IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 01-07-15, 04:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-14, 11:46 AM
boogielex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how old are those shocks and struts you have WeareGiant? if they still really good I might be interested. would they fit a 96 sc400? let me know
Old 06-28-14, 03:31 PM
IS25006
Driver School Candidate

Did this today for the back of my IS. Went surprisingly well. The rubber tears off pretty easily around the emblems, helps to cut a bit around it before you start to peel. I did have a couple little areas of a little coming off but it's barely noticeable. Thanks for the idea!
Old 06-28-14, 06:52 PM
WNYX
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, count me in. I'm not sure about the spoiler yet (but the fact that there are white spots where I missed might make my decision easier). Also, the AWD has a little part of the chrome peeking through.
Removing the excess material from the middle of the A was so tough! And some of my letters have tiny nicks from where the toothpick hit it while I was trying to remove the excess material. The good thing is that it's relatively easy to do, so no problems redoing it later.

A quick question for those that have already done this. When I tried to remove some of the excess material, it wound up snapping underneath the emblems. In the future, if I decide to remove the Plasti Dip, will the material underneath the emblems come along? I'm worried about it being stuck under there.

Thanks for the easy to follow tutorial, wearegiant.
Attached Thumbnails DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!-20140628_192958.jpg  
Old 07-25-14, 07:41 AM
xZhongChen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WNYX
Well, count me in. I'm not sure about the spoiler yet (but the fact that there are white spots where I missed might make my decision easier). Also, the AWD has a little part of the chrome peeking through.
Removing the excess material from the middle of the A was so tough! And some of my letters have tiny nicks from where the toothpick hit it while I was trying to remove the excess material. The good thing is that it's relatively easy to do, so no problems redoing it later.

A quick question for those that have already done this. When I tried to remove some of the excess material, it wound up snapping underneath the emblems. In the future, if I decide to remove the Plasti Dip, will the material underneath the emblems come along? I'm worried about it being stuck under there.

Thanks for the easy to follow tutorial, wearegiant.
I the same model as you, and now i want to make the spoiler black... I think i might almost be done with my first can of plastidip. Its unfortunate that plastidip doubled in price since last year here...

In the mean time, I finally got around to plastidipping my front grill. No more chrome!

I shouldnt have bothered removing the excess from the rubber piece between the hood and the grill... theres a tiny silver lining you can see if you look closely
Old 04-19-15, 12:44 AM
Dylan7458
Driver School Candidate

Works great! Not on a Lexus but works on any emblem obviously. Takes a lot of patients but good turn out

Old 04-20-15, 01:56 PM
andper10
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Not going to read 76 pages. Anyone with pictures and/or experience with black plastidip and glossifier? Planning to black out my chrome but I don't like the matte finish.
Old 04-20-15, 02:18 PM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by andper10
Not going to read 76 pages. Anyone with pictures and/or experience with black plastidip and glossifier? Planning to black out my chrome but I don't like the matte finish.
I used the glossifier after plasti dipping. It faded pretty quik for me didn't stay glossy.
Old 07-04-15, 05:19 PM
dc5423
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xZhongChen
I the same model as you, and now i want to make the spoiler black... I think i might almost be done with my first can of plastidip. Its unfortunate that plastidip doubled in price since last year here...

In the mean time, I finally got around to plastidipping my front grill. No more chrome!

I shouldnt have bothered removing the excess from the rubber piece between the hood and the grill... theres a tiny silver lining you can see if you look closely
How did you get the clear piece of the front emblem?
Old 07-20-15, 10:32 AM
cristy
Driver School Candidate

Looks good, I'm going to try doing it again. I had tried it before with my IS but when I plastdipped it it kept going behind the emblems. It could be that the emblems aren't secured properly to the car. I tried white the first time, but I think I will be going with black! thanks for the step by step tutorial!
Old 07-27-15, 09:04 AM
AlexiaMom
Rookie

Hmmm I might do this in purple
Old 07-30-15, 03:58 PM
CarDesignr
Driver School Candidate

Default Plasti dip silver metalizer

Hey guys, I tried dipping the front grille and emblems, but I didn't like the matte black finish, so I tried out the silver metalizer. I did 4 coats of matte black with 4 coats of silver metalizer on top, here's how it turned out:
Attached Thumbnails DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!-dip1.jpg   DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!-dip2.jpg   DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!-dip3.jpg  
Old 12-01-16, 07:46 AM
PattiPatti
Driver School Candidate

Default It's so easy, even A GIRL CAN DO IT! (PlastiDip) 2016 IS350 Fsport

Old 12-01-16, 09:48 AM
Pablorock
Driver

Read this awhile ago, and may do it as well (not a fan of the chrome). But when I checked the price out on amazon, it asked me to check if it fit my vehicle. But to my disappointment, a can of "Performix 11203 Plasti Dip Black Multi-Purpose Rubber Coasting Aerosol - 11 ox." does not fit my 2008 IS250.
Old 03-14-17, 04:07 AM
JH300GS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sr20mofo
i wonder how many cans would it take to spray the whole car lol
theres an equation on the plastidip website to figure out how many cans you'll need for the whole car( videos on YouTube as well) but plastidip also sells a kit to paint the whole car with all the equipment and "paint" necessary to do so at roughly 300$ if I'm not mistaken. Check out dipyourcar.com
Old 03-15-17, 07:06 AM
Pablorock
Driver

Originally Posted by JH300GS
theres an equation on the plastidip website to figure out how many cans you'll need for the whole car( videos on YouTube as well) but plastidip also sells a kit to paint the whole car with all the equipment and "paint" necessary to do so at roughly 300$ if I'm not mistaken. Check out dipyourcar.com
Friend did this to his BMW (an e36). Some shade of white. It was in the greatest shape (aside form the engine mods), so he figured he would give it shot. It looked good at first, but once it started to get dirty, it just looked dirty. And he said it was no joy to wash.

Quick Reply: DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!