IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 01-07-15, 04:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-12, 06:00 PM
ChaseRaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done all my emblems an an all the chrome pieces also an I have never had problem...
Old 08-23-12, 02:10 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Seems like there's a new Plasti-Dip in town! Anyone try this on their emblems? http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UDabm6nMqCI
Old 08-23-12, 03:31 PM
meis250
Driver

I dipped my emblems and rims about a month ago and so far so good.
After washing the car I used the tire shine on the rims and they looked brand new.
Very happy camper here...
DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!-dip-emblem.jpg

DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!-dip-wheel.jpg

DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!-dip-back.jpg
Old 08-23-12, 03:37 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone had any problems with their dipped rims and tire rotations?
Old 09-23-12, 04:03 PM
elvisNGO
Driver School Candidate

Tried this out yesterday on my grill and emblem and I had mixed results.

The grilled turned out fine as I completely removed before spraying.

The emblems however didn't go as well. The first time around I did 4 layers with 15 minutes of waiting in between and waited an hour before trying to peel it. As I started to peel, everything just came off.

I peeled everything off, did it again and left it over night for the same result.

Now there's a bunch of stuff stuck under the emblems so I'm just gonna remove them all completely to clean and dip on their own.

How far is everybody holding their cans away from the car? I guess I was too close being only a few inches away, making the coats really thick.

Any suggestions before I remove the emblems completely?
Old 09-24-12, 10:42 PM
67camaro
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by elvisNGO
Tried this out yesterday on my grill and emblem and I had mixed results.

The grilled turned out fine as I completely removed before spraying.

The emblems however didn't go as well. The first time around I did 4 layers with 15 minutes of waiting in between and waited an hour before trying to peel it. As I started to peel, everything just came off.

I peeled everything off, did it again and left it over night for the same result.

Now there's a bunch of stuff stuck under the emblems so I'm just gonna remove them all completely to clean and dip on their own.

How far is everybody holding their cans away from the car? I guess I was too close being only a few inches away, making the coats really thick.

Any suggestions before I remove the emblems completely?
I have only painted the front chrome grill ring and I did the same steps u did with perfect results. The only thing I did differently was I cut with a razor blade to separate the bond from the tape to the rubber paint so I wouldn't chance peeling the paint off. Going to do my emblems soon
Old 10-10-12, 06:08 PM
Indyken
Driver School Candidate

Default Plasti-Dip DYI for people who want the Black Chrome Emblems

I concur, EXCELLENT EXCELLENT DIY. What I did though was rub it off the emblems and left the Plasti-Dip ON the car to serve as a mask. Then I went over thechrome emblem with the VHT Dark Tail Light spray. Waited for it to dry and then peeled the Plasti-Dip mask right off. Was left with a beautiful chrome black emblems. Photos coming tomorrow.

Ken
Old 10-10-12, 06:57 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by irocnroll
have any of you guys who have plasti dipped the front grille had any issues with peeling? rock chips ?. etc

taken from cl member
I recently did this....make sure you do it nice and thick...I don't even remember how many layers I did, pretty much finished the can (which was used to do rear emblems twice, first time didn't come out good so ripped it off)

also, just be very careful when peeling tape off of the inner grille I had some small rips but nothing serious

So far so good, no chips and washed my car few times and everything's okay..we'll see how it holds up through the winter
Old 10-10-12, 08:51 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Indyken
I concur, EXCELLENT EXCELLENT DIY. What I did though was rub it off the emblems and left the Plasti-Dip ON the car to serve as a mask. Then I went over thechrome emblem with the VHT Dark Tail Light spray. Waited for it to dry and then peeled the Plasti-Dip mask right off. Was left with a beautiful chrome black emblems. Photos coming tomorrow.

Ken

Ken would you mind explaining your self a little better?

I like plastidip but have held off because I truly want black chrome/pearl. Thanks
Old 10-11-12, 08:26 AM
mj250
Driver School Candidate

I did this to my 2007 G35x (clear coat plastidip over chrome= brushed aluminum look) I also have the metalizer and with that sprayed over they black it gives it a gunmetal look, which I plan on doing in 2 weeks when I go home on fall break, ill post pictures with the results. **side note, my buddy got bored and painted his already white F250 with the mate white platidip, it came out awesome and held up great to the elements.)
Old 10-11-12, 01:24 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I like IndyKen's idea. I was planning to do this originally (tint the emblems), but the task of removing and reinstalling the emblems made it too much of a hassle.

Yoan, basically you would mask off an area around the emblem to be painted "black chrome".

You then shoot the area with the Plasti-Dip, following the directions in this guide. But, when it comes to the step where you peel off the excess, instead you peel off the coating on the emblems ONLY. Be sure to leave the area around the Plasti-Dip'd part masked off.

Then, just shoot the exposed emblem with a tinting spray like VHT Nite Shades. This spray is used primarily by people who want to tint their taillights/corner lights/etc. You only need to apply a couple of light coats, then let it dry.

Shoot it with some clear afterwards if you want, wait for it to dry, then unmask the area and peel off the excess Plasti-Dip. Done and done! It's a little more work, but you'll get very close to the black pearl look.
Old 10-12-12, 06:00 AM
BigWiLL345
Driver

Originally Posted by nitrotang
Seems like there's a new Plasti-Dip in town! Anyone try this on their emblems? http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UDabm6nMqCI
i have Two cans sitting in the house. I will probably take the black Plastidip off and redo the embelms and grill surround in the smoke plastidip
Old 10-12-12, 10:30 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sm1ke
I like IndyKen's idea. I was planning to do this originally (tint the emblems), but the task of removing and reinstalling the emblems made it too much of a hassle.

Yoan, basically you would mask off an area around the emblem to be painted "black chrome".

You then shoot the area with the Plasti-Dip, following the directions in this guide. But, when it comes to the step where you peel off the excess, instead you peel off the coating on the emblems ONLY. Be sure to leave the area around the Plasti-Dip'd part masked off.

Then, just shoot the exposed emblem with a tinting spray like VHT Nite Shades. This spray is used primarily by people who want to tint their taillights/corner lights/etc. You only need to apply a couple of light coats, then let it dry.

Shoot it with some clear afterwards if you want, wait for it to dry, then unmask the area and peel off the excess Plasti-Dip. Done and done! It's a little more work, but you'll get very close to the black pearl look.

Thanks Mike, I understand it now and I think I will actually go that route as well. I myself was holding back because of the having to take off and reinstall the emblems but this is much easier!
Old 10-14-12, 03:44 PM
edwinjaeho
Driver School Candidate

awesome thanks
Old 11-08-12, 05:48 PM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

never seen anyone do a clear on our grill so here it goes
first is a before the rest after
Attached Thumbnails DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!-a.jpeg   DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!-b.jpeg   DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!-c.jpeg  

Quick Reply: DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!