto it. Their warrenty program is a SCAM! They are fixing 3-5 cars every 6 months to say they are doing something. They offered me a dashboard cover which will clip on, but that would forfit my place on this non-existant list. I have never been so angry. I spent 20k on this vehicle and it is a piece of ***!

Upon calling the Lexus corporate line I was told that a manager would call me back on Monday. It is now Thursday and she is just now getting around to it. When asking her why she informed me "I SIMPLY FORGOT" Lisa from customer care who claims to be a manager actually laughed at me when I asked her to esclate my claim to the next level. She said "HAHA MAM WE ARE ALL AWARE" I have never been spoken to in such a rude and disrespectful manner. I am appaled by their lack of care for their customers and I can not beleive they have people who have so little respect for their clients calling pretending to be managers.

BOTTOM LINE: I DID NOT GET WHAT I PAID FOR. BE CAREFUL WHEN PURCHASING AN IS AND DO NOT EXPECT TO RECEIVE ANY CUSTOMER SERVICE.

There is a class action law suit against Lexus for the IS models. We will be persuing this. When told we could trade in the vehicle and not have any reprocutions on the value based on this defect my dealership said "Well going rate on the auction is 8k, and I would have to auction it off because I can't put a car with doors like that on my lot." So BS for not being penalized for the condition of the doors and dash!
Old 06-24-16, 03:36 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Try driving down to the dealer and speak to someone in person. I had mine fixed in an extremely timely manor. But I never called Lexus corp. I chose to drive down to my local dealership. So they can see the dashboard first hand. Put on some old clothes and drive it there, or early when its not quite as hot out yet. A face to face interaction will go further than speaking to someone who quite frankly may never talk to you again. Your local dealer may have more at stake , keeping you , their customer happy. In the mean time , try using a windshield sun shade and buy another if your car doesnt have the rear shade. And maybe tinting will help get you by until they can get your car in to be repaired. Btw , I went in for an oil change and asked them to look at my dash. I had it installed a month later while getting my state inspection. Good luck!
Old 06-24-16, 11:45 AM
vinz8
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Did any Canadian owners have this replaced?
Old 06-27-16, 09:37 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

I just got a call for my 4 door panels. It' appears after a year and 3 month wait, I'm finally getting it all replaced.

Lexus of Akron canton.
Old 06-28-16, 01:16 PM
SwedeMetal
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My dash is now done and my god it looks so much better. No more extreme SHINE and sticky. Just a nice clean MATTE surface. I'm not even going to use any sort of cleaner that puts ANY shine on it.

ZERO ETA GIVEN TO ME ON DOOR PANELS OR AIRBAGS. None, not even a guess. My theory is that they did WAY MORE dashboards than door panels.

My panels are bad. If my car is in sun with window down, you could smear your finger on it and make streaks/stains down the panel. Amazing what that material does when sun hits it. I even have mega dark tint and the sun still manages to get to the panels enough to affect them.

My dealer took care of me though on the dash, could not be any happier with the service so I am pleased to see Lexus correcting this issue and doing right by the owners...

Now if I only I could get my doors done, but I have a feeling it will be a very long wait.