IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 01-07-15, 04:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-14, 10:27 PM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had same issue complained to dealer after a week they to replace for free of charge
Attached Thumbnails My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.-x.jpg   My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.-y.jpg   My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.-z.jpg  
Old 02-21-14, 07:09 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Shervin350
i had same issue complained to dealer after a week they to replace for free of charge
Do you mind disclosing which dealership you dealt with? It's hard not to be nosey here, but I'm trying to get my issue resolved as well.....and your picture includes a shot of your navigation and I know exactly where you are.

Last edited by Tungstn-IS; 02-21-14 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-21-14, 07:50 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by F-LEX350
signed. I tried the 303 Aerospace Cleaner Protectant and seems to be working.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400155906442...84.m1439.l2649
has anyone else tried this 303 Protectant stuff?
Old 02-21-14, 09:26 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
I have a big bottle of it, I haven't used it on my dash though. Works really good on exterior trim and such though.
Old 02-21-14, 09:09 PM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Westside Lexus brother

Originally Posted by Tungstn-IS
Do you mind disclosing which dealership you dealt with? It's hard not to be nosey here, but I'm trying to get my issue resolved as well.....and your picture includes a shot of your navigation and I know exactly where you are.
Old 02-21-14, 09:52 PM
dabIS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
We need a controlled experiment on this problem. Anyone have a salvaged dash on which to leave 1/3rd of the surface untreated, 1/3rd protectant (I'd vote for Mothers), and 1/3 303? Leave the dash sitting in the sun all day, every day, preferrably where it gets blazing hot. I'm loathe to put anything on the dash surface, but I dislike the whitish drab surface of an untreated dash surface. I've had no problems with Mothers protectant on all my cars, but this princess-machine (IS250) is reportedly in another category when it comes to such things as dashboards.

On another topic, I wonder if someone should start a thread: "Why do you keep your IS250 when there are so many known problems"? Or, "What would be the final straw to make you dump your IS250"? I bring this up because almost daily I contemplate whether its time to sell my IS and move on.
Old 02-22-14, 09:35 AM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

Recently got lexus to do both my dash & driver/passenger side door panels for free! But I still feel like this will happen again...They should have just done anyway with the materials used that makes it fall apart & get all sticky esp in the southern states where I live...& just went with the same plastic dash used in the es350 & rx350...Has anyone found a product that might prevent the sticky/falling apart from happening ?
Old 02-22-14, 10:32 AM
FrictionSc
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Pivo154 how many mile do you have on your car and what dealership did you take it too?
Old 02-22-14, 03:26 PM
bruins678
Rookie

Originally Posted by julies
Follow this link https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

The Agent at NHTSA said that anyone with this issue could file a complaint so everyone go online or call. Also try your attorney general.
Signing the change.org petition is a start, but I think a hundred of us taking the time to file a complaint above would have much more effect.

I took the time to file one..I think it's not only a cosmetic concern but a safety one as well. My dashboard reflected a huge amount of glare onto the windshield, not to mention the strong chemical smell may be potentially toxic over the long-term. It's not a unique situation, it's systemic.

In the very least Lexus should be treating every customer the same about this problem... some of us are getting completely free fixes, some partial, and some nothing at all.
Old 02-24-14, 08:30 AM
Gr33nHrn3t
Driver

Originally Posted by bruins678
Signing the change.org petition is a start, but I think a hundred of us taking the time to file a complaint above would have much more effect.

I took the time to file one..I think it's not only a cosmetic concern but a safety one as well. My dashboard reflected a huge amount of glare onto the windshield, not to mention the strong chemical smell may be potentially toxic over the long-term. It's not a unique situation, it's systemic.

In the very least Lexus should be treating every customer the same about this problem... some of us are getting completely free fixes, some partial, and some nothing at all.
^Everyone please file a complaint with NHTSA because I had mine filed last November in the hopes of a callback within 30 days but it never happened. I, too, have a shiny glare reflection from the windshield and it is very dangerous to drive.
So I called NHTSA today and the representative said maybe the reason why no action has been taken is because there were not enough complaints were filed. If there were enough complaints then the investigator would have taken action....
Everyone FILE NOW! https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml
Old 02-24-14, 10:49 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Shervin350
Westside Lexus brother
Cool, thanks man. I've been talking to Northside about this, if it goes nowhere maybe I can give Westside a shot.
Old 03-04-14, 07:15 PM
Chetmanley
Driver School Candidate

Default I had the same thing happen...

I have 115k miles on my 2006 is 250 . I live in NJ and have parked my car in a garage for 5 of the 7 years I have had it. My dashboard is melting apart and it never gets crazy hot here. Even now in the midst of this polar vortex the dash is still tacky to the touch and you can wipe it apart if you try. This is obviously another major issue with the model that Lexus is trying to deny along with the engine recall. Too many people are having the exact same troubles and Lexus is just denying it's an issue and blaming the owners.
Old 03-10-14, 10:15 AM
kingdave
Driver School Candidate

I must admit that I've been really surprised and disappointed at Lexus' response to this. I bought a 2nd Lexus because my first one ('01 IS300) was such a great experience. It's bad enough that this problem occurs and that Lexus knows all about it, but what really rubs salt in the wound is the disparity in how it gets addressed from one dealer to the next. I paid full price ( $1800 parts and labor) for a new dash and no service person at Sterling McCall Lexus ever made a peep about this being a known issue. Other people have gotten the same work done for free or reduced cost. This makes the idea of an Audi A5 as my next car all the more appealing.

Last edited by kingdave; 03-10-14 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-10-14, 03:43 PM
Jaxon1023
Driver School Candidate

I was quoted 800 for a new dash. I think it should be free also. All the door panels are doing the samething.
Old 03-18-14, 07:32 PM
TXcowboy
Driver School Candidate

Default Complaint file

Originally Posted by Gr33nHrn3t
^Everyone please file a complaint with NHTSA because I had mine filed last November in the hopes of a callback within 30 days but it never happened. I, too, have a shiny glare reflection from the windshield and it is very dangerous to drive.
So I called NHTSA today and the representative said maybe the reason why no action has been taken is because there were not enough complaints were filed. If there were enough complaints then the investigator would have taken action....
Everyone FILE NOW! https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml
I contacted Lexus Corporate and they don't want to do anything about my melting dashboard. I just filed a complaint too with the NHTSA. Lexus should replace all melting dashboard panels without giving the owner any headaches. These cars are not cheap and the materials to manufacture them should not be cheap. I own a 2007 Lexus IS250 and bought it brand new fully loaded. The TSIB that Lexus has issued only applies for 48 months or 50K miles. And the melting of dashboard panel occurred after the 50K. My next car will definitely not be a Lexus.

Quick Reply: My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.