IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 01-07-15, 04:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.

Old 02-21-15, 03:02 PM
harper7
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

Finally got mine. Taking it in to Sewell for the Fuel Pressure Sensor Leak(ELF)safety recall pretty soon so I'll see about getting on the waiting list for parts for this.
Attached Thumbnails My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.-img_2893.jpg  
Old 04-16-15, 10:47 AM
Bdub619
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

All of you that are getting these letters, are you still under a Lexus (extended) warranty?

I bought my 2006 IS350 used a couple years ago, just hit over 100K miles and have no warranty. My doors and dash are also getting sticky when exposed to direct sunlight.
Old 04-20-15, 02:40 AM
LISAF3R
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bdub619
All of you that are getting these letters, are you still under a Lexus (extended) warranty?

I bought my 2006 IS350 used a couple years ago, just hit over 100K miles and have no warranty. My doors and dash are also getting sticky when exposed to direct sunlight.
Just a question, have you been to a Lexus dealership for any maintenance while you've owned the car? I have owned my 2007 is350 less than a year and took it to my local Lexus dealership for a simple oil change and My car had several recalls piled up. My service advisor and I came to the conclusion the second owner of my car never used Lexus for maintenance. Then here I come, the third owner. I did not buy my car from a lexus dealership, am the third owner, no warranty attached to me. I believe all it takes is a visit to lexus, talk to a service advisor to run your Vin number for recalls. The recalls will instantly pop up on their screen. It'll also give them a chance to get your mailing info for future recalls. This was MY experience anyway . Hope this helps! Good luck!
Old 04-20-15, 07:18 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Bdub619

There is no requirement that the car needs to be in any kind of warranty, but it's limited to 10 years so you might or might not qualify since your car is 2006. Check with the dealer or sign up at Lexus's Drivers website to see recalls and when the car was first sold.
Old 04-21-15, 10:29 PM
Sleepy504
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Answers soon

Originally Posted by leecm
I bought an IS250 used in March and I love it except for one thing. I didn't notice it until after I bought it and tried cleaning the inside of the windshield with a microfiber cloth in the blazing hot sun. I set the cloth on the dash while I sprayed the invisible glass and when I pulled the cloth off, a lot of the fibers were stuck to the dash, which had become sticky in the hot sun. I didn't realize it then, but I'd end up putting permanent pits in my dash while trying to pick the stuck fibers off with my fingernail. The thing is I noticed it was sticky before that happened but it didn't occur to me that it was going to be so soft and delicate to scratches until then.

Now I'm very careful with the dash (which can be annoyance) but it seems no matter how hard I try, new scratches seem to appear every other week somehow. Even my Heatshield causes light surface scratches or "scrapes" if I take it off or put it on the wrong way. I have to make sure that I push it flat up against the windshield when putting it on, making sure nothing touches the dash, and reversing that method when taking it off. Even so, I've managed to mess it up when I wasn't paying attention.

Another random scratch. Dunno what caused it.

The pits I left when trying to take the fibers off of the sticky dash with my fingernails. The thing is, I don't remember digging in to the dash like this. I would think that would be something I would remember doing. I was pretty careful to just "grab" the fibers with my fingernails, but who knows. Maybe I did the damage. It was either that or I bought the car with these already there, but I don't remember them being there when I bought it. Though, I didn't exactly look, either.

Just some random scratch. I don't know how it happened. Pretty much par for the course.

These are the scrapes that the Heatshield leaves if it creases during removal and rubs against the dash on a hot day. Also, notice how the dash has been getting scratched up on the left side of the picture? That is the edge of the heatshield causing that, and it can't really be avoided, so it scratches every time the heatshield is used. Also, notice the lint and stuff all over the dash? Yeah, that's a constant issue. A day after I clean it off, it's back.

What could have caused the dash to get sticky and delicate like this? Could it have come from the factory like this? Could it have been a third party product that someone along the line applied to it and caused a chemical reaction? If the latter is the case, I'm going to guess it was the used car dealer (a dealer I had a really good experience with and would do business with again, all things considered) because the dash was in perfect condition when I bought it. It could not have been in this good of shape had the previous owner had to drive every day in this car in Miami (where it was originally leased) unless they never used a sunshield and never touched the dash unless with white gloves and in the shade.

