IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 01-07-15, 04:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-13, 12:08 AM
tigerbalm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just signed as well
Old 11-04-13, 10:17 AM
christybun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DonYojan
just signed it
Where is the petition
Old 11-04-13, 10:47 AM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pls go back and re-read; link is previous page.
Old 11-04-13, 03:37 PM
7tisix
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Petition

Signed
Old 11-04-13, 07:43 PM
christybun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by christybun
Where is the petition

Signed it! Thank you all. I hope we get help for this problem...
Old 11-04-13, 07:53 PM
christybun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nosurprise
I don't think it's related to cleaners -- though using it doesn't help. There are people that doesn't use anything and the problem occurs. I think anything older than late 2008 IS will have the issue (from what I understand, Lexus changed the dash construction on later models).

This seems to come from trying to design soft touchable dash for luxury cars. How often does anyone touch the dash? I would rather have a solid dash without these issues. The newer 2014 IS has "leather" cover. Hopefully that can withstand the heat and doesn't crack in 5 years.
Hi, I have never used a cleaner on my dash board or door panels other than warm water. Everything sticks to it and If I use cloth to wipe then I get fibers of the cloth all over it. It looks dirty because the dust sticks to it. So embarrassing :-(
Old 11-04-13, 10:33 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

You should contact Lexus corporate to see if they're willing to cover the parts. There are people who have been able to get Lexus to cover the parts and you only pay for labor at the dealer.

Another solution that someone did is to use some kind of chemical to completely strip away the soft sticky part, leaving a hard dash -- that doesn't look bad from what I can tell.
Old 11-09-13, 08:31 AM
7tisix
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by christybun
Hi, I have never used a cleaner on my dash board or door panels other than warm water. Everything sticks to it and If I use cloth to wipe then I get fibers of the cloth all over it. It looks dirty because the dust sticks to it. So embarrassing :-(
Wait until the interior is cool. Let the A/C cool off the interior in the shade for a while, then do the dash and panel areas nearest to glass first before they warm.

Oh yeah, I had a bad experience cleaning the inside glass too. My hand slipped and my thumbnail grooved the top of a door panel. Keep your fingernails short! Be careful when cleaning windows too.
Old 11-10-13, 10:28 AM
06350F
Lead Lap

I purchased a used 06 is350 with 100+ miles. My car is going into the dealer for the cam gear recall and I'll ask them about this issue.

I also have a problem on the drivers door pannel where your hand would grab it. That area has chipping sections that are driving me crazy!!!

My car was garage kept but the dash is starting to get sticky. I had the entire wined sheild tinted with ceramic tint. I then used black Majic interior detail cleaner on the entire surface. The dash has soaked up about five bottles in the last two weeks. It's a very grease chemical but seems to be working.
Old 11-13-13, 09:41 AM
atlbravfn
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to everyone who has posted about this issue. I too have it on my 07 IS 250. That condition has been that way for a year before I finally decided to research about it and found this. Took it to the dealer who took pictures and sent it to corporate. Their first offer was 10% off. I countered with they pay the dash and I'll pay the labor since that is what they have done for others. Two weeks later they called and said that would work. It's now on back order so I'm waiting for it to come in. They said labor would be about $330.
Old 11-13-13, 05:57 PM
DicedSix
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by atlbravfn
Thanks to everyone who has posted about this issue. I too have it on my 07 IS 250. That condition has been that way for a year before I finally decided to research about it and found this. Took it to the dealer who took pictures and sent it to corporate. Their first offer was 10% off. I countered with they pay the dash and I'll pay the labor since that is what they have done for others. Two weeks later they called and said that would work. It's now on back order so I'm waiting for it to come in. They said labor would be about $330.
What dealership in FL?

PM me if you dont want to post it.

Thanks.
Old 11-13-13, 06:16 PM
venom1515
Driver School Candidate

Can you please PM the FL dealership also I am curious to have mine done as well
Old 11-14-13, 01:58 PM
kingdave
Driver School Candidate

+1

This year I purchased an '07 IS250 from Sterling McCall Lexus in Houston, TX. At first I thought the dash was just shiny from something they'd detailed the car with. Then I realized that the shiny wouldn't wipe off and the dash was also sticky. After a few days in the Houston sun (the car originated in California) the problem got worse. I took it in for service and they said that I'd need a new dash. No mention of a TSB or it being a known problem. Nobody gave me an explanation as to why. The problem also exists with both front door panels.

I forked over about $1200 for a new dash. I replaced the passenger side door panel with a 2010 I found on ebay (NIB) for $200.
Old 11-18-13, 06:50 AM
christybun
Driver School Candidate

I was told by lexus of tampa bay that the dash will be $500 In labor!!! Why do I have to pay for labor for a defective item. Also they will not fix door panels. All 4 door panels have chunks missing and dash is CRACKED. So mad.... So I am not paying labor, I don't have the extra money for that. It's not fair.
Old 02-20-14, 02:48 PM
crapoud
Driver

Same issue as everyone here. So sad to see this beautiful car melt away. Bought new in 2006 is250. I got Lexus corp to cover the parts and labor is on me. The problem is why is labor 500+! Anyone have a friend at JM lexus in Pompano? Would greatly help me out.

Quick Reply: My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.