I just had a 2007 is350 shipped to me from Florida. Needless to say, my dash and doors are melting. I repair interiors for a living and haven't seen anything like it. I will figure out a cheaper fix
Old 04-28-15, 03:09 PM
Bdub619
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LISAF3R
Just a question, have you been to a Lexus dealership for any maintenance while you've owned the car? I have owned my 2007 is350 less than a year and took it to my local Lexus dealership for a simple oil change and My car had several recalls piled up. My service advisor and I came to the conclusion the second owner of my car never used Lexus for maintenance. Then here I come, the third owner. I did not buy my car from a lexus dealership, am the third owner, no warranty attached to me. I believe all it takes is a visit to lexus, talk to a service advisor to run your Vin number for recalls. The recalls will instantly pop up on their screen. It'll also give them a chance to get your mailing info for future recalls. This was MY experience anyway . Hope this helps! Good luck!
Yeah, I've taken it to a local Lexus dealer here in SD but they are awful. I had them do the last recall (engine recall, early 2014) and they screwed up my hood and didn't set it right and lost half my engine cover pins. I had them fix it on the spot. They're also notorious for scrapping rims and lips so I planned on never going back. I take my car to another Lexus Pro shop and they do awesome work and are also less expensive than the dealer. But I do have a service advisor at the dealership so I'll hit him up and see if I qualify for the recall (I should, car was bought mid 2006). The previous owner would only take my car to the dealer so luckily they know my car pretty well (until early 2014 anyway). Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by Bdub619; 04-28-15 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-03-15, 12:53 AM
isbbq
Driver

Originally Posted by harper7
Finally got mine. Taking it in to Sewell for the Fuel Pressure Sensor Leak(ELF)safety recall pretty soon so I'll see about getting on the waiting list for parts for this.
Anybody know the reason why i didnt received this letter? i am 1st owner. thanks
Old 06-03-15, 10:19 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by isbbq
Anybody know the reason why i didnt received this letter? i am 1st owner. thanks
Do you have a IS? If so what model year?

Or do you have a BBQ?
Old 06-03-15, 12:16 PM
isbbq
Driver

Originally Posted by is-sv
do you have a is? If so what model year?

Or do you have a bbq?
:d 07 is250
Old 06-03-15, 12:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:d 07 is250

Are you getting anything from Lexus? These cars have had numerous recalls over last 5 years. Maybe your address changed?
Old 06-03-15, 03:29 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You can call Lexus headquarter in California to let them run your Vin# for dasboard recall. just got my done at dealer 2 week ago.
Old 06-03-15, 03:37 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sleepy504
I just had a 2007 is350 shipped to me from Florida. Needless to say, my dash and doors are melting. I repair interiors for a living and haven't seen anything like it. I will figure out a cheaper fix
Just got my done 2 week ago for free at dealer. Dasboard, and door.
Old 06-03-15, 05:10 PM
Zatrekaz
Rookie

Called my Dealer today and got on the schedule for the fuel pressure recall, asked about the dash/door panels.. they said it was going to be the end of Summer before they got any in. This is after two 3 month delays.

Anyone know if they are stalling or something? Would I be able to go/schedule mine with another dealer? I did get a letter.
Old 06-03-15, 07:51 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Zatrekaz
Called my Dealer today and got on the schedule for the fuel pressure recall, asked about the dash/door panels.. they said it was going to be the end of Summer before they got any in. This is after two 3 month delays.

Anyone know if they are stalling or something? Would I be able to go/schedule mine with another dealer? I did get a letter.
I would try different dealer. That's how I got my done quick, but where I live Minnesota most people do not have issue with crack dasboard or door.
Old 06-03-15, 09:08 PM
isbbq
Driver

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Are you getting anything from Lexus? These cars have had numerous recalls over last 5 years. Maybe your address changed?
i did updated my address on www.lexusdriver.com and never received any letter from lexus.
dealer done all recalls for me but never mention sticky dashboard recall.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